DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spastic 3g coverage? here is what I have found...

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Spastic 3g coverage? here is what I have found...

I did do a search on this topic but did't find any real sollutions.

I, and others here at work with droids, have had some serious issues with flaking out 3g coverage. One day, I'LL have great 3g coverage while my coworker will have 1x coverage that shoots up to 3g 4bars, then instantly drops right back to 1x again. This happens over and over again with no real reasonable cause. Then, the same thing will happen to my Droid on a different day, the same condition.

Thinking it is a service issue, I called verizon to inquire. After talking to their 1st level tech, they forwarded me to a higher level tech. She confirmed the fact that the service in the area was strong, but my, or my coworkers phone was constantly switching from 3g to 1x by looking at how the signal was hitting their "Switch".
    She suggested that I do a factory reset on the Droid to see if this helped. And, Viola, it worked! Now, I had perfect reception, 3g with 4 bars! She waited on the phone with me for a few minutes longer just to confirm that it was acting normal. She later left me a voice mail explaining that her boss has the same problem with his Droid and it is an equipment issue that will hopefully be fixed with a software update.

Which leads me to today, the same issue again! So again I called Verizon techs and explained that this is a real pain to have do a factory reset every time this happens. This time they suggested for me to remove my battery while they killed my service line on their end. Once the service line was disconnected, they had me really install my battery and reprogram the phone by dialling 228. This has also worked to cure my Droid of spastic 3g signal strength.

BUT, one thing is for sure, it does seem to be a problem with the Droid. Either a glitch in the software or an actual flaw in the ability for some droids capturing and holding a 3g signal.

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    I get perfect 3G service except for one little spot in my house. And that's right on my easy chair in front of the television. I see this 3G to 1x from time to time. I don't think it's any kind of "flaw" on the Droid, I think it just happens to be in whatever spot you're in your coverage drops from time to time.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Mine is kinda screwy like this also. I think its the new baseband imo.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    I get perfect 3G service except for one little spot in my house. And that's right on my easy chair in front of the television. I see this 3G to 1x from time to time. I don't think it's any kind of "flaw" on the Droid, I think it just happens to be in whatever spot you're in your coverage drops from time to time.
    I hear what you're saying, but for example I'll be in standing in our parking lot with my Co worker standing next to me and either he or I will have perfect coverage while the other will have the very irregular signal. Then when we do a factory reset, we'll both have perfect reception in that exact same spot....
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I have the same problem at work. A few of us all have droids. I will have 1x and the rest will be 3g. I will even walk into their cube and put their phone next to mine on a table and my signal doesn't change. I've done many factory restores when loading different custom roms so this doesn't really work in my experience. Pulling the battery as well doesn't always fix it. Sometimes... but not every time.
    Current HTC Thunderbolt BAMF stripped

Retired Motorola Droid 1
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID BABY!
    Happens to me as well... battery pull usually does the trick.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    by doing a factory reset, will this erase all my apps and emails or are those on my carrier. I am new to droid but haveing same issue with 3G
    Frank
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    All apps and texts will be erased. After a factory reset, your contacts will sync back to the phone, emails will still be on the gmail server, and you can go to market and any apps you bought will show up under Downloads in the market.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by dunetigger View Post
    by doing a factory reset, will this erase all my apps and emails or are those on my carrier. I am new to droid but haveing same issue with 3G
    Frank
    Frank,
    If you call Verizon's tech support to explain the problem you are experiencing with your data connection and are requesting to have your service line disabled so that you can re establish a new connection by dialling *228 and using option 1. By doing this it will get rid of any bug causing the spastic 3g connection. Also doing it this way preserves all the apps, email and desktop configuration on your phone. BTW, pulling your battery does not work by itself. When the tech at Verizon terminates your current connection, they will have you pull the battery to totally disabled the phone so that this process can be completed. Hope this helps!
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by trowa View Post
    I have the same problem at work. A few of us all have droids. I will have 1x and the rest will be 3g. I will even walk into their cube and put their phone next to mine on a table and my signal doesn't change. I've done many factory restores when loading different custom roms so this doesn't really work in my experience. Pulling the battery as well doesn't always fix it. Sometimes... but not every time.
    I not sure this is the same problem...for example, the signal indicator will be jumping all over the place changing from 3g with four bars to no bars to 1x back to 3g again, all within just a couple of seconds. This happens for hours. By re establishing a service connection, either by factory reset or by dealing directly with a tech to have them terminate your line so that you can reprogram your phone, will stop the very spastic switching from 3g to 1x. But, this does not cure the condition, just the symptom.

I have had to complete this operation 4 times with factory resets and once with the tech help line. Believe me it is much easier to have the tech do it rather than factory reset. You don't loose any of your data or setup.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links