DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some help..someone who knows something about wireless networks PLEASE!!

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Question I need some help..someone who knows something about wireless networks PLEASE!!

So heres my dilema: Was with t-moblie for 11 years, wanted the droid so I switched. I work in a hospital 7 nights a week, so a cell is important to me!! lol. However, the minute I walk in the door: BOOM. NO FRICKING SERVICE! No one else has Verizon to ask if they get service...did the *228 thing...and I even went and bought a 20.00 cricket phone which gets GREAT service inside! Yea, Cricket! Called tech support, of course they were no help...tried an external antenna, tried a new droid and the only real difference is the call quality on this one is ****! My conversations consist of me repeating myself over and over again bc people cant understand me. So, they said they will send me yet ANOTHER droid, and to see what happens. There are towers literally three miles from I work and every other carrier gets service inside. SOOOO here are my thoughts, and again Im struggling here so please help.

I went and got a cricket USB modem for my laptop...I plug it in, get service good inet service, so can I set up a wi fi network off of my laptop for when Im at work and just tether my phone off of it? If someone knows....please tell me how. I looked through the advanced settings and I know nothing about static IP's and crap! ORRRR The Verizon range extender? 20o bucks but if I can get it to work off of my laptop and cricket usb modem it would b worth it to me because I spend so much time here. They guy at verizon said it can be done, but he doesnt know how. Any suggestions guys?

I love the phone....but DAMN I need service! Thanks in advance...Im so bummed!

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Damn that sucks!! i can actually feel your pain it's still early ....don't worry someone will be along eventually to give you some input. I'll cross my fingers for ya!! good luck!
    *~*Corinacakes*~*

-Keep your political and religious views off this forum.
    -We are here to have fun and learn, so please try and keep it that way for everyone!

If you like my work and would like to help get my nails done I'd love it!
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spence19802003 View Post
    So heres my dilema: Was with t-moblie for 11 years, wanted the droid so I switched. I work in a hospital 7 nights a week, so a cell is important to me!! lol. However, the minute I walk in the door: BOOM. NO FRICKING SERVICE! No one else has Verizon to ask if they get service...did the *228 thing...and I even went and bought a 20.00 cricket phone which gets GREAT service inside! Yea, Cricket! Called tech support, of course they were no help...tried an external antenna, tried a new droid and the only real difference is the call quality on this one is ****! My conversations consist of me repeating myself over and over again bc people cant understand me. So, they said they will send me yet ANOTHER droid, and to see what happens. There are towers literally three miles from I work and every other carrier gets service inside. SOOOO here are my thoughts, and again Im struggling here so please help.

I went and got a cricket USB modem for my laptop...I plug it in, get service good inet service, so can I set up a wi fi network off of my laptop for when Im at work and just tether my phone off of it? If someone knows....please tell me how. I looked through the advanced settings and I know nothing about static IP's and crap! ORRRR The Verizon range extender? 20o bucks but if I can get it to work off of my laptop and cricket usb modem it would b worth it to me because I spend so much time here. They guy at verizon said it can be done, but he doesnt know how. Any suggestions guys?

I love the phone....but DAMN I need service! Thanks in advance...Im so bummed!

I don't even know if this would be allowed in a hospital but Verizon does sell signal boosters for problem areas. Here is a link to look at one from CNET: Verizon Wireless Network Extender Cell phone and smart phone accessory reviews - CNET Reviews
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Re: I need some help..someone who knows something about wireless networks PLEASE!!

Your best bet is a range extendr as linked above. Your laptop can NOT generate a cell signal. It could be used to create an ad hoc wifi network, but all you could get is a wifi data signal. You will not get the voice network used for calls and texts. Combine that with something like skype or maybe google voice or another voice over IP service and you might have a viable option, but your verizon number won't work (it requires cell service).

I don't believe there is a way to link your verizon number to GV, but I've never used it so someone more knowledgable will have to step in and help with that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    R2D2 Droid 2
    Also some places actually have signal blockers for cell phone service, so that maybe why you are having some problems.
    May the light of the Keywork guide you.
  7. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioKilgannon View Post
    Also some places actually have signal blockers for cell phone service, so that maybe why you are having some problems.
    Excellent point. I didn't think about that.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Well, if Cricket works inside the hospital, and it's also on a CDMA network, I doubt they're using cell phone blockers. Unfortunately the O.P. may be out of luck using it within the hospital.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

range extender

yea, that range extender is the 200 dollar thing I was talking about! But the verizon guy said it wouldnt work with my laptop and cricket usb because I wouldnt have an ethernet cable coming in? Or actually he said it could be set up and used, but he didnt know how and it would be hard. The way he explained it is like this: ethernet cable from cable modem into the back of the extender, cable out of that to and into your computer. He said I would have to set up my laptop to be a wifi hot spot or something, or set up a server? I would be okay if I could even text and get texts. Just something to not feel so damned disconnected!!! And I thought about the blocker, but like I said: I have tmobile for 11 years and got great service there and everyone there with att&t and cingular get great service too. And cricket? Its so disappointing to know that a 49.00 phone gets service, yet my DROID doesnt!! keep thinking guys...I gotta do something! Thanks for trying to help me figure this out guys.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    R2D2 Droid 2
    Cricket could be on a different frequency than Verizon. I think there are 4 different CDMA frequencies, but I'm probably wrong. I've also heard of places blocking signal then somehow piping in one certain carrier.
    May the light of the Keywork guide you.
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroiD
    i live in hampton roads (va) most of our hospitals have signal blockers
    Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.--Thomas Edison.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links