DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phone "mutes" in middle of call

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid

Angry Phone "mutes" in middle of call

I have had my moto droid for about 3 months and this is driving me nuts. I will be in the middle of a call and it is like my phone mutes itself. Except the mute button isn't pressed. The other person cannot hear anything from my end, even if I scream. Also, I have noticed that right before it happens, my phone vibrates like in "haptic feedback", but I don't have haptic turned on in my settings. The only way to fix it is to hang up and call back. Does anyone have a solution? I'm not covering the mic or anything, and as I said the mute button isn't green when this happens. Help please!!! Thanks

3. Johnly
    ...take it in and get it checked, it is under a year warranty, so nothing to worry about...
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Have you tried muting the call then unmuting? If nothing is working just return it like john said

Sent from my Droid
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    Yeah, I tried everything, I found in another thread that this is a common issue and replacing the phone does nothing. Evidently will have to wait for a firmware update. Any chance Froyo will fix this? Or will I have to wait for Moto to do something? My phone isn't rooted, so I will have to wait for the "official" update.
  6. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by becca View Post
    Yeah, I tried everything, I found in another thread that this is a common issue and replacing the phone does nothing. Evidently will have to wait for a firmware update. Any chance Froyo will fix this? Or will I have to wait for Moto to do something? My phone isn't rooted, so I will have to wait for the "official" update.
    I don't know where you got the idea that this is a common issue. It isn't. I've never had that happen to me and as a matter of fact you're the first I've heard of it happening to. I've heard of other issues people have while talking but not this one.

Let me ask you this. Do you have long hair? If so that could affect the proximity sensor and maybe your face is muting the phone. If that's the case just make sure your hair is either tossed to the other side or ponytail. My wife has long hair however and I've never heard her complain about this at all but from what I read that is an issue.

As I tell most people, do a factory data reset and if that doesn't resolve the issue then do indeed take it back for a replacement. This just isn't a common issue.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    LG G2
    I have read in other post (Im not going to search and provide link in this post) about the same thing. This looks to be happening to more people than you think. The reason I know there are other posts on this same issue is because my phone and my wifes phone does the same thing. Pretty annoying when it happens and no long hair in the way or cheeks/ear hitting the mute button. Just goes mute during a conversation.
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    This also happens to my wife on a regular basis. Especially on lenghty calls. We both travel quite a bit and I can't count the number of times this has happened when talking to each other. We swapped out her phone and now the same thing is happening again. I originally thought it was her. She is now in the habit of not even letting the phone touch her cheek and it still does it.

She ends up having to mute and then unmute the call like jlaidlaw suggested. It may not be a common problem, but it is a problem...
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by ty.stebbins View Post
    This also happens to my wife on a regular basis. Especially on lenghty calls. We both travel quite a bit and I can't count the number of times this has happened when talking to each other. We swapped out her phone and now the same thing is happening again. I originally thought it was her. She is now in the habit of not even letting the phone touch her cheek and it still does it.

She ends up having to mute and then unmute the call like jlaidlaw suggested. It may not be a common problem, but it is a problem...
    I too am having the same problem and travel a great deal. Cannot figure out exactly what's going on but it is a problem. Also, I did noticed a few times that I had to unlock the phone before I could mute and unmute. Still searching for a problem.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Folks,

Sorry to point out the obvious but if this problem (a) affects a small but significant number of users and (b) users who replace their phones encounter the "same problem," it stands to reason that's it is very unlikely that the Droid itself is to blame.

In other words, if the problem were relatively common, affecting, say, 1% of the phones, the chances that one could get two phones with the same problem is .01 * .01 = .0001 or ten thousand to one.

So that means that the problem is very likely associated with (a) the individual user; (b) the apps the user has on his/her phone; or (c) network issues common on the cell sites being used by the individual user. Frankly, these are the only features common to a particular user.

If I were betting, I'd guess it's a network problem, especially if the "hair in the way" problem is ruled out. But it could be interference between a third party dialing app and the operation of the phone. If I experienced the problem, I'd take the precaution of uninstalling any apps that might be interfering with the operation of the voice functions and be sure that the screen is going black when the phone is being used.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad
  11. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    This is a problem I am having too. I love my Droid and i'm a very experienced user. I have limited apps (under 20) and nothing that effects the way a phone call is made with the exception of Google Voice, no dialer, not rooted. They replaced my phone under warranty and I am having the issue again, however, it is only on lengthy calls. The only solution that works (some of the time) is muting and unmuting. It's very irritating and I think i'm going to bring it back again.

If anyone has a permanent solution let me know.

And 10,000 to 1 it's the user just sounds ridiculous. It's an issue with the phone
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links