DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Solution: Windows XP SP2 (and lower) problem with USB tethering

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    motocache1, So I've tried the hotfix, the xda (found that first actually), and the tetherxp, nothing is working for me. Everytime I try to install any driver for the droid it says the file doesnt contain information for my device. Any ideas? I'm overly irritated with it haha
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    SamsungŪ SCH-I515
    Again MotoCache1, my hat is in my hand and off to you. I was wondering why I kept getting the error you describe in this guide on my WinXP SP2 box, but not on my Win7 laptop. I just figured it was a classic case of YMMV, especially since USB tether works on my other laptop running the 'good' old corp version of XP pro that has been hacked up to SP2; go figure. You Da Man!

Anyways, for the readers, first I disabled my current NIC then I followed the instructions for the "tetherxp.inf" file with the phone plugged into my pc ending with the 'cannot start device' error. Rebooted my pc, then installed the "WindowsXP-KB959765-x86-ENU.exe" without the phone plugged in and rebooted my pc again (as MC1 already stated). Again, I made sure my current NIC was disabled (I even unplugged the cable), plugged in my phone, selected USB tether "on" and next thing ya know I was on. The only funny thing is that when I went to speedtest.net, it still showed me on Centurytel holdings (?) which is why I tried it again with all cables unplugged. Oh well, I LIKE IT!
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
    hey guys,

i downloaded and updated the four files and i know that i am running windows xp sp3. i downloaded the tetherxp.inf file as well. i am following all the steps, but when i try to install tetherxp.inf on my netbook, it says

"the specified location does not have information about your hardware".

i tried to install both the tetherxp.inf and also the netrndis.inf file as a driver, but they both give me that same message.

the phone looks okay on its end. the netbook knows that i am attaching an unknown device when i plug it in. it just won't accept either inf file as a driver. is there any way for me to force the inf file to be used as a driver to get this thing going?

thanks
    aman
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    SamsungŪ SCH-I515
    Quote Originally Posted by idforboard View Post
    and i know that i am running windows xp sp3.
    Look at the title of this thread. This fix is for Windows XP SP2 and lower. You state you have SP3, so unfortunately the files in this thread are of no use to you. You will have to ask in another thread for your solution.

good luck
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

NDIS issue Please help

i have tried all but nothing helped for me. i have install hotfix also install the driver but still got the yellow sing with my hardware. pls help i have to really sort it out this mater.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solution: Windows XP SP2 (and lower) problem with USB tethering-sa0102-2.jpg   Solution: Windows XP SP2 (and lower) problem with USB tethering-sa0102-1.jpg  
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    SamsungŪ SCH-I515
    Try doing what I did in post # 12 above or you could just install SP3 from Windows update.

good luck
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
    Try doing what I did in post # 12 above or you could just install SP3 from Windows update.

good luck
    i downloaded the tetherxp.inf file as well. i am following all the steps, but when i try to install tetherxp.inf on my PC, it says

"the specified location does not have information about your hardware".

what should i do i m running xp sp2
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    SamsungŪ SCH-I515
    The tetherxp.inf file is not the solution, the Windows hotfix is. Please carefully re-read the OP:

Initially the problem manifests itself as the XP machine asking for drivers when the Tether option is enabled on the connected phone. The answer to that has been documented (PDF archive) already -- use tetherxp.inf (alternate link) to tell XP how to use the driver files (that it already has) for the tether. The problem is - unless you've [COLOR=#812528 !important][COLOR=#812528 !important]installed[/COLOR][/COLOR] a device at some point whose drivers included an updated set of Remote NDIS (RNDIS) drivers, this will fail on XP SP2 and lower. It will appear to work up until the end of the driver installation whereupon the New Hardware Wizard will report "The device cannot start. (Code 10)".
    If followed carefully and exactly, Motocahe1's guides are flawless. If you having a problem, I'm sorry to say, it is because you are not properly follwing his instructions. I suggest you print it out and carefully follow each procedure, checking it off as you go.

good luck
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
    The tetherxp.inf file is not the solution, the Windows hotfix is. Please carefully re-read the OP:

If followed carefully and exactly, Motocahe1's guides are flawless. If you having a problem, I'm sorry to say, it is because you are not properly follwing his instructions. I suggest you print it out and carefully follow each procedure, checking it off as you go.

good luck

Thanks alot dear for your help and support the matter is resolved now by upgrading my system to sp3.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    SONY XPERIA NEO
    I have the same problem and am looking for a solution in the end since this morning, will try to post it here tomorrow, I hope that I found useful:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links