DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Droid Razr MAXX ICS Battery Drain -KEEP AWAKE/MEDIA APP

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Razr MAXX ICS

Droid Razr MAXX ICS Battery Drain -KEEP AWAKE/MEDIA APP

I have read hundreds of threads in several forums pretty much for the last four days. Ever since I upgraded from the Razr to the Razr MAXX ICS, I’ve had nothing but trouble with the battery drain and the phone gets extremely HOT. The Razr Maxx ICS has worse battery drain than the Razr. From what I’ve read in tons of threads, there is a bug that keeps the Media App running in the background which causes the CPU to “Keep Awake”. It’s like you’re watching a movie all day long. According to most threads, everyone is waiting for an update from Google to fix these issues. There are lots and lots of people who are having the EXACT same issues and some have ideas or “fixes” but no one seems to have a REAL fix! Here are a few I’ve tried:

1. Wipe cache partition 3X in a row.
    2. Factory Reset 3X in a row.
    3. Don’t use the Power Off button for screen timeout. Let it go off automatically.
    4. Open the camera and use the back button to go back to the main menu to turn off camera sensor.
    5. After charging all night, turn on phone and open up any app before you unplug.
    6. Install GSam Battery Monitor from the market and disable Media. (This one works so far)

None of these worked for me but some claim it works for them. I installed GSam about 2 hours ago and disabled the Media App. I'm hoping this will give me temporary fix until Google comes out with a permanent solution.

My question is…
    Does anyone know of something else to fix this bug???

Thanks!
    Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Droid Razr MAXX ICS Battery Drain -KEEP AWAKE/MEDIA APP-screenshot.jpg  
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1421 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    Usually holding volume down and power and letting the device reboot will do the trick to stop runaway apps. You must be on 211. Some of us have switched to 215 and had better results.. but other than that, FDR's usually always fix it.

Is it possible that you have an app that's keeping the media app running?
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    I second 94lt1’s opinion. .211 has been problematic for many and the .215 leak has been virtually problem-free. I suggest you visit http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...classroom.html thread and read through the process for upgrading, then when you're ready to take the plunge post a note to the thread and let the members know so you will have sort if things go wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by FoxKat; 09-06-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    94lt1 likes this.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Razr MAXX ICS

Installing .215 Leak

Quote Originally Posted by 94lt1 View Post
    Usually holding volume down and power and letting the device reboot will do the trick to stop runaway apps. You must be on 211. Some of us have switched to 215 and had better results.. but other than that, FDR's usually always fix it.

Is it possible that you have an app that's keeping the media app running?
    94lt1,
    Yes, I've tried holding the power and Volume down. I've done several FDR's as well as Wipe Cache. As far as runaway apps, there are just a couple of apps I installed and I barely even use them. ie.. Facebook, Astro.... I just installed .215 and will see if it helps.

Thank you FoxKat for posting "MattyP's .215 Leak Classroom thread"

I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Frank
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1421 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    You may also try booting into safe mode to see if the problem persists... to do this.. power off, power on and as soon as you see the M screen.. press and hold volume-/+ . Keep them held down..

Your device will continue to boot up, and will vibrate a short and long vibration and then say safe mode on the bottom left hand side of the screen.

Use it like this for a while... see if the problem persists.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid razr maxx

Upgraded to 215 and still have media/ heat problem

I recently updated to 215 and it did NOT fix my problem. My husband has a razr Maxx with ICS but does not have a problem. I am on my 3rd phone because of the problem. It gets soooooo hot and the media apps drains the battery to nothing in a matter of hours. Anyone come up with a fix yet?
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1421 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    Did you try doing a couple of FDR's back to back? It helped some people.. others, not so much.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Razr MAXX ICS

Fix

Quote Originally Posted by missjaye View Post
    I recently updated to 215 and it did NOT fix my problem. My husband has a razr Maxx with ICS but does not have a problem. I am on my 3rd phone because of the problem. It gets soooooo hot and the media apps drains the battery to nothing in a matter of hours. Anyone come up with a fix yet?
    missjaye,
    After posting my problem then installing GSam Battery Monitor my battery literally lasts me from when I wake to when I go to bed with 20% left. (6AM-11PM) The Media App was sucking all my battery and GSam allowed me to disable it permanently. Before, I tried everything. I went back to Verizon twice and both times they gave me another phone. I also tried everything else; Factory Data Resets, Wiping Caches, upgrading to 215. NOTHING worked! I was seriously considering going back to my DroidX. I know that ICS still has a problem but this app solved it so far. Hope this helps!

Frank
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid razr maxx

still no luck :(

Hi All,

I downloaded and install GSam and tried to stop the media app. It says it's disabled, but still shows up as running and appears to still be draining my phone fast! My phone is HOT.

I am soooo frustrated. This is my 3rd Razr Maxx since the ICS upgrade
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Razr Maxx
    I too noticed increased battery drain when upgraded to ICS. I found that if I return to home, then hold down the home button all my open apps come up. (This is a good was to switch between open apps by the way, without going to home. But if you want to see them ALL including the one you left, go home first.) Then swipe all open apps off the screen so nothing is running. I can now go over 24 hours without a charge, depending on usage. Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links