DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: battery telling me to charge when it doesn't need it

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID

Question battery telling me to charge when it doesn't need it

I have charged the phone to 100% 19 hours ago. I am at a 60% charge when I set my phone on my desk. All programs I was using prior to setting the phone down were closed out. Within 5 minutes, the red light is blinking indicating I need to charge the phone. I plug the phone in and the charging screen went from 5% to 60% in 10 seconds.

This issue is not new to me as I have another droid that does it as well. I can't say it's a bad batch of phones as mine was made in week 39 and my wife's was in week 42 yet they both do the same thing. This does not happen every day, it is very intermittent to say the least. It could be two days, it could be two weeks. I have contacted Verizon about it and Motorola. Moto sent me a new battery under the assumption that was the problem. Well it wasn't and I just had it happen using the new battery. I really think this is software issue.

Here's what to look for if you think your battery is dying too soon: red light begins to flash telling you to charge it up as it was now at 5% or less. Once plugged it in, do not walk away and make sure the phone doesn't go into standby mode. Watch the charging % jump from 5 to 60 in about 10 seconds or less..

Once this happens there is a chance that it will take longer than usual to fully charge your phone. I had mine sit for 3 hours at the 70% mark before ticking over to 80%.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I also just experienced the flashing red light and low battery message. The phone had been charged in a cradle overnight and had only been in very light use for about 5 hours. I made one 3 min phone call and received one Gmail email message during this time period.

Well this was certainly not the normal battery performance for the phone. I powered off the phone and waited about one minute before powering back on. After the phone booted up it indicated that the battery was at 100% charge...

I wonder what is going on??
  3. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Do you have any sort of battery app? I use Battery Left, which is pretty accurate. I also have Battery Graph which has a, well, graph.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by aaf709 View Post
    Do you have any sort of battery app? I use Battery Left, which is pretty accurate. I also have Battery Graph which has a, well, graph.
    No, I have no battery apps installed. What is odd is that the system seemed to think the battery was almost discharged and gave the flashing red warning. Upon reboot (power cycle) the phone showed a full charge again... Strange.
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bama29 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aaf709 View Post
    No, I have no battery apps installed. What is odd is that the system seemed to think the battery was almost discharged and gave the flashing red warning. Upon reboot (power cycle) the phone showed a full charge again... Strange.
    It's not odd. It's only odd if it happens frequently. All of us have seen this at least once, but I thought that was a 2.0.1 thing and had been corrected with 2.1.

Anyway don't worry about it, it's not a big deal.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thanks for the reply. I suppose it is good to know that this is a rare occurrence. I should have searched the forums more thoroughly and might have found this out. My newbie mistake. This was the first hiccup of any sort with my droid to date and I guess I panicked.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    I wish I could say it's rare for me.. I have contacted VZW and Moto numerous times about this issue.. they claim no knowledge of it. I returned my first droid because of this happening on day 3 of ownership only to have the new replacement do the same thing 1 week after owning it. So for me it's been 3 droids, 2 made in week 39(mine) and one made in week 42(wife's). I have made posts on google's support forum as well as android central and Moto's droid owners forum. VZW and Moto claim no knowledge of this incident yet I am seeing more people acknowledge that this has happened to them.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdWave View Post
    I wish I could say it's rare for me.. I have contacted VZW and Moto numerous times about this issue.. they claim no knowledge of it. I returned my first droid because of this happening on day 3 of ownership only to have the new replacement do the same thing 1 week after owning it. So for me it's been 3 droids, 2 made in week 39(mine) and one made in week 42(wife's). I have made posts on google's support forum as well as android central and Moto's droid owners forum. VZW and Moto claim no knowledge of this incident yet I am seeing more people acknowledge that this has happened to them.
    It sure sounds like a bug in the OS. It must take a particular sequence of events to trigger.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Well after being on the phone today again with Moto and referencing a number of posts on different forums about the same issue; I think they are now getting the big picture. I should hear from someone tomorrow about this and see what the next step is on Moto's part or if it's going to be shifted over to google as an issue they must resolve..

Referenced posts:

Motorola Droid Owners Forum:
    https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/94145

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/22402

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/27922

Android Central Forums:
    Having a battery problem with Droid - Android Central Forums

DroidForums.net:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/tec...esnt-need.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ery-issue.html

AndroidForums.com:
    False battery reading? - Android Forums

Google Help Forum:
    battery telling me to charge when it doesn't need it - Android Help
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thirdwave, That is great to hear. Please keep us posted on what they find on this issue...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links