DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apps keep autostarting on their own, even after being killed

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

apps keep autostarting on their own, even after being killed

i have a moto droid running 2.1, which i got as a replacement about a week and a half ago. i was playing parallel kingdom today for long enough to kill the battery, and after i got it charged (ie, it said "fully charged" when i turned on the screen), it would only stay on for a few seconds before shutting off. i eventually got my task killer open, and about half of my apps were running, including apps i never even use, like voice dialer and mp3 store. i killed all those, and then the phone shut off again, showing a completely dead battery. after i got it back on again, a ton of apps were running on their own again, and after i killed them, a bunch more came back.

what the hell? right now, it's charging and hasn't shut down, but a bunch of apps keep autostarting, even after i kill them. does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? i'd rather not replace my phone yet again. : /

if it helps, here are the apps that are currently autostarting that shouldn't be:
    com.google.android.providers.gmail
    MP3 store
    corporate calendar
    com.google.android.apps.uploader
    com.android.providers.drm
    com.google.android.feedback
    voice dialer
    settings
    alarm clock
    messaging
    missed call
    Last edited by itsamutiny; 06-13-2010 at 09:07 PM.

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I think some of those are mandatory. Maybe for other uses. Everyone has the same situation, even my phone had those apps running even shortly after I killed them off. I'm thinking those don't really eat your battery much, if at all makes a difference. I don't even use ATK anymore. To be concerned with trying to prolong my battery life, was unnecessary. My phone still lasts a healthy amount from morning to night at least, if I'm using it often.
    I'm not sure though about your battery being weak. Isn't the battery covered under warranty? Unless you're rooted.(a few verizon reps at stores don't really care though.)
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    i think i forgot to mention that when it died at 10:30 and i plugged it in to charge, it said "fully charged" around 10:50, and as soon as i unplugged it, it said the batter was completely dead and it shut off again. it kept doing that (charging fully, then shutting off as soon as i unplugged it) until i finally got into my task killer, which listed probably 20-30 apps, some of which i've never even used. right now it's trying to charge, but it's been stuck on 5% for about twenty minutes.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Maybe you could try the verizon store. :/ most of them are probably using droids too. Did you try checking Battery Use under settings? I'm guessing it might not be accurate though.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    i did check that, but it only shows the use for when your phone was unplugged, and whatever was killing my battery did it when it was plugged in. : / i just unplugged it and checked it, and it looks normal (display is using up a lot of the battery, followed by android system, then wi-fi, cell standby, etc).

i'm hoping it's just my battery that's screwed up, and not my entire phone.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    You said this was your second droid? I hope Verizon doesn't do that crap where they send you a refurbished phone as a replacement. My old carrier(Helio) did that. I don't know what else to suggest. Try going to the store tomorrow. Or asking for help over the phone while on speaker and following directions. Lol
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    i'm going to stop at the verizon store before work and hopefully they can fix it. it appears that it actually is charging now, although it's taken half an hour to get to 10%. : /

i don't know how they handle replacement phones; i just went to a local verizon store and they produced one from the back.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Same issue with my phone.

I understand some apps need to run for messaging, calls, calendar, sync, but what's with MP3 store, Market, and several downloaded apps just starting on their own? I've tried ATK, ATM, and a few others to kill those tasks, but 10 min later they're running again. That doesn't seem right. Do I need to root my phone and disable those apps from running automatically?
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Yes, this erks me quite a bit. Will rooting solve this problem?
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A855
    You guys don't seem to understand how Android works.

It's not like a PC where you just kill a task and that's the end of it.

The apps are just activities and they can register interest in virtually any event in the system.

If I write an app that wants to know every time you push the camera button, then you can kill it all day long and yet each time you push the camera button, it will be given the chance to run again.

So, NO rooting will not solve this "problem" because your phone is working as designed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links