DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: replacement

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

replacement

So I went to a verizon store to see if I could get a replacement for my droid since mine has problems and was not 30 days old yet, guy said yea it needs replaced but they dont have any in stock right now so he will have one sent to my house. Just got an email saying it is a certified pre-owned phone is this normal practice , for them to give you a pre-owned phone or did I get screwed?
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid (1)
    You will want to read the fine print to know if you got screwed. You might also anonymously call several Verizon stores and ask them whether you would get a new phone or a pre-owned phone. Get names. Speak to managers. Above all, do not identify yourself until you get answers.

That being said, I would be pissed if that happened. Your phone was less than 30 days old, and you might have gotten a phone that was far older - how would you know? I would hate to think I might be talking on a year-old phone that someone else breathed and sweated all over, and kept in their sweaty pocket. No telling what subtle, imperceptable sludge is in the circuits that might cause you more problems AFTER your warranty expires. If I bought a new phone and exchanged it within 30 days, I would expect a brand-freaking-new phone.

EDIT: @hookbill: six months, a year ... my point is, I don't think it's right. If you buy a new product that is defective, when you exchange it, I believe you should get another new product. Your points are valid that even another new product might be defective. I'm looking at it as a matter of principle. I don't think it's right to get a used thing when the new thing you bought is defective, be it a phone or anything else. Having said that, if it's in the contract and I didn't read it, then tough. But if it turns out they sprung this "certified pre-owned" thing on him without notice, it's pretty shady and he would be right to be upset.
    Last edited by Stretch2m; 05-15-2010 at 05:56 AM.
  3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch2m View Post
    You will want to read the fine print to know if you got screwed. You might also anonymously call several Verizon stores and ask them whether you would get a new phone or a pre-owned phone. Get names. Speak to managers. Above all, do not identify yourself until you get answers.

That being said, I would be pissed if that happened. Your phone was less than 30 days old, and you might have gotten a phone that was far older - how would you know? I would hate to think I might be talking on a year-old phone that someone else breathed and sweated all over, and kept in their sweaty pocket. No telling what subtle, imperceptable sludge is in the circuits that might cause you more problems AFTER your warranty expires. If I bought a new phone and exchanged it within 30 days, I would expect a brand-freaking-new phone.

Well, that's a nice story but the Droid has only been around for 6 months and when they say certified as new that's what it means. Does everyone of them work like new? No, and when one doesn't you'll hear about it in DF but once again more people who get them are satisfied then those who are not.

IMHO he should have got a new phone considering he was in his 30 day period. But if the phone is working, looks like new then why make an issue? Your next new phone may have other issues.

Anyway 90% of the reasons these phones are returned are user error in the first place.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Update, called verizon yesterday and she said that since I was in my 30 days I should have got a new one, my pre-certified is not here yet so she said just decline it when it comes and go to the store and get a new one, which I did then yesterday later in the day with no problem. I guess that other guy didn't feel like doing anything the other day. On a side note if you are out of your 30 days and have full insurance or warranty coverage and break your phone or lose it they will send you a pre-certified phone.

Oh yea the probelm with the phone was not the user the new phone is clear and sounds great.
    Last edited by davisg; 05-16-2010 at 10:25 AM.
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davisg View Post
    On a side note if you are out of your 30 days and have full insurance or warranty coverage and break your phone or lose it they will send you a pre-certified phone.

Not always, Son dropped his Eris into a fishpond and Insurance sent him a brand new one....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Yea and thats the way it should be, I was just going by what the lady told me when I called verizon.

Links