DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: I hope this helps someone (email on Droid write-up)

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Lightbulb I hope this helps someone (email on Droid write-up)

Hey everyone!
    Sorry, if this has all been said before, but I couldn't find a write up on it. I have been scouring the forums trying to figure out how to get my e-mail to my Droid in a way that also allowed me to use my desktop e-mail client (Outlook 2003) in tandem. I like having my e-mail on my computer for back up instead of just floating on a cloud server. I just feel more comfortable being directly responsible for my own e-mail.

All that sounds easy right? Well I had a hard time figuring it out, and I feel that I'm a reasonably intelligent guy. Sometimes we get so entangled in the complicated advanced features of our phones that the "simple" things are just taken for granted. So I thought that I'd toss this on here in hopes that someone else finds it useful.

We all seem to agree that the "corporate e-mail" app is terrible and I've found that it breaks all the time. So I decided to stop using it and just have everything on my Gmail account. The Gmail app seems to work really well and gets my e-mails to me very quickly. Here's how I moved all my e-mail to Gmail and working in harmony with Outlook 2003. I'm not an IT guy, and I don't have much experience in this, but this is how it worked for me. I hope it works for you too.

Step 1: Go into your current, non-Gmail, online email server and have all your e-mail forward to your gmail account. This seems to be a fairly painless process easily accessed in your "Settings" menu of your existing e-mail service.

Step 2: Go into your online Gmail account and go into "Settings". From there enter the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" subfolder. Then go down to "IMAP Access" and click "Enable IMAP". Make sure you click on "Save changes", otherwise all your work isn't going to matter.
    Gmail account>Settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP>IMAP Access>Enable IMAP> Save changes

Step 3: Configure your e-mail client, in my case Outlook 2003, to run your new Gmail account. Google has a tutorial for some popular e-mail clients they support. Assuming you are still in the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" menu, just click on "configuration instructions". But if not, here's the link. Supported IMAP client list - Gmail Help

Step 4: Follow the instructions for your respective e-mail client.

Step 5: If you can afford to, notify everyone on your contact list and notify them of your e-mail address change. I've found that if there are fewer hoops for messages to jump through, the more likely they are to get to you.

Step 6: In Outlook 20003 I had to delete my old e-mail account. If I didn't do that I got duplicate e-mails due to them being received by Outlook, then forwarded to Gmail which is now being received by Outlook. I don't know if that happens in every client, it would be logical but I don't know. All my e-mails and contacts are still there even though I deleted the account.

As long as you have saved your preferences and followed the instructions that Google had for your client you should start receiving your e-mail in (theoretically) 3 places. Your online account, your Droid, and your e-mail client.

You may have noticed in "Step 2" that there was an option in your e-mail for POP access. I didn't know the difference between the two yesterday and these links helped me decide which one I wanted. You can find them under "learn more" in both the POP and IMAP options respectively. But here are the links just in case.
    IMAP learn more: Getting started with IMAP for Gmail - Gmail Help
    POP learn more: About POP - Gmail Help

I personally like IMAP now that I know about it. I receive my e-mail in my Outlook 2003, Gmail, and on my Droid almost simultaneously. And when I reply or delete in one of those, it occurs in the other two. That way I don't have mystery replies without originating messages in one place and not another and blah blah blah. IMAP makes everything talk to each other and display all the same information so I stay sane.

This particular plan isn't going to move your contacts or your calendar to the Google counterparts. This is only for new e-mail getting to your e-mail client and phone. I know you can "Import" your e-mail and contacts to your Gmail account from the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" menu, but that option wasn't what I needed. All of my contacts and their e-mail addresses were on my old phone, which got moved to my Droid, which synced with my google account. I just needed all my new e-mails accessible from my desktop and communicating with my Google account and my Droid.

Like I said, I scoured the forums trying to find a simple write-up on this, but couldn't find it. I'm brand new to my Droid and was having some frustration with receiving e-mail. I finally got it figured out in a way that works for me. I really hope this helps someone else having the same frustrations I was having. If someone has an easier way of doing this or knows something more efficient please share. I would love to hear suggestions.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    VERY nice writeup !!! I'm sure it will help quite a few people
    *~*Corinacakes*~*

-Keep your political and religious views off this forum.
    -We are here to have fun and learn, so please try and keep it that way for everyone!

If you like my work and would like to help get my nails done I'd love it!

Links