DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Droid VPN PPTP connection not working when encryption is turned on.

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Droid VPN PPTP connection not working when encryption is turned on.

I'm trying to set up a PPTP VPN connection with the Verizon droid. The only way I can get the connection to work is if I turn encryption off in the Droid's VPN settings. (What's the point of having a VPN if the encryption doesn't work?)

I know it is not a problem with the PPTP server the Driod is trying to make a connection with or a firewall problem, because I have an iphone set to maximum encryption that can make a PPTP connection to the same server without a problem.

Any insight would be most welcome.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID 3
    have you found a workaround on this issue? I am having the exact issue as well, tried VZ and Moto support and they had no answers as of yet.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID Build ESE81
    I have a successful PPTP connection with encryption enabled. I have no issues connecting.
    On the Droid:
    I use the public name for the VPN server (Server.Domain.com).
    Enable Encryption - checked
    DNS Search Domain - not set. (I don't fully understand this feature yet.)

I am connecting to a Windows Small SBS 2003 R2 Premium Server with ISA fully configured behind a Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall.

For the SBS Server, follow the wizard. (I hate relying on wizards in general but it works flawlessly for me)

On the Firewall device:
    The following ports must be opened up:
    PPTP - TCP/1723
    LDAP - TCP/389
    HTTPS - TCP/443

You also need to allow the GRE Protocol through. If your firewall / Router does not support GRE, you may be able to trick it by opening TCP/47. This works with Linksys Home routers.

In addition to the ports and protocols being allowed through, I had to create NAT rules on the ASA pointing PPTP and HTTPS to the internal NIC on my SBS Server.

With all this said, I am able to connect to my VPN through the Droid but I fail to see the point since I am unable to navigate the network from the phone or through a tethered computer. I did see a link somewhere suggesting a specific app to navigate the network rather than using the installed explorer. I have another post dealing with this issue though. I hope this info helps.

Detailed information on the server you are trying to connect to will help provide better answers.
    Last edited by insane_ai; 04-14-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: typos
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    This is a common problem with Droid phones apparently.

Unable to connect VPN, pptp or ipsec. - Verizon Wireless Community
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Something has changed for the worse in the past couple of weeks regarding PPTP VPNs. About a month ago I purchased an iPad and after jailbreaking the iPad, and rooting the droid (I'm running bugless beast) I was able to establish a bluetooth connection from the iPad to the droid and tether it's internet connection (I'm using the wireless tether for root application). In this mode I was able to establish a PPTP VPN from the iPad to my home network, using the iPad's PPTP application.

Sometime in the last week or so, this has quit working. From doing some tests I have determined the following:

• The iPad can still establish a PPTP VPN to my home network when at a hotspot, so it's not the iPad PPTP setup, or my home network's setup.

• The iPad cannot establish a PPTP VPN session while tethered to the droid either via bluetooth or wireless, when the droid is connected to the internet via 3g.

• The droid cannot establish a PPTP VPN using it's software to my home network when using 3g internet.

• When the droid is connected to the internet via wireless everything works. The iPad can connect via PPTP VPN with bluetooth tethered to the droid as long as the droid is connected via wireless and not 3g. The droid's PPTP VPN app also connects fine when the droid is connected via wireless and not 3g.

Based on this I'd say that the problem is not in the droid's PPTP application or associated networking components, but is either in the droid's 3g network stack software or in verizon's 3g network itself. As this worked a couple of weeks ago from the iPad I'm beginning to suspect that verizon has done something in their 3g network, intentional or not, to block PPTP.

mudtoe
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I set up two vpn's on at Work and another for Home. Set up was on a windows xp pro workstation in both cases. setup was thru incoming connections both reqiure encription or server will disconnect
    my home connection only works when encryption is off and my work only
    works with encryption turned on both work only when connected thru wifi connection not the 3g network.

I give up this makes no sence to me not even consistant ???!!!
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    correction my work connection does connect on the 3G network sometimes???

noteworthy I am running android 2.2
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Got everthing Working with VPN's however on 3G Network two or three tries may be required before a connection is established
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    htc android

Lightbulb Support is here

Here is the solution please post if this works for you

Solution to : Android 2.1 and 2.2 VPN PPTP over Verizon General IP blocked and Firewalled Don't Panic

- You are justified in being angry about the abuse we are getting from verizon!
  11. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    This problem has nothing to do with Droid or any other phone model. It's a bug in Android.
    As far as I know this bug is in all Android versions so far. It has been detected over 3 years ago but hasn't been fixed.
    You can find more details and workaround in this article:

http://www.securitykiss.com/sk/index...droid_pptp_bug
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links