DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Backup help please

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Backup help please

I recently rooted for the first time (thanks to this forum). I think I initially used SPR but now I have CWR (not quite sure how). I also have ROM manager.

I am currently running BB 1.1 on my Droid and IT ROCKS! I ran the quadrant BM and got a score of 560 or so. I have the 7 slot 1ghz LV kernel installed.

I am interested in trying out a 1.2 Ghz kernel to see if that speeds it up, as well as trying out a few different ROMS

OK my questions.

1). I know I need to backup before I do either of these things, so how should I go about this? Do I do the backup thru ROM manager? And/or do I need to do it thru CWR as well? (I hope that makes sense).

2). I bought the full Titanium Backup and did a batch backup of all data and apps. I understand that when I flash a new ROM I simply DL the Titanium program and it will restore all of my hard work, settings, ringtones etc. Yes?

3). If you do this a lot I can see there would be many backups taking up large amounts of space on your SD card. Do you go in and delete them periodically or just leave them?

Thanks for all your help.
    Last edited by Lars1; 06-19-2010 at 10:04 AM.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".-Arthur C. Clarke

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Allright, I'll respond to my own post.

Today I got brave and tried to install the JRUMMY KANGARADE FROYO 2.2 ROM.

It did not go well. It seemed to DL fine but then got hung up during the loading process (red eye time) I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Fortunately, I made a back-up (using ROM Manager) and was able to restore my entire OS incl. settings and apps. Too cool.

Any thoughts on what I could do differently next time? I really want to try it, I hear it is really good.

btw, I did click the wipe data/cache option prior to DL the new ROM.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Lars1; 06-19-2010 at 05:29 PM.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".-Arthur C. Clarke
  4. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars1 View Post
    I recently rooted for the first time (thanks to this forum). I think I initially used SPR but now I have CWR (not quite sure how). I also have ROM manager.

When you install RM the primary recovery is Clockwork. Since you used RM to install different roms I imagine you have the premium ($4.99) version so you probably followed the prompts and flashed ClockworkMod recovery.

I am currently running BB 1.1 on my Droid and IT ROCKS! I ran the quadrant BM and got a score of 560 or so. I have the 7 slot 1ghz LV kernel installed.

I am interested in trying out a 1.2 Ghz kernel to see if that speeds it up, as well as trying out a few different ROMS

OK my questions.

1). I know I need to backup before I do either of these things, so how should I go about this? Do I do the backup thru ROM manager? And/or do I need to do it thru CWR as well? (I hope that makes sense).

As I mentioned above, CWR is the primary recovery process with RM. RM does allow you to flash SPRecovery via the "Flash Alternative Recovery". So, you have the option to use either recovery process. I prefer SPR so I keep it flashed. A word of caution -- backups are not interchangeable. If you make a backup with RM you can not restore with SPR. Nor can you restore a backup made with SPR via RM.

Pick an method that you are comfortable with, flash the process and make a backup.

2). I bought the full Titanium Backup and did a batch backup of all data and apps. I understand that when I flash a new ROM I simply DL the Titanium program and it will restore all of my hard work, settings, ringtones etc. Yes?

If you wipe your data and cache that is correct. If, however, you are running rom "X" and the developer releases a new version, you can install the new version without wiping data/cache and your apps and data will not be modified

3). If you do this a lot I can see there would be many backups taking up large amounts of space on your SD card. Do you go in and delete them periodically or just leave them?

I make copies of my SD card on my computer that way I can delete files form my Sd card and restore if needed. Typically, I keep three or four backups on my SD card.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Hope this helps.

Mike
  5. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars1 View Post
    Allright, I'll respond to my own post.

Today I got brave and tried to install the JRUMMY KANGARADE FROYO 2.2 ROM.

It did not go well. It seemed to DL fine but then got hung up during the loading process (red eye time) I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Fortunately, I made a back-up (using ROM Manager) and was able to restore my entire OS incl. settings and apps. Too cool.

Any thoughts on what I could do differently next time? I really want to try it, I hear it is really good.

btw, I did click the wipe data/cache option prior to DL the new ROM.

Thanks again.

Not sure what may have been the cause. Two possibilities

Battery not sufficiently charged
    The download file was corrupt

Try downloading a different rom. Hopefully, it will install correctly.

Mike
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks so much for the reply!

Wish me luck, I'm jumping back in!!
  7. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Take your time and you should be fine. If you have problems post the issue.

Mike

Links