DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMS truncated at 160 chars to non VZW users

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

SMS truncated at 160 chars to non VZW users

The Droid doesn't have any issues letting me send an sms message that is over 160 characters. Unfortunately, if the sms is to a non Verizon user, an automated text comes back saying that the message will be truncated at 160 characters and the rest is lost.

So my question is:

Is there a way to fix or get past this? It's incredibly frustrating/annoying to send a message then have to go back and resend part of it.

Shouldn't the phone know or be able to split the message in pieces in order to send it?

Thoughts?

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by zer0signalff View Post
    The Droid doesn't have any issues letting me send an sms message that is over 160 characters. Unfortunately, if the sms is to a non Verizon user, an automated text comes back saying that the message will be truncated at 160 characters and the rest is lost.

So my question is:

Is there a way to fix or get past this? It's incredibly frustrating/annoying to send a message then have to go back and resend part of it.

Shouldn't the phone know or be able to split the message in pieces in order to send it?

Thoughts?
    Good question....I noticed the same behavior on my old ENV; I had a friend who is not VZN who would text me and their carrier would behave the way you'd hope -- if it was > 160 characters, it would split it and you'd get multiple parts. I wondered why mine wouldn't do the same.

That said, I don't know what your texting plan is like, but I'm using GV SMS for non VZN folks and the unlimited m2m for VZN ppl. I've had it confirmed that SMS through GV will, in fact, split up the message.

Brian
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I've noticed that when I text on my droid, as I near the 160 character mark, a little number is displayed to let me know where I'm at as far as my total characters go. It will let you go over the 160 characters, so you have to keep an eye out for the #'s.

edit. It actually does a little count down when you get to the final 10 characters. At least that's what my phone does.
    Last edited by T0DD; 11-12-2009 at 10:43 PM.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    i dont get why this is an issue. i paid for unlimited text to any one so why the hell they cant get a whole text? maddness hell my G1 and t mo did this for cheaper
  6. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Verizon's fault, not the phone's. Extremely lame especially for the people who pay to have unlimited text.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    LG Voyager
    Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    Verizon's fault, not the phone's. Extremely lame especially for the people who pay to have unlimited text.
    Actually its not verizons fault. I most carriers are like that but I could. Be wrong, sms are for small messages and mms could be up to a 1000 characters
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    According to the Android Developers Reference, a large sms is sent using a function that splits the message into segments if it's larger than 160 chars. Unfortunately, this function isn't supported in the context being discussed. However, if the function is substituted with the standard sms send function, it's possible to loop through the message parts and send them as individual messages.

I am by no means an Android Developer but I threw together an app based on this idea and some code I found online. I was able to send a large message and have it split up automatically into segments.

Any Android devs out there? If so, any interest in integrating this concept into an sms replacement app?
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Contact the Handcent sms developers, I'd love to have this and I'm sure others would also.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Looks like someone beat me to it
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    When I send long messages to my friend's iPhone, I get a message that "message has been converted to mms. Chargers will apply"...I have unlimited text and mms, so I will see at the end of the billing cycle. He gets the message as an mms...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links