DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB device not recognized when plugged into computer

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

USB device not recognized when plugged into computer

I have tried plugging the provided USB cable from my droid to several laptops and each time a pop-up box informs me that the USB device is not recognized. It says the device has malfunctioned, and to try reconnecting the device....but no matter which USB port I plug it into on 3 different laptops I can't access my droid. This is the first time I have ever plugged it in! Any suggestions?

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Hey there,
    Honestly I dont have access to my droid as of yet (in the mail) so I cant be totally sure but it sounds like you need to load the motorola USB drivers that can be found here. That's only the windows versions though. Hope that helps you, pretty sure it will. Anyway, GL .
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks for that Eivaldr, but I had in fact tried that. I downloaded the 64bit device installer to my laptop with no luck. I run windows 7 on my computer, but I have also tried plugging in the USB to other computers using windows XP or Vista....no luck.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    You are mounting the phone inside of the droid right?
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    verizon droid
    Check the notifications on your droid after you've plugged it in. You have to explicitly use the droid as a usb storage device.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    All is well. I went to Verizon and explained what happened. The sales rep tried using my phone and my charger/USB cord on his computer and the same thing happened. He then grabbed a new Droid phone and used the same charger/USB cord with no problem having it connect to the computer. The guy said he suspects it was a problem with microSD card, but he went ahead and gave me a new Droid altogether but let me keep the previous charger/USB cord. Once I got home I tried it out and it worked perfectly.

For those of you that posted I should check my notifications tab, the Droid would not even register that it was connected via USB to a computer, let alone pop up a notification that I could mount/unmount the card. Thanks for the advice though.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Glad you got it figured out. I had a similar problem on previous phones and had to get it exchanged at the verizon store shortly after puchase. Sometimes these phones are just DOA for certain features, which makes me wonder if or to what extent they are tested.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr MAXX

Wink Good support from Verizon

It certainly sounds like Verizon is quick to swap out phones when things go wrong. I like that! No hassle, just pretty good service.
    Cleanse the gene pool,
    Stamp out warning labels.
    Member #
    Phone
    Rotary
    My issue is a bit different.
    When I plug in via USB into my windows 7 laptop it is registered and appeared as a separate drive, but when I try to open this drive in explorer – it is not accessible. The card seems fine, I was able to move files via Bluetooth with no problem.

Any suggestions?
  11. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpow View Post
    All is well. I went to Verizon and explained what happened. The sales rep tried using my phone and my charger/USB cord on his computer and the same thing happened. He then grabbed a new Droid phone and used the same charger/USB cord with no problem having it connect to the computer. The guy said he suspects it was a problem with microSD card, but he went ahead and gave me a new Droid altogether but let me keep the previous charger/USB cord. Once I got home I tried it out and it worked perfectly.

For those of you that posted I should check my notifications tab, the Droid would not even register that it was connected via USB to a computer, let alone pop up a notification that I could mount/unmount the card. Thanks for the advice though.
    I had the exact same problem with the messages "USB device not recognized" and "USB device has malfunctioned" appearing even when the droid was just charging with a PC (not file syncing). Sometimes it would go a whole day without an issue, other times it would occur immediately when connected, although file syncing was always an issue.

The droid would also sporadically reset itself. It was intermittent however, sometimes I was able to mount the drive, but the drive would dismount itself after a few seconds or minutes. This occurred on both a Windows XP 32 bit laptop (with both 4.1.0 and 4.2.0 drivers tested) and a Windows 7 x64 desktop (with and without 4.1.0 installed). At one point performing a file operation on the SD card actually blue-screened my Windows 7 box, which is what prompted me to return the droid to Verizon for another one, using this thread as backup.

Since I was within 30 days of purchasing it they were willing to (or had to upon my request?) swap it for a new one. The tech at the store told the sales guy he also believed it was a hardware issue although it's unclear whether he had any prior knowledge of an issue.

On a side note, the new phone's autofocus works like a charm whereas my old one’s only hope of autofocusing seemed to be the forthcoming 12/11/09 update. My guess is their first batch of phones had some issues that were resolved with a minor release with their next batch.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links