DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Kindle charger for Droid Razr M

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr M

Kindle charger for Droid Razr M

Hi folks. Anyone know if it's safe to use a Kindle charger for my Droid Razr M? The charger that shipped with the phone doesn't work (it did at first, i.e. a few hours ago). I had same problem with my last Verizon charger for my Driod X - wouldn't charge, but the Kindle charger worked fine. Thanks!
  2. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1042 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Check to see the voltages and see if they're the same. This can usually be found at the base of the charger on both of'em. The worst thing it can do is shorten the lifespan of your battery, at least to my knowledge (where you at FoxKat!)
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr M
    Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    Check to see the voltages and see if they're the same. This can usually be found at the base of the charger on both of'em. The worst thing it can do is shorten the lifespan of your battery, at least to my knowledge (where you at FoxKat!)

Thanks! Can't read it and can't find a magnifying glass at the moment. I found this online - how does it look - safe?:

"5.1V & 850mA (Droid charger) The Kindle plug adapter outputs 4.9V & 850mA"

4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member

Re: Kindle charger for Droid Razr M

Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    Right here!

If the plug for the Kindle is a micro-USB (has the USB logo on it), it will almost certainly be the right voltage as all micro-USB adapters must conform to the USB standard. As for the current, if it's less than or equal to what the Motorola stock charger is, you're going to be fine. You may suffer some touch screen interference while using it during charging due to the power not being properly filtered for 60hz ripple and RF interference.

If the current is higher than the stock charger, then as dezymond said, it will shorten the battery life over time. Using it every so often when the stock charger is not convenient won't have a measurable impact on its life. Charging at a rate faster than the stock charger will boost the battery to a near full state quicker, but will take about the same time overall to complete the charge to 100%, so using it to give a quick replenish is fine but don't think using it will result in a faster charge overall.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr M
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    Right here!

If the plug for the Kindle is a micro-USB (has the USB logo on it), it will almost certainly be the right voltage as all micro-USB adapters must conform to the USB standard. As for the current, if it's less than or equal to what the Motorola stock charger is, you're going to be fine. You may suffer some touch screen interference while using it during charging due to the power not being properly filtered for 60hz ripple and RF interference.

If the current is higher than the stock charger, then as dezymond said, it will shorten the battery life over time. Using it every so often when the stock charger is not convenient won't have a measurable impact on its life. Charging at a rate faster than the stock charger will boost the battery to a near full state quicker, but will take about the same time overall to complete the charge to 100%, so using it to give a quick replenish is fine but don't think using it will result in a faster charge overall.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Thank you!

Links