DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Properly Reassign Phone Button

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto
    Quote Originally Posted by 640k View Post
    a little research would tell you that Google had a large part in designing the A855. you knew that the phone lacked these physical buttons when you purchased it. if you can't get the application to do what you want, you should try emailing the developer to see if they can help you with your situation.
    Nowhere did I ever read about Google telling Motorola to specifically not include a call button. I apologize but I didn't receive the memo from Motorola or Google.

with that said, i've had no problems or complaints multitasking between a phone conversation and doing anything else on my phone. the controls are plain and simple, they react efficiently and effectively and the phone does what i want.

do you need help understanding how to switch between tasks while on a phone call? maybe we can tackle that problem since the lack of physical buttons is not something that anyone can solve.
    The problems are simple:

(1) How do you use hands free voice dialing without having to look at the phone several times?

(2) How do you pick up a call without having to look at the phone? I'm not sure there is a way.

(3) How do you simply pull up the call screen by pressing a button to get you there?

(4) How do you simply get back to the phone application screen instantly?
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid A855
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JCo352 View Post
    If you dislike the phone that much return it, simple as that...
    Reading really helps understand the problem, unlike your suggestion. Thanks for stating the incredibly obvious.
    Your welcome, but it also helps to ask a question and not rant about how crappy the phone is
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    The problems are simple:

(1) How do you use hands free voice dialing without having to look at the phone several times?
    there are several approaches to this, but both voice dialing approaches require you to look at the phone (long-press search button, vs. vd app).

another approach is to use a BT headset that works with favorites, a few have been mentioned on the site.

also, for example, i have a car with nav that allows me to control my phone from the nav. i can select who to call and what to do with the call from that screen.

when using VD or the search button, try saying, CALL (name) MOBILE. it should dial the number as soon as it recognizes your command. the search button works for lots of things, including navigation.

but as far as making calls, you have to make complete sentences and not hesitate during your command.

long press search key, "CALL MIKE SMITH MOBILE" and the call is made.

(2) How do you pick up a call without having to look at the phone? I'm not sure there is a way.
    BT solves this, otherwise you have to slide the answer button. iPhones are exactly the same way.

(3) How do you simply pull up the call screen by pressing a button to get you there?
    if not on a call, opening the phone app will take you directly to the dial pad. while on a call, it depends on where you are. you can long-press the home key to bring up the task manager and switch to the phone app. you can drag the notification panel down to return the the call in progress, or you can open the phone app and select "return to call in progress."

i don't know if there's an instant solution, but each one of the methods i posted above will take care of that. you can also setup shortcuts on the keyboard that will launch the phone app.

my WinMo phone wasn't any easier to use. although i had physical buttons to get back to the call, getting out of the call to do anything else was cumbersome.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    not sure why reassigning buttons and getting unexpected results is a fault of Moto. if you go through the normal procedures, everything works properly, right? sounds to me like the button reassigning app doesn't do its job very well.
    It's Moto's fault that they were idiot enough to NOT include a phone button ON A PHONE!!!!

Yes, I can search all different ways. I can take a wickedly poor camera shot and have a dedicated button for that. I can have a home button that holding it down is the multitasking (better assigned to the menu button) but it doesn't aut launch voice dialing or the phone application.

No, none of these. In order to use the phone I have to turn on the phone from the top, hit the home screen button, make sure that I've used at least TWO of my few spaces (not condensed enough) to include both the phone app and voice dialing, press those buttons, and then make a menu selection if I use voice dialing as to which entry (if it popped up) works. Genius.

On the iPHone (or many) you hit the main button or phone button to get to the PHONE screen when in a call or to voice dial. I have NO WAY to hang up a call easily and properly, except to hope that for some idiotic reason I have to drag down the notifications bar to see a phone message to choose that message to launch the phone app. For voice dialing it's hold the home button and voice dialing launches (genius... right?) and you speak the input and then the phone will repeat it as it does what you want so you know how the phone wants your contact spoken. In addition, if I say "call so and so on mobile" it does that. It doesn't give me all the choices for a contact. It is the worst implentation of voice dialing I have seen since the 20th century. And it also takes FOREVER for voice dial to figure out what you're saying to the point where you wonder if what you spoke even registered (no input indicator like on google voice search.)

Seriously... the person who designed the phone should be fired without a pension. I can't imagine much stupider than this. I love the phone because it does more than my iPhone but there was no reason to design this phone so poorly that I'm trying to find apps to just get the phone part to work efficiently as a phone should.
    More stupid.
    -Respect is rule #1
    -Email us at DroidForumPromo@gmail to become a Supporting Vendor.
    -Not around as often as I used to be... Still, feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help with!
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    jello anyone?
  6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Tried to use Button Shortcut app to reassign the camera and search keys for phone function. Long press should launch voice dial and phone app. No such love. Press and hold key for phone results in:

Sorry! Activity Phone (in process android.process.acore) is not responding.

If you hit "wait" it does work but why bother. By that time you could have done the 2-3 keypresses and a swipe it may take to just get to the stupid phone function. Motorola is dumber than a bag of bricks. Hopefully we'll be able to reassign the button
    What you want to do is possible but I don't know why you are getting the error you are getting.
    I've used Button Shortcut along with Voice Dialer HF (a non-free app).
    Without looking at the phone I can press the power button then long-press the camera button and up comes the voice up...every time without error.
    There have been folks who have returned their phones for a replacement for various reasons. You can try talking to a rep on the phone or bring your phone to a store. You can also ask others if they have this same issue (I am not) and use that as proof it should work if the store should not agree there is something wrong. You can also ask the store to install the free Button Shorcut app on one of their phones and when it works (and yours does not) they should give you a replacement.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 2.02
    It is a DUMB DESIGN. You can rationalize from here until Uranus why it's not a defect but it is a MAJOR DESIGN DEFECT.
    No. It's just not what you're used to. It works just fine for lots of people.

