DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Email Force Closes, won't open any messages

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Email Force Closes, won't open any messages

I synced up my corporate e-mail account, all appeared to be well. For a few days it worked without issue.

Now, whenever I try to open a message, I get an error message stating that the application will force close. I cannot open any mail messages. I tried removing/re-adding the account, same thing.

Is this a known problem?

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    After frantically searching online, I found the solution. Apparently removing the account doesn't necessarily remove all the data associated with it. Following the procedure from the link below worked:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16336

At any rate, I found a workaround.

Go to Home>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications

Click the Menu button and select "Filter"

Select "Running"

Scroll down to the "Email" application. Select "Clear Data"

(This is effectively the same thing as deleting the account and starting over, however when I tried to delete/recreate the account using the UI, it didn't work. After deleting the information through the Application Manager, it appears that my email is working now.)
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I am getting an error message that says:

Sorry!

The application Email (process com.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Force close

I have been through Verizon's customer service and tried all of the troubleshooting ideas...they referred me to Motorola and I have been through both Level 1 and Level 2 technical support and they have tried several troubleshooting ideas including the process you mention. Nothing has helped, the email works for a little while then I start receiving the error message again. BTW, one of the things we tried included resetting the device to factory default.

Any ideas?
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Did you try my troubleshooting tip?
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I had the same problem. I spoke to Verizon twice about it. They could not figure it out. I told them that after I deleted my Google, yahoo, and outlook account it worked fine for a day and then another message. They told me to do a factory reset and load one app a day and try that (which I think is ridiculous). I was going to do the reset, but she called me back and brought up the fact that I only have the $30 data plan and I need the $45 plan which I know that's not true but then she asked if I am syncing the calendar and contacts. Which I was, and then everything made sense. Both times I put stuff in the calendar I got that message I stopped syncing the calendar and contacts. It’s only been a couple of hours but its still working. I’m going to try tomorrow around this time to sync the calendar and hopefully it will crash and I strongly believe the will be the issue.

If anybody has tried this please let me know.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    I had the same problem. I spoke to Verizon twice about it. They could not figure it out. I told them that after I deleted my Google, yahoo, and outlook account it worked fine for a day and then another message. They told me to do a factory reset and load one app a day and try that (which I think is ridiculous). I was going to do the reset, but she called me back and brought up the fact that I only have the $30 data plan and I need the $45 plan which I know that's not true but then she asked if I am syncing the calendar and contacts. Which I was, and then everything made sense. Both times I put stuff in the calendar I got that message I stopped syncing the calendar and contacts. Itís only been a couple of hours but its still working. Iím going to try tomorrow around this time to sync the calendar and hopefully it will crash and I strongly believe the will be the issue.

If anybody has tried this please let me know.
    Good work trying to track it down, and that may be the issue on your phone.

On mine, the problem has not recurred. I've always been syncing both calendar and contacts. I went ahead and created a new meeting on my calendar to test, and I am still not having problems with the e-mail.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    otaku,

I tried your solution yesterday and it only worked for one day. I think that it crashed after I tried syncing the calendar again today. I hope that I can sync the calendar but I would rather solve this problem, then rather have a synced calendar.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    otaku,

I tried your solution yesterday and it only worked for one day. I think that it crashed after I tried syncing the calendar again today. I hope that I can sync the calendar but I would rather solve this problem, then rather have a synced calendar.
    I'd be willing to bet that one of your calendar entries has some corrupt data, for some reason. Maybe it isn't affecting Outlook, but for some reason crashes the Android email app. You could TRY copying all of your calendar data to a new calendar; deleting the entire original calendar; and transferring the new copy back to the original. Don't know for sure if this will help, but it could be worth a try.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    otaku,

I'd be willing to bet that one of your calendar entries has some corrupt data, for some reason. Maybe it isn't affecting Outlook, but for some reason crashes the Android email app. You could TRY copying all of your calendar data to a new calendar; deleting the entire original calendar; and transferring the new copy back to the original. Don't know for sure if this will help, but it could be worth a try.
    Dave
    All I did with the calendar is put in like one line of text nothing else I can't imagine that would corrupt the calendar. I am going to try to sync the calendar today again and see if I get that error again. I will report back later.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I was getting this error on a hotmail account, no calendar for syncing I cleared the data as mentioned above and it's working for now. Time will tell.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links