DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very dissapointing Navigation...

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Very dissapointing Navigation...

I was hoping to replace my garmin with the DROID, bought the dock and everything. I do pizza deliveries and already found a bunch of annoyances:

- No Night time mode!! Sooo annoying. I cant say that enough.
    - Navigation ends in the middle of main roads when I still need to turn off the main road and maybe onto another street or 2.
    - Takes the longest route possible. Seriously it's unbelievably retarded.
    - Voice commands suck ass. Via is not BE A. Seems like a voice command prompt for navigation ought to recognize VIA. I mean come on.

I definitley won't be getting rid of my Garmin, probably not for a while. Unless Google really takes things up a notch here, this was crap.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I am sticking with my Garmin as well. When I tried it Google Maps made some crazy route suggestions, got street names wrong, etc. You can't expect Google to immediately beat out a company that has been making GPSs for years. This is only their first pass. I am sure it will get better over time, but not sure it will ever be as good as a dedicated GPS.
  4. rlb
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    I'll take it for free....And don't forget its in beta still. I'm pretty impressed with their first run. I'm sure it will do fine for what I need: Occasional directions.

I can see where there might be limitations if your job requires you to get multiple destinations in the quickest manner possible on a daily basis. Otherwise, I think its pretty damn good.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I live in a major city and have been using the navigation daily. So far I haven't had it be wrong once. I find it difficult to complain about such an awesome service when it is free, still in beta, and will probaqbly include free updates for the forseeable future, even if there is the occasional inaccuracy. And on a cell phone no less!

I'm sure google will be updating and improving the navigation on a regular basis, and it will most likely be free. If you require perfect accuracy and don't mind paying a benjamin a year to keep your maps updated, then by all means please use a dedicated hardware GPS. Google nav is probably not for you if your tolerance for error is so low.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I'm in the Northern Jersey area and the only hiccup I've run into is the nav trying to have me turn in the wrong direction down a one way, but I do have to give it to google for the very fast reroute, it is faster than TeleNav or VZ Navigator
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I've posted this comment on another thread. This is not a dedicated Navigation device. G Nav is only one facet of this truly awesome communication device. Having come from Copilot on windows mobile this is feature rich, easy to use, accurate and being $FREE$ there is no comparison. If I was on any of the developer teams reading all these complaints I would have to ask "What have you got(or done) that's better?" Just can't please every one.
    This is the bandit's life, It comes and goes and them's the breaks
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    I drive around all day doing hardware support at different known locations and I've been using the navigation pretty heavily to test. The routes seem fine for what I do, but some of the addresses haven't been in the right spot. A lot have been a block or two away from the actual location. Still not bad for a free beta service. Hoping it improves though.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid X
    I'm pretty impressed with the voice recognition. It has easily recognized 9 out of 10 locations I was trying to navigate to and provided great routing results. I would like layers to be on along with the routing as well as a night time mode. Unfortunately you can only look at a static traffic map, and you can't also see where those heavy traffic areas are as you're driving.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    It works fine for a FREE NAV system. Haven't had any problems, Google is still in the works in your area maping everything, I see their car on the roads here just about every week....
  11. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    Yes, you do have to understand this is their first device that has had this feature, it's not something they'd had on many other devices, so they are still working out the kinks. Of course right off the line I wouldn't want to replace my garmins either, but it is a great alternative to those who don't have it, because it's free. Unlike anything else, with time, and many other units capable of using it, it should be upgraded to well beyond what garmins can do.

I used to have vz nav as part of my package, so once in awhile i would use it, when i first got it, it was terrible, much like the google nav system. Though the past year it had actually turned into a really nice program, it would guide me 100% of the way, no matter where i used it at. Though i'm sure there were still a few problems here and there with it.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links