DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Text Messages Gone

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    One of those places where we have a lot of sweet tea.
    Phone
    droid 4
    Installed a Verizon recommended task killer, unloaded newly installed applications, dropped all unused apps., and updated software twice. Toes and fingers are continuously crossed and phone conversations can happen.......yea.
    Some days...you cannot run the show...just go with it. Why? The word mutiny. Because? My mutiny wins when I have had my fill. Today I am likely just going with it....
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid1
    I've read a few threads on this actually so I might be able to lend you a hand. First off, what text app are you using, the stock one I'm assuming?
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 4
    Stock msgr and thats only because when I surf market I am unable to find the raved about handcent. So until I can sit still and understand why I cannot find it...I have tried...I just have not raised my hand and asked the stupid question...."um....why can't I find this when I search for it?" For that, no time to kill admission.... I am stock. p.s. thank you for trying to help.....
    Some days...you cannot run the show...just go with it. Why? The word mutiny. Because? My mutiny wins when I have had my fill. Today I am likely just going with it....
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid1
    Ah.... Now I've got a handle on you. Ditch the stock app

This problem is more common than it should be with it. Even though I've seen it occur with handcent, I think you'll find that app enumerably better than the stock version. As a matter of fact, I completely removed the stock messenger app...but we're not going to get into that here.

Let me walk you through finding it in the market. I'm going to assume that you obviously searched for it by typing in 'handcent' so we'll skip that step for both our sakes.

Are you running a stock phone? What ROM are you using, you can find this by going into your phone's settings, scrolling to the bottom, and touching 'about phone'. Tell me the ROM version, and the Kernel version.

Either way, go into your phone's setting, then into your applications. If your running Froyo touch all at the top, if your running 2.1 touch the menu softkey, and set the filter to show all. Scroll down until you see the market, touch that. Then clear data, clear cache (if thats available), force close.

Power off your phone.
    Pull the battery out.
    Count to 5.
    Put the battery back in and power it back up. Wait for it to load, go the market, and try searching for handcent again.
    If it still doesn't show up, then try searching other words like "text" or "SMS"

Post back, if this doesn't work, I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 4
    I searched out ROM and Kernel before answering to view a standard answer before I responded to prevent dropping the key piece of information, and to prevent the unnecessary blah, blah to the end of the answer. ROM 2.1 update 1. Kernel 2.6.29.

Yes, I searched as you imagined. No, it does not show up after cache clear, force stop, and battery pull. A SMS! knock off appears. The salespitch signifies its not the desired applicaton, and if it is....it confused me because of the rants.

Since its past time for me to be still for a while......let me say I learned more about the Droid today, Froyo came out three weeks ago? I have not jumped into it so soon because the new has not worn off on it yet and unless the tool made my day more productive...I honestly am unable to be the first to focus on it. No time to give.....unless you caught me sitting still
  6. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    TBOLT / Charge
    Premium Member
    Okay here is my two cents............. First ditch the task killer. I know Verizon says its good and all that yada yada, but in my experience the task killers have created conflicts internally with other apps. Also because a task killer is basically running all the time its killing your battery life. The Droid is set up in a way that a task killer is really not necessary.

Second.... ditch the stock messaging app. Again in my experience the stock app has had a lot of issues. I personally use Handcent but I know that others have used Chomp and love that as well. I do not have any troubles with my text messages dissappearing even after an update. Search the market for replacement text messaging apps, read the comments on each before you take my word for it or anyone elses word. Once you read the comments then you can decide if that is the replacement app for you. Keep in mind that a lot of the comments are psoted by users who are unhappy so they may be a bit slanted.

Hope this helps.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid1
    Yeah, so this is truly an odd problem. I can't think of any explanation as to why you cant find Handcent in the market after taking these steps... o.O

I digress...
    I've talked with other chomp users, and thats a good alternative also IMO.

If your really wanting handcent though, heres another avenue you could take (if your sitting still, lol)

DL the Handcent APK from the internet and install it to your phone that way.

You can find the handcent .apk through google, or you can just follow this link:
    Android Handcent SMS 3.0 | Download Android Application

And the steps that your going to need to take to install it are right here:
    How to Install Non-Market .apk Apps on Android G1 Phone .Apk on g1

Hope I've been some help!
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 4
    The day I went out to figure out an app. I bought and could not was very humbling for me because the designers page turns out was written in Chinese. First dork to self moment I had with my droid.....so I am an over analyzer of applications.

So I am sitting here seeing I am being told my messenger is likely my problem with the wicked odd happenings with my Droid. Can I just say I am weary when a new application is in market Called ummmm bluetooth share and that for someone who never leaves bluetooth on I felt a little invaded when it kept turning on and my battery drained like it did. I near wish I could go in airplane mode LIKE I did when I was in Europe, but the family was seperate this trip and I could not.......and admittedly today was a full day for me at home and I am perplexed while hammering this post out on the droid, task killers going why my screen will not sit still to type this message...more is going on with my droid than time can afford here, but I am game to try anything if this stops......so pardon typos and I always listen to advice.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid1
    Your messenging app is more than likely the cause of your messages disappearing. I didn't know you where having screen problems too?

Feel free to PM me if you need some one on one in depth help, I've got spare time tonight so I'll be lurking around the forums for a while.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 4
    Sorry, missed an opportunity and so very appreciate your offer. I take my Fourth of July serious. My Dad, Vietnam.... two tours, combat wounded, point, trained me right about the price and value of my freedom......we are still smiling today, so we enjoyed our time and day off with family and friends........it was a near droid and text free day....it charged in its cradle all day....Two sinks full of dishes, one airbender movie, and ten baskets of clean clothes to put away.....I will resurface by days end. I will fire up the laptop and shoot the details of this current odd glitch. