DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! I dropped my Droid.

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    Hey I want like to say that I just had this same problem as the OP this morning.... Now yesterday was St. Patrick's day and I was out. I have no recollection of dropping my phone at all. None the less this morning my phone would just not turn on. I am also rooted and after coming to the conclusion that the phone was not working at all I broke down and took it to the Verizon store. After about 2 minutes of the tech looking at it he told me he had no idea and that he was having a new one sent to me as they had none in the store at the time. He confirmed my address and that was that. No mention of insurance or any type of payment. He also didn't mention that I had to give the old one back so I will be interested to see what happens. If anyone figures out what causes this or a possible fix please let me know since I could have a second droid!
    Last edited by 3rdphotorecon; 03-18-2010 at 10:38 PM.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdphotorecon View Post
    Hey I want like to say that I just had this same problem as the OP this morning.... Now yesterday was St. Patrick's day and I was out. I have no recollection of dropping my phone at all. None the less this morning my phone would just not turn on. I am also rooted and after coming to the conclusion that the phone was not working at all I broke down and took it to the Verizon store. After about 2 minutes of the tech looking at it he told me he had no idea and that he was having a new one sent to me as they had none in the store at the time. He confirmed my address and that was that. No mention of insurance or any type of payment. He also didn't mention that I had to give the old one back so I will be interested to see what happens. If anyone figures out what causes this or a possible fix please let me know since I could have a second droid!
    Similar thing happened to me, only I didn't get to keep my original DROID. I dropped mine and the screen no longer worked. Powered on, but didn't display. I brought it in and the tech lady just went in back and grabbed me a new phone, no questions asked. She swapped them and told me to be careful. No insurance co-payment or nothing. It made me wonder if there have been issues with the phones that they were just going ahead and going around insurance claims and just replacing them at no charge. I'm not complaining, but it made me think...
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by thechom80 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdphotorecon View Post
    Similar thing happened to me, only I didn't get to keep my original DROID. I dropped mine and the screen no longer worked. Powered on, but didn't display. I brought it in and the tech lady just went in back and grabbed me a new phone, no questions asked. She swapped them and told me to be careful. No insurance co-payment or nothing. It made me wonder if there have been issues with the phones that they were just going ahead and going around insurance claims and just replacing them at no charge. I'm not complaining, but it made me think...

If you drop and break your phone, and there is no physical evidence that it was dropped/wet, VZW normally will replace it as defective.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid (Verizon)
    I think this insurance debate is all about intent, which no one can really prove.

Its stupid to say that insurance shouldn't cover a rooted/bricked phone, since it covers loss, damage, or theft.

If I leave my phone at a Starbucks and come back 8 hours later looking for it and it's not there, then it's covered by insurance, but if I try to load a modification on it, it isnt?

Isn't that what insurance is for? If it was a defect that wasn't your fault, wouldn't it be covered under the manufacturers warranty anyway? I mean why would you use insurance? If you're phone was dropped, you were being careless. If you're phone was lost, you were being careless. If your phone was stolen, you should have been better at protecting in it, if it shorted out by being in the rain, you were being irresponsible. Short of someone robbing you at gunpoint, or breaking into your car/home, all of these things seem to be like negligance on the owner's part. Why wouldn't rooting the phone be put into the same category?

I agree 100% that a rooted phone shouldn't be covered under the manufacturer's warranty...even if its a hardware issue. Overclocking *could* create more heat and fry something (dont' think you could prove it, but also don't think you could prove against it). Some crappy software mod that sends the radio or the processor in a loop could be a bad thing....I get that too.

The deductable is $100 and the monthly fee is what? Like $6? I'm not sure if Verizon skims anything off the top. How much do you think a reconditioned phone costs them? I'd bet it's not more than $150-$200...for all I know, it could be under $100.

If rooting your phone voids the insurance, there's an easy solution. Take said phone, throw up against brick wall, and file insurance claim....sounds real logical.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    MOTA855
    ok...ok, let's get to the root of this. What's rooting?
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by cptnjack View Post
    I dropped my Droid getting out of my car and now it will not turn on. I've tried to take out and reinsert the battery but nothing. I have insurance but I had just rooted my phone and I was wondering if this will make a difference to Verizon assuming they can get it to work. If so is there anyway to unroot with out powering up? Maybe deleting files from the memory card? Thanks for any help.
    Are you sure you didn't lose it?
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Is this one of the fringe benefits of rooting?! (sarcasm) (dripping wet)
    " I'm Wating for the Nexus "
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by LtKen View Post

Also, you have no idea what the profit margin is for the insurance companies. If they gave away phones, they'd be out of business. That's that.

Rant over.
    Only one insurance company had a profit in 2008 of only 99.289 billion $ net income , and that was a bad year so I wouldn't cry for insurance companies profits .
    If they don't cover a rooted phone or a droped phone , then what's the f.... reason I pay insurance ? In 2 years I would pay 255 $ insurance for one phone including deductible . They get this phones for less than 200$ . Less than 10% of the people paying insurance are making a claim in 2 yrs so I'll let you do the math , hope you enjoy being robbed and cry for the robber .
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by smokiedabong View Post
    Only one insurance company had a profit in 2008 of only 99.289 billion $ net income , and that was a bad year so I wouldn't cry for insurance companies profits .
    If they don't cover a rooted phone or a droped phone , then what's the f.... reason I pay insurance ? In 2 years I would pay 255 $ insurance for one phone including deductible . They get this phones for less than 200$ . Less than 10% of the people paying insurance are making a claim in 2 yrs so I'll let you do the math , hope you enjoy being robbed and cry for the robber .
    Which is why I dont pay insurance.

OP, let us know what you decide to do and the outcome.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtocolDroid View Post
    Gucci, get off insurance companies wang....like they aren't making a killing of all us suckers every day. He didn't do anything wrong just dropped his phone. The rooting isnt what broke it gravity is. Why should rooting even be a bad thing. They say the droid is so we can have the freedom to do what we want with OUR own phone...he did. Why punish him for that. You sound like at&t and the iphone...
    Right he dropped his phone. Its not VZWs fault that gravity got a hold of this guys phone after it left his hand and hurdled toward the earth, its his, whether it was an accident or not thats your own deal, rooted or not, which brings us to why we have insurance on our phones. ps let me know if you find some of those not for profit cell towers and ins providers.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links