I bet you complain that the iPod doesn't have a power off button, too.
    ----
    the mod who changed my sig, which followed all the rules.

8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto
    640 - THANK YOU for trying to make helpful suggestions. I really do appreciate it very much. Hopefully we'll figure out a way to lick this for what could otherwise be a really good phone.

there are several approaches to this, but both voice dialing approaches require you to look at the phone (long-press search button, vs. vd app).
    Unfortunately this defeats the entire purpose of hands free voice dialing.

but as far as making calls, you have to make complete sentences and not hesitate during your command. long press search key, "CALL MIKE SMITH MOBILE" and the call is made.
    I do that and virtually every time the phone gives me all options to call, e.g. say the above and then if there is an office number to it will show Mike Smith office and Mike Smith mobile. I then say to the phone "didn't I say "mobile"?"

BT solves this, otherwise you have to slide the answer button. iPhones are exactly the same way.
    I don't want to use bluetooth. I never use bluetooth. My battery is horrible enough as it is and I have plenty of wired headsets for highest fidelity. I can answer the phone with the answer button on the headset or with the home button on the iphone. You can't answer the phone with any hardware button as far as I can tell. But let's say that answering is not a huge problem hitting the screen.

if not on a call, opening the phone app will take you directly to the dial pad. while on a call, it depends on where you are. you can long-press the home key to bring up the task manager and switch to the phone app. you can drag the notification panel down to return the the call in progress, or you can open the phone app and select "return to call in progress."
    And here is the BIG problem. I'm out at night and the phone refuses to turn on quickly because the light sensor thinks it's blocked. On my iPhone I hit the home button and the phone will turn on. I keep hitting buttons on this phone, including power, and there is a significant delay until it turns on.

i don't know if there's an instant solution, but each one of the methods i posted above will take care of that. you can also setup shortcuts on the keyboard that will launch the phone app.
    So let me get this straight. I'm holding my phone and the only way I can do this is to stop, use my other hand to pull out the keybaord and then hopefully hit the keypad. Completely unacceptable. It's a phone. It needs to act as a phone. Getting to the phone application should be pretty simple.

my WinMo phone wasn't any easier to use. although i had physical buttons to get back to the call, getting out of the call to do anything else was cumbersome.
    I don't know which phone that was but I don't remember any phone for the past few years, save maybe a handful at best, that had this problem.

Mikes - when do something more than play games with your phone, you'll realize what your statement means that "it works for many people." Yeah, fine. It works if you don't drive, if you don't have night in your part of the world, and if you don't count the times it doesn't screw up. Yes, it technically works. But never in a million years would I believe that this phone makes it a beast to use the phone.

Not a day goes by where something doesn't go wrong with the phone portion.

(1) The ringer goes to vibrate without telling me.

(2) It's night time and it's difficult to get back to the phone application because there isn't really a hot button to say "Yo!!! Droid!!! It's night time and my face isn't blocking the light sensor!"

(3) I will frequently find that the phone doesn't really hang up. The call will still linger and I'll notice 5 minutes later that the call is still connected.

(4) I just want the phone to work like it did on the limited iPhone. At least Apple got the phone part right as do many other companies like Blackberry.

Since I am far from the only one, quit your silly phan boy rants. So you will ignore this and it works for you. Super duper. If you can't take the heat, don't read the thread. I'm looking for people who are trying to fix what Motorola/Google should be fixing... just like the phone log bug which Google still hasn't corrected in 8 months. WHY? Because Motorola wants you to buy the Droid 2....
    Last edited by hinky; 02-24-2010 at 08:52 PM.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    More stupid.
    The only thing stupid is to ignore the fact that there is a real design defect instead of trying to FIX an obvious problem and find a solution. Covering eyes and ears from all criticism of the precious Droid and yelling "Stupid!!! More Stoopid!!!" means you're in some kind of denial. I'm sorry for you and your Droid.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    In regards to the hands free voice dialing, if you're not using a bluetooth headset how are you planning on making calls completely hands free. Someone stated above that its easy if you just hold the search button and tell it what you want it to do. I don't think there is a phone out there that will allow you to dial someones number simply by speaking without using a bluetooth headset or having to touch the phone in some way. Also, in regards to the voice dialing, maybe you should try enunciating a little a bit. I'm not trying to be facetious at all mind you, I just know that sometimes if I dont enunciate very clearly, it won't necessarily do the right thing, but if I'm deliberate and clear, it'll call the right number every time. In fact i just did it while writing this to double check.

With the light sensor issue, I'm pretty sure its actually a proximity sensor. The light sensor just adjusts screen brightness. The proximity sensor detects if your face is close to the phone. If it is it assumes you're in a call and shuts the screen off. Darkness should have nothing to do with it. I can have my phone in complete can't-see-your-hand-in-front-of-your-face-darkness and if I press the power button it comes on instantly. If yours isn't, that could mean you have a defective unit, which is totally possible.

Also, your calls shouldn't be staying on after the call has ended. Unless the person at the other end remains on the phone, once they hang up the call ends. So if you haven't pressed end, but the other person ended the call, it should still end. Unless you are unknowingly leaving a voice-mail or something.

Aside from your issues with not having a dedicated phone button, which would be nice I'll admit, it sounds like most of your problems probably come from a defective unit. I would exchange it and see how it goes, if not then you might just need a new phone. But to imply that only people who play games and don't really do anything else find the phone easy to deal with is just foolish and ignorant at best.
    Last edited by pyro6128; 02-24-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links