DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Droid constantly disconnects from USB

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Droid constantly disconnects from USB

When my Droid is plugged in to my computer with the USB cable, it's frequently (like sometimes 3 times/minute) disconnecting and reconnecting. I know because I hear the USB noise on the computer, and the phone rings a notification every time. It's still charging the whole time, so I don't know what difference that makes. The cable is secure, the phone is just sitting still every time it does it.
    I can never do a large file transfer without babysitting it in case it disconnects, and I really hate it. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Last edited by dajakal; 11-23-2009 at 04:40 PM.
  2. sun
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    My droid also has a problem keeping a connection via usb. when i plug it in .. it within a minute disconnects. It doesn't reconnect. i have to keep re-mounting it. Anyone know what is going on?

-sun
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Thunderbolt & Xoom
    Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the device drivers on the PC.

Sometimes a "smartphone" is only as smart as its user.

4. sun
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I will try that.

Additional information: It actually seems to only do it when i try to transfer any amount of data. If i mount and dont really do anything it stays connected. it disconects as soon as i try to copy a file or two or run one of my recorded videos.

I will also try plugging through another usb hub on my pc and also connect to another pc and see if the issue remains ..

i'll post to let anyone who is interested know.

-sun
  5. sun
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    ok that was strange ... it appears to be my usb 2.0 card .... when i connect to the onboard usb .. it works fine .... problems solved

-sun
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I think I fixed my problem: I'm using PandaHome, and whenever I turned on USB storage it popped up saying "Cannot find SD card, theme may be abnormal" or something. Anyway, while it's on the home screen, I get the constant USB disco/reco issues. But if I just idle in an app, like the browser, then it stays connected. Maybe background apps that are using the SD card are causing this?
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Mine does this occasionally, but more often simply doesn't charge. Whenever I get below 5% it does literally nothing, even on USB power and I have to switch to wall charger. I have no qualms with the phone itself but the USB cord leaves something to be desired...
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr M Motorola - XT907
    Hmm. My phone is also acting a bit strangely with the USB Cord. I plugged it in earlier today so i could root my device. I installed the drivers but one failed to install. 'Not Available' Was the message, i believe. Then i went to a site to download the official drivers, but that didn't help much. now, whenever i try and install the drivers it shows 4 drivers. 2 of them install right away, the third one installs after a while, and the last one, ADB Interface, starts to install but it then says "Download Failed; Device Disconnected" Which I find odd because my computer still reads the device. Whenever i try to copy a video, it starts but then says 'Windows Explorer Is Encountering Problems.." then everything freezes, and it says "Windows Explorer is restarting..." and when it finishes, my whole desktop is screwed up, the folders have been scrambled. Then on my phone i'll lose all signal (including WiFi) almost entirely. Any fixes? I cannot back up my videos until a solution is found.

Links