DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: battery and memory issues

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

battery and memory issues

I feel stupid posting this..........

My battery has been draining at speeds I'm not used to. My phone sits idle a lot because of not being able to use it at work. But, in the beginning, I would leave and come home with almost a full battery.

Now I leave for work and come home with half a battery.....IDK what's causing this. I don't use a task killer. Could it be LauncherPro?

I have system panel on my phone and it's telling me most of memory is in use and I have 32% left. I truly don't have a lot of apps on my phone, 45 at the most. Is that a lot? I'm finding this hard to believe that these little apps are sucking my phone dry. If that's the case, then I'll delete them.

So, is there a way to tell what's draining the battery and what's hogging my memory?

When I check the system...it tells me the display is taking up most of the battery which I know is normal. From there, it's phone idle, Cell standby, Android OS, dialer, etc.

I don't keep wifi, gps or anything on. I keep the brightness down low. I even have a dark background pic.

Could someone tell me or guide me in the right direction here? Thanks in advance.
    If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I don't know if you're having the same issue i am, but there's definitely something going on with my battery.
    As of late, my battery drains at rapids speeds. I lose about 10% every 15 minutes or so, and even when my phone is charging it still drains. My phone says charging, but the battery still drains.
    I don't know if Jarby is having this same problem, but it pretty much sucks.
    I've tried different kernels, ROMS, whatever and i still have this problem...
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by youreunderarrest View Post
    I don't know if you're having the same issue i am, but there's definitely something going on with my battery.
    As of late, my battery drains at rapids speeds. I lose about 10% every 15 minutes or so, and even when my phone is charging it still drains. My phone says charging, but the battery still drains.
    I don't know if Jarby is having this same problem, but it pretty much sucks.
    I've tried different kernels, ROMS, whatever and i still have this problem...
    The problem with it not charging is a problem with your battery or your charger. Nothing to do with a rom or kernel.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by jarby View Post

My battery has been draining at speeds I'm not used to. My phone sits idle a lot because of not being able to use it at work. But, in the beginning, I would leave and come home with almost a full battery.

Now I leave for work and come home with half a battery.....IDK what's causing this. I don't use a task killer. Could it be LauncherPro?

I have system panel on my phone and it's telling me most of memory is in use and I have 32% left. I truly don't have a lot of apps on my phone, 45 at the most. Is that a lot? I'm finding this hard to believe that these little apps are sucking my phone dry. If that's the case, then I'll delete them.

So, is there a way to tell what's draining the battery and what's hogging my memory?

When I check the system...it tells me the display is taking up most of the battery which I know is normal. From there, it's phone idle, Cell standby, Android OS, dialer, etc.

I don't keep wifi, gps or anything on. I keep the brightness down low. I even have a dark background pic.

Could someone tell me or guide me in the right direction here? Thanks in advance.
    Wait a sec, DISPLAY is taking most up? I'm not exactly a genius but I know the display is only supposed to use battery when the screen is on. If the lights are on for that long(don't ask me how) they would take up half battery easily. Also if you have many widgets their syncing to the internet can suck up battery.
    Last edited by droidman101; 06-01-2010 at 11:10 PM.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Has that newly rooted smell...

Now I leave for work and come home with half a battery.....
    If you're getting a full work day (estimating roughly 10 hours including commute, and using it occasionally) and you're still at ~50%, that's not all around too horrible. If you say you used to get better life; what apps have you installed since then?
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Re: battery and memory issues

If your display is using up a lot of battery when you're not using the phone, check to make sure the screen isn't sliding out in your pocket. If the screen slides back and forth in your pocket it will keep the screen lit, using battery.

Also check and see how much battery the cell radio is using. If its a lot, check how much time you are without signal. Being in a poor or no service area sucks up an impressive amount of battery. This can also occur when leaving the phone in a locker or other faraday cage like area.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks for the ideas and info everyone.

I came home today with mild use on my phone from an 8 hour work day. The display used 41% of the battery. Even though I hardly used it....odd.

I don't use a lot of widgets....my smartphone is becoming a basic dumb phone as I continue on here. I use AppOrganizer which creates shortcuts for me to get to my apps.....but I've always had that unless the update changed something.....?.........

@ Droidman101..I stopped the widget syncing, so I'll see how it works tomorrow. I forgot about that...duh!

@yourunderarrest, I don't have that problem...that's extreme....I'd be back at Verizon or whoever complaining about that.

and @ Showtime, I deleted most of the apps I thought would be an issue. Anything I have downloaded lately has been deleted. I even deleted my beloved LauncherPro and went back to stock screens....Bleh! But, I'm playing around to see what's going on here.

And by cell radio Explosivpotato, do you mean the cell standby? It used 16% today.

My phone is on me at all times.......Somehow it used 30% with me sending out a few texts today, adding a contact, checking the weather, checking the system panel, keeping it on vibrate, and using the browser for a full minute ??? IDK.

1hr5m35s of display time used 43%
    I went 1% without a signal with 11hr15m33s on which used 16%

I'm thinking I'm over reacting, someone please let me know!!! Cause I'm driving myself nuts.
    If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

8. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    For me with the OEM battery, my Droid would go from 100% at 7am and be at 20% at 11pm (or 16 hours) with moderate use. I wasn't worried as I could charge it overnight.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by aaf709 View Post
    For me with the OEM battery, my Droid would go from 100% at 7am and be at 20% at 11pm (or 16 hours) with moderate use. I wasn't worried as I could charge it overnight.
    OH yeah....I forgot about the whole charging thing....I'll give that a shot and see how my battery is after that....

Seriously? wth?

I was just seeing if I had a battery issue or if this was normal battery drainage with hardly any use.

10. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aaf709 View Post
    OH yeah....I forgot about the whole charging thing....I'll give that a shot and see how my battery is after that....

Seriously? wth?

I was just seeing if I had a battery issue or if this was normal battery drainage with hardly any use.
    Just saying what I was experiencing. I understand that there is a battery drain with a smartphone. I was staying overnight at a friend's house and the phone went from 100% to 80% overnight without anything being used.

I figure if it can last for one day on a single charge it's OK with me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links