How to setup Yahoo IMAP mail on droid
Make sure Wi-Fi is turned off
I would like to ask a mod to please sticky this in the FAQ thread
- Press the E-Mail icon (the default Android E-Mail application)
- Enter your Yahoo E-Mail address and password
- Press “Manual Setup” in the lower left hand corner
- For “Incoming Server Settings” set the IMAP server to “imap.mail.yahoo.com” and the Port to 143
- For “Outgoing Server Settings” set the SMTP Server to “smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com” and the Port to 587
- Check “Require sign-in” and press Next
- Select how often your phone will check for Email, and choose default options
- Give the account a name and set your display name for outgoing messages
possible yahoo imap solution
I found some more info on the IMAP settings, but as I am not a programmer, this discussion is becoming a bit confusing for me. Here is a link to where I got my settings
Incoming server: SSL set to always, authentication plain, port 993, IMAP path is automatic, Poll when connecting for push is checked and refresh IDLE is 29 minutes. (polling is off)
Outgoing Server: SMTP.Mail.yahoo.com, security none, port 587, require sign-in is checked, authentication plain
So far I am able to send email and it shows up on my gmail account right away. (there is a lag in the notification of a second or two however).
Sending back from gmail to sbcglobal.... not so much. shows up on my computer right away, but waited 5 minutes and then hit "Check Mail" before it showed up.
I know if you change the poll frequency that will allow the account to send mail, but I'm hoping for behavior similar to my gmail account, which does it automatically. Any suggestions?
Oh, and please don't ask me 'why don't you just use gmail?'. thanks!