DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Why turn Wi-Fi off anytime?

  1. Droid Sensei
    SSHGuru's Avatar
    Member #
    7987
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    3,844
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #1

    Why turn Wi-Fi off anytime?

    I recently set up my local wi-fi and the speed difference is HUGE. Instead of it trying to use 3G it uses the local connection which I'm sure takes WAY less power.

    Since the Droids apps mainly use the internet I question the people who turn their wi-fi off. It makes no sense. I've left it on and my battery lasts longer.

    When I am away from the home it doesn't do anything.

    So why not leave it on all the time? It's a battery saver not a drainer.
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Senior Droid
    Chrisace89's Avatar
    Member #
    2374
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    120
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #2
    yeah i turn it off cause it drains battery.. and also i have found that my wifi is not much faster then my 3g signal.. yes it is faster so i will turn wifi on if im in class or at home.. but i will not leave it on.
  4. Droid Sensei
    SSHGuru's Avatar
    Member #
    7987
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    3,844
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #3
    Well I live in a house that pretty much blocks my signal so my phone is constantly trying to get out for a signal and that uses a TON of battery.

    When I hooked up the wi-fi it no longer has to search and it saves me a ton of battery power. When I leave the house the wi-fi signal is not on so why bother turning it off...
  5. Banned
    racklefratz's Avatar
    Member #
    8025
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    163
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SSHGuru View Post
    I recently set up my local wi-fi and the speed difference is HUGE. Instead of it trying to use 3G it uses the local connection which I'm sure takes WAY less power.

    Since the Droids apps mainly use the internet I question the people who turn their wi-fi off. It makes no sense. I've left it on and my battery lasts longer.

    When I am away from the home it doesn't do anything.

    So why not leave it on all the time? It's a battery saver not a drainer.
    That's just wrong. If you think leaving power-consuming components running all the time is a "battery saver", dream on.

    You have four radios in that phone -
    1) the cell transceiver
    2) the bluetooth transceiver
    3) the wifi transceiver
    4) the GPS receiver

    Each one of those radios takes battery power to operate. It's nearly inconceivable that there will ever be a time when you will need all of them on to do whatever it is you want to do at the time. Leaving them all on is inviting battery depletion - simple as that.

    Power on whichever radios you need to accomplish what you're doing, and turn the others off, if battery longevity is even remotely important to you.
  6. Senior Droid
    Chrisace89's Avatar
    Member #
    2374
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    120
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #5
    well if you turned it of when you left home your battery would last longer.
  7. Droid
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    Member #
    4543
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    78
    Phone
    Droid & Tour
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisace89 View Post
    well if you turned it of when you left home your battery would last longer.
    Exactly. When you leave your house with it on, it's searching for a signal until you turn it off. It drains battery. I turn it off when I leave my house...
  8. Droid Sensei
    SSHGuru's Avatar
    Member #
    7987
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    3,844
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #7

    transceivers

    And the cell transceiver takes a hundred times more power than any of the other ones. If you look at what has been taking power and you make calls then it's the screen first and calls second.

    WI-FI barely shows up on the list of things that drain the battery. Bluetooth even less.



    Quote Originally Posted by racklefratz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SSHGuru View Post
    I recently set up my local wi-fi and the speed difference is HUGE. Instead of it trying to use 3G it uses the local connection which I'm sure takes WAY less power.

    Since the Droids apps mainly use the internet I question the people who turn their wi-fi off. It makes no sense. I've left it on and my battery lasts longer.

    When I am away from the home it doesn't do anything.

    So why not leave it on all the time? It's a battery saver not a drainer.
    That's just wrong. If you think leaving power-consuming components running all the time is a "battery saver", dream on.

    You have four radios in that phone -
    1) the cell transceiver
    2) the bluetooth transceiver
    3) the wifi transceiver
    4) the GPS receiver

    Each one of those radios takes battery power to operate. It's nearly inconceivable that there will ever be a time when you will need all of them on to do whatever it is you want to do at the time. Leaving them all on is inviting battery depletion - simple as that.

    Power on whichever radios you need to accomplish what you're doing, and turn the others off, if battery longevity is even remotely important to you.
  9. Banned
    racklefratz's Avatar
    Member #
    8025
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    163
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SSHGuru View Post
    And the cell transceiver takes a hundred times more power than any of the other ones. If you look at what has been taking power and you make calls then it's the screen first and calls second. WI-FI barely shows up on the list of things that drain the battery. Bluetooth even less.
    You missed the point, which was, running ANYTHING that consumes power depletes your battery more rapidly. PERIOD.

    It isn't an issue of which component consumes the most power. The issue is, anything you have running that you don't need at the time is a waste.

    Your original, opening remark was, "why not leave wifi on all the time?". The answer is, because you don't need it on "all the time". And, if you think leaving it on "all the time" won't cost you in battery endurance, you're very wrong.
    Last edited by racklefratz; 11-29-2009 at 06:00 PM.
  10. Droid Sensei
    SSHGuru's Avatar
    Member #
    7987
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    3,844
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #9

    All the time

    Honestly,

    If you live your life by turning off every app that may take power all the time you aren't going to really enjoy the phone.

    When I had my Blackberry no one even suggested that be turned off or on. It worked when I was in my car and I was happy.

    I will treat this phone the same. And if I choose I do have a wi-fi toggle application I can hit if I'm gone for the day.

    But there is no legitimate reason other than being a little obsessive about turning stuff off and on. GPS is a necessary part of so many applications on the Droid it's silly to ever turn it off.
  11. Senior Droid
    Chrisace89's Avatar
    Member #
    2374
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    120
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SSHGuru View Post
    Honestly,

    If you live your life by turning off every app that may take power all the time you aren't going to really enjoy the phone.

    When I had my Blackberry no one even suggested that be turned off or on. It worked when I was in my car and I was happy.

    I will treat this phone the same. And if I choose I do have a wi-fi toggle application I can hit if I'm gone for the day.

    But there is no legitimate reason other than being a little obsessive about turning stuff off and on. GPS is a necessary part of so many applications on the Droid it's silly to ever turn it off.
    Guru you are frustrating me... your first post you said you wondered why anyone ever turn off there wifi.. and then it was stated it uses your battery so most people turn it off... most people only turn it on if it is needed and at least in my area wifi isnt really need it because i get a good 3g signal all the time and wifi is not that much faster so i rarely turn it on. But your are overly exaderating when you say " if you live your life by turning off every app that may take power all the time you aren't going to really enjoy the phone." first off we are only talking about wifi in this convo.... i would think that for most people wifi is not needed most of the time and so it makes since to turn it off. Its as simple as that.....
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Turn off 3G?
    By mapexvenus in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 11:46 PM
  2. How to turn Verizon off?
    By thejono in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 12:14 PM
  3. turn off GPS
    By bxs122 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 12:52 PM
  4. Will Not Turn Off While On Charger?
    By missin44 in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 11:03 PM
  5. Anything to turn on/off the Camera LED's?
    By biggestmexi in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 09:14 AM

Search tags for this page

does turning on your wifi on your droid cost you more

,
droid browser turns on wifi
,
how do i turn wifi backon my droid
,
if i turn off my phone will the wifi speed up
,
turning off wifi on droid
,
why do i need to turn my wifi on my motorola cell phone
,
why turn off wi fi
,

why turn off wifi

,

why turn on wifi on droid

,
why wifi turned off in my phone
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+