DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: GPS possible on droid without 3G service?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I have the Droid 1 and it needs phone service to get started then it will use GPS if your in an area where the service is iffy, actually works pretty well considering it's a phone not a GPS.
    I agree that it works well when there is phone service. What bothers me is that I think the limitation may be a business decision by Verizon to cripple the GPS if there is no phone service. I don't understand why they would do this. Maybe there is some other thing going on, but so far no one has figured it out. It is made more murky by the fact that most people have little understanding of GPS. So you get a lot of answers by people that don't understand the real problem.
    Last edited by hiker_jon; 01-25-2011 at 01:05 PM.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

GPS Not Working

Since I have installed Shadow Rom, my GPS will not find my current location. I rechecked and GPS is checked. I just downloaded the above app Orux Maps and it still can't find my location. It just says "Waiting for GPS position fix" and just sits there.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droidx

Will my GPS work while hunting or hiking in an area where there is no cell service?

just curious i do alot of hunting in areas where i have no cell service wondering if i am in these areas of no cell coverage will i be able to turn on and find my location on my droid x via google maps or are there apps that i can find my location without cell coverage just using the gps?
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Download a good gps app. I use back country navigator pro. You can save custom map areas to your phone when you have service so you can still use the map, and gps without cell signal when you don't have service. This has worked great for me. I also took advantage of amazons free app a few days ago which was Gaia gps or something, I havn't used it very much, but seems very similar to BCNP. Both were actually 10 dollar apps, as I said amazon had Gaia for free the other day, and the developer of BCNP didn't put a lock on the pro service so if you or a friend pay for the liscense key, the app can be bluetoothed to other phones for free. I sent him an email informing him of his mistake, not sure if it was fixed yet.
    Sent from my rooted D2G
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droidx
    So the back country pro works well?? I was looking at but but didn't purchase it because I didn't want to buy it if it didn't do what I needed. So ur saying with the BCNP I can use the gps to locate my elk hunting area ( where there is not a hint of cell coverage) while I have coverage and then once I get to the area where there isn't coverage the map is saved? For instance could I set waypoint like camp before i get there while having cell coverage and while out hiking be able to open BCNP and locate myself to relation of camp with no cell coverage? ??
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Yes, as long as you download the map sections while you have coverage. Do not rely on your phone to simply cache it. The controls are a lil funny, for example, you must uncheck gps in the program to find the download map button, but after figuring it out, yes I think it works well, try the free version first by all means though.

Sent from my rooted D2G
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I love GPS Status/Radar. Only issue is that it only does one target at a time.
    I'd love to get something similar, but with some small amount of waypoint storage.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Links