DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Froyo 2.2 MUST STOP Reboots

1. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdbox08 View Post
    Why does the title of your thread say froyo 2.2 must stop reboots but you say it's 2.1 giving your reboots and you're stock not rooted? i'm lost...
    He is saying 2.2 needs to fix 2.1 problems or it won't be any better than 2.1.

It probably should have read: Froyo must stop 2.1 reboot problems.
    Exactly.

I am totally dreading erasing everything on the phone. Reinstalling everything will take hours to do as it is a total, absolute PITA on the Droid. There is no such thing as restoring to an earlier state either. Regardless of whether I wipe everything, the bottom line is the OS should portion.

Fact: More than just a few people are reporting delays when the phone rings before it will actually answer. This has to be fixed. I'm happy that some of you don't have problems, even if it's 60% of you. Even a 25% failure rate is way too high.

I also hope 2.2 will provide some type of full backup system. I had this argument with other Palm-heads. Give me desktop sync any day if cloud computing only backs up a portion of the data on the phone (and requires Google to keep copies of all my data for a year plus.)

I love the Droid a lot. But if I can't get this kind of reliability, I'll be eying the new Blackberry with the touchscreen and keyboard. Yikes... can't believe that is happening!
    If you use the factory data reset in the privacy section your apps should all be in your downloads when you sign back into your phone. It's not that big of a deal, I've done it before and it doesn't take hours. 30 minutes, if that long.

FWIW this is not an OS issue but rather an application issue. Bad apps cause bad things to happen on peoples Droids. I ran 2.1 problem free. 2.2 is working great too, and that is what the majority, not just 60% but the vast majority are experiencing.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC ROOTED
    It's way more like 0.7% if you look at the overall sales... if it were 25% there would be tens of thousands of complaints instead of aa few hundred...
  3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Well if you're seriously thinking of blackberry without even trying what hook or I suggested...i agree..get a blackberry. You'll never be happy with the droid.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Razr
    I heard that the Jitter bug has no " boot " probs.............
    Razr.....Rooted and bloatware is frozen. Safestrapped and ready to rock!
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid1
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdbox08 View Post
    Why does the title of your thread say froyo 2.2 must stop reboots but you say it's 2.1 giving your reboots and you're stock not rooted? i'm lost...
    He is saying 2.2 needs to fix 2.1 problems or it won't be any better than 2.1.

It probably should have read: Froyo must stop 2.1 reboot problems.
    Exactly.

I am totally dreading erasing everything on the phone. Reinstalling everything will take hours to do as it is a total, absolute PITA on the Droid. There is no such thing as restoring to an earlier state either. Regardless of whether I wipe everything, the bottom line is the OS should portion.

Fact: More than just a few people are reporting delays when the phone rings before it will actually answer. This has to be fixed. I'm happy that some of you don't have problems, even if it's 60% of you. Even a 25% failure rate is way too high.

I also hope 2.2 will provide some type of full backup system. I had this argument with other Palm-heads. Give me desktop sync any day if cloud computing only backs up a portion of the data on the phone (and requires Google to keep copies of all my data for a year plus.)

I love the Droid a lot. But if I can't get this kind of reliability, I'll be eying the new Blackberry with the touchscreen and keyboard. Yikes... can't believe that is happening!
    There are app options that solve all of your file issues my friend especially if your rooted...I'm guessing you dont want to be, or you dont know what that is. Either way though, there are apps that allow you to sync to your home computer, as well as apps that will back up your entire system (all though I'm not sure if any of those are available for non-rooted phones.

Good luck
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible
    I've never had any type of your problems.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I see where the phone chokes at times. I have 4 accounts setup on K-9. I have it set to check email every 15 or 30 minutes, usually the latter. The phone seems to choke badly when it is checking email or doing something with K-9 and OS 2.1. As a result, if it was downloading email, deleting emails, whatever, Android can't seem to just stop what it is doing to answer the phone or dial. It hangs there for a while and sometimes I'll get the wait/force quite dialog box.

I know I'm far from the only one with the answer problems. There is a thread here of several others with the same issue. I'm just hoping that Google will finally protect the phone portion. I think Verizon's CDMA based phones need it more than any other phone. No more Goggles or other Google app. Make the phone app rock solid!!!!
    Free Android App: Download the Law Guide and Law Dictionary from the Market!
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all smartphones have software problems from time to time.

Blackberries crash, iPhones crash, Droids crash, WinMo phones crash, just do a Google search and you'll see that they all have problems.

If you treated your phone like a computer (rebooted it every other day or so), you may have better results.

Almost all of us have rock solid devices, truth is, most of us don't try to win uptime contests with our phones and the occasional reboot does wonders to ensure that when the phone rings, it won't screw up.

It is obvious with your statement "I'm just hoping that Google will finally protect the phone portion. I think Verizon's CDMA based phones need it more than any other phone. No more Goggles or other Google app. Make the phone app rock solid!!!!" that you aren't familiar with the OSI model, or the fundamentals of operating system design.

This isn't your first gripe post about your phone that reboots every now and then. The pity party must end at some point. Please do one of the following:

1) Reboot your phone every day or so like the rest of us probably do (it takes less than 2 minutes).

2) Get a Blackberry and fill their forums with your whining cause your Blackberry will crash just like every other smartphone on the market.

-Mike
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by mcapozzi View Post
    1) Reboot your phone every day or so like the rest of us probably do (it takes less than 2 minutes).
    Is my Cyanogen slow? :| Mine takes 5 minutes sometimes...
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by foolydooly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcapozzi View Post
    Is my Cyanogen slow? :| Mine takes 5 minutes sometimes...
    BB 0.2.1 boots in under 1 minute, in 90 seconds all the widgets have loaded and everything is good to go.

Even if it is 5 minutes for some folks, there has to be something you all do routinely that separates you from your phone long enough to give it a chance to reboot (potty break, shower, dinner, etc.).

-Mike
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links