DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Delete a Contact

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto

Cannot Delete a Contact

Using a Motorola Droid, just purchased, I imported contacts using CompanionLink. All was good initially. Now I cannot delete some contacts. I tried the menu key and "delete contact" and that didn't work. I tried holding down on the contact and choosing delete, that didn't work. Turned of gmail sync too, rebooted, that didn't work either. Deleted all info. Contact now "unknown" but it still cannot be deleted.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A955
    Not sure about this one, but I'd use a PC to sign into gmail and see what things look like there. Contacts on the droid aren't like "traditional" phones. All of your contacts that are in gmail are accessible from the phone, you just choose what you want displayed. This is how you can, say, list only contacts with phone numbers in the list, but still have the auto complete come up for an email. Log in from a PC and look over your contacts there, after on your phone, try contacts-menu-display options, to investigate further.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto
    In GMail the contacts listed total about 300. I have at least 600 more in Outlook and on the phone. For some reason many of them, including this one, do not appear in GMail, the account synced to my phone.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    Using a Motorola Droid, just purchased, I imported contacts using CompanionLink. All was good initially. Now I cannot delete some contacts. I tried the menu key and "delete contact" and that didn't work. I tried holding down on the contact and choosing delete, that didn't work. Turned of gmail sync too, rebooted, that didn't work either. Deleted all info. Contact now "unknown" but it still cannot be deleted.
    Open the edit screen for the contact, and clear all the data from each field. Scroll to the bottom, click the MORE Arrow, and be sure all that info is cleared out.

After this, you will be able to delete it.

Craig
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto
    Quote Originally Posted by cpinto View Post
    Open the edit screen for the contact, and clear all the data from each field. Scroll to the bottom, click the MORE Arrow, and be sure all that info is cleared out.

After this, you will be able to delete it.

Craig
    Nope. It just says "unknown contact" and refuses to delete any way I know how.

More serious problems - After importing my contacts using CompanionLink and more contacts dumped in from Facebook, MyBackup Pro will not back up contacts without SQL errors. It is choking on blank fields. You have to add in "US" to many of the entries to fix the problem, impossible when you have hundreds if not over 1000 contacts. Worse when you can't even delete contacts.

This is a serious problem. I can't imagine I'm the only one with this issue.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    If it will not delete, be sure everything is removed from every field.

I also renamed it to "A", then it would delete.

I know, very strange.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto

I know, very strange.
    I used a third party app called contact cleaner or delete contacts. Ripped everything out of the Droid and starting again. This is a real pain. I have also learned to NOT use CompanionLInk's software with the innovation. Unfortunately a good idea but nothing is compatible. Right now Android's Outlook and contact sync is a total mess, unfortunately.
  8. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member

I know, very strange.
    I used a third party app called contact cleaner or delete contacts. Ripped everything out of the Droid and starting again. This is a real pain. I have also learned to NOT use CompanionLInk's software with the innovation. Unfortunately a good idea but nothing is compatible. Right now Android's Outlook and contact sync is a total mess, unfortunately.
    If you look on the right hand side of this forum there is a small ad about syncing Outlook and Droid. I think it's about 30.00 but I hear it works real well.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  9. Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    Using a Motorola Droid, just purchased, I imported contacts using CompanionLink. All was good initially. Now I cannot delete some contacts. I tried the menu key and "delete contact" and that didn't work.
    Indeed we found this just a few days ago.

Some in my team indicated that if you EDIT the contact, save it, then delete will work. I see you may have tried it, and this isn't always the case.

I'm guessing this is a data artifact from the initial push of Contacts using CompanionLink USB Sync. We know there are a lot of flags and the information is stored in a very quirky format internally. Maybe a flag of some type is not set right. We'll have a fix for this in our next release.

I'm expecting our next release shortly, perhaps Wednesday Feb 24, 2010. The delete Contact Record issue will be fixed with this update.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto
    Thanks Wayland - I was about to send you an email with all the items I've uncovered. I didn't purchase it yet and am doing evaluation (since it's $50 and somewhat stings us Motorola Droid users watching the HTC people!) I also probably need more sync options.

I love what you're trying to do but Android is probably not making things easier. I don't want to discourage anyone from using your great product, probably the best on the market right now. It's just a very rocky road trying to figure out what the repercussions are from using your very well thought out improvements. Not everything is cooperating.

I'll be in touch and thanks for your update here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links