DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Droid Razr MAXX ICS Battery Drain -KEEP AWAKE/MEDIA APP

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    Droid 1

Re: Droid Razr MAXX ICS Battery Drain -KEEP AWAKE/MEDIA APP

Quote Originally Posted by franky4fingers View Post
    I have read hundreds of threads in several forums pretty much for the last four days. Ever since I upgraded from the Razr to the Razr MAXX ICS, I’ve had nothing but trouble with the battery drain and the phone gets extremely HOT. The Razr Maxx ICS has worse battery drain than the Razr. From what I’ve read in tons of threads, there is a bug that keeps the Media App running in the background which causes the CPU to “Keep Awake”. It’s like you’re watching a movie all day long. According to most threads, everyone is waiting for an update from Google to fix these issues. There are lots and lots of people who are having the EXACT same issues and some have ideas or “fixes” but no one seems to have a REAL fix! Here are a few I’ve tried:

1.Wipe cache partition 3X in a row.
    2.Factory Reset 3X in a row.
    3.Don’t use the Power Off button for screen timeout. Let it go off automatically.
    4.Open the camera and use the back button to go back to the main menu to turn off camera sensor.
    5.After charging all night, turn on phone and open up any app before you unplug.
    6.Install GSam Battery Monitor from the market and disable Media. (This one works so far)

None of these worked for me but some claim it works for them. I installed GSam about 2 hours ago and disabled the Media App. I'm hoping this will give me temporary fix until Google comes out with a permanent solution.

My question is…
    Does anyone know of something else to fix this bug???

Thanks!
    Frank
    In item 3 you say to allow the screen to time out instead of pressing power button, I've read this before but I don't understand how it could help.
    The screen is the biggest user of battery, it seems letting it stay on would only use more power.
    Can someone please explain?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Razr MAXX ICS

MissJaye- Force Stop MEDIA APP every morning

Quote Originally Posted by missjaye View Post
    Hi All,

I downloaded and install GSam and tried to stop the media app. It says it's disabled, but still shows up as running and appears to still be draining my phone fast! My phone is HOT.

I am soooo frustrated. This is my 3rd Razr Maxx since the ICS upgrade

MissJaye,

I know it's frustrating because sometimes during the day, I notice that by mid-morning I'm at 40% battery life. I immediately know who the culprit is! MEDIA APP! I open GSam and sure enough, it's enabled. I have to force stop it and it will stop it. I think I have figured out why it automatically enables itself. Maybe one of the gurus here can comment if I'm right or wrong. Sometimes at night before bedtime, I turn my phone off to charge overnight. When I turn it on in the AM, MEDIA APP must turn itself back on. So now, I am conscious to open GSam and disable and force stop MEDIA APP. Just to see the difference with MEDIA APP not running. I took a screenshot the other day to compare what a difference it makes.

Hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Droid Razr MAXX ICS Battery Drain -KEEP AWAKE/MEDIA APP-screenshot_2012-09-30-17-48-59.png  
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Razr MAXX ICS

Screen Timeout

Quote Originally Posted by moset View Post
    In item 3 you say to allow the screen to time out instead of pressing power button, I've read this before but I don't understand how it could help.
    The screen is the biggest user of battery, it seems letting it stay on would only use more power.
    Can someone please explain?

Moset,
    If you set your phone down, your phone's screen will automatically timeout by itself.(The same as if you press the power button) There's a known glitch with some ICS phones that if you press the power button, it actually keeps the phone "awake".

You posted "it seems letting it stay on would only use more power" Your phone doesn't "stay on" . It eventually will "turn off" depending on what you have your sleep set to.

Go to SETTINGS/DISPLAY/SLEEP change to 15 seconds or 30 seconds.

Hope this helps.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    Droid 1

Re: Droid Razr MAXX ICS Battery Drain -KEEP AWAKE/MEDIA APP

Quote Originally Posted by franky4fingers View Post
    Moset,
    If you set your phone down, your phone's screen will automatically timeout by itself.(The same as if you press the power button) There's a known glitch with some ICS phones that if you press the power button, it actually keeps the phone "awake".

You posted "it seems letting it stay on would only use more power" Your phone doesn't "stay on" . It eventually will "turn off" depending on what you have your sleep set to.

Go to SETTINGS/DISPLAY/SLEEP change to 15 seconds or 30 seconds.

Hope this helps.
    I see. According to GSam my held awake time is less than 1% consistently. If i look at the stock battery graph awake time tracks screen on time almost exactly.
    This was not the case prior to wiping system cache in stock recovery. Something was misbehaving and causing keep awake to be very high even with screen off.
    Therefore I do not see allowing my screen to time out as helpful to me. I can understand the issue, but I guess I'm lucky not to have that one.
    I get about 12 hours out of my Maxx with almost 6 hours of screen on time. That seems to be a little better than with GB.
    The screen uses a little more battery per time on, but the system uses considerable less.
    All phones are a little different as is usage by different people.
    The logic just didn't add up until you add the keep awake to the mix.

5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Here's my experience posted over in matty's .215 thread.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ml#post2327273
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Razr Maxx

reply to ics battery with RAZR maxx

Hi all. Was having severe problems with battery after ics also. Recently got rid of Speedtest app and disabled the following: Mog music, Motoactiv, and Videosurf. All other stock apps are enabled. I don't have Facebook enabled and made sure any other memory background hogs are off. My stock email app was giving me serious problems so i downloaded the hotmail app and that syncs every 15 minutes. Here are my results. Note i did have wifi on most of time. Tonight i work in an area that has spotty 4g but I'll leave global 4g on and see what i get. Also have .211 running. Didn't talk much and didn't see Media app running.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Droid Razr MAXX ICS Battery Drain -KEEP AWAKE/MEDIA APP-screenshot_2012-11-20-13-44-27.png   Droid Razr MAXX ICS Battery Drain -KEEP AWAKE/MEDIA APP-screenshot_2012-11-20-11-40-41.png   Droid Razr MAXX ICS Battery Drain -KEEP AWAKE/MEDIA APP-screenshot_2012-11-20-13-44-19.png   Droid Razr MAXX ICS Battery Drain -KEEP AWAKE/MEDIA APP-screenshot_2012-11-20-13-45-36.png   Droid Razr MAXX ICS Battery Drain -KEEP AWAKE/MEDIA APP-screenshot_2012-11-20-13-44-43.png  

7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    RAZR XT910
    anyone try disable the google's location service in setting ??
    this works for me =D !!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links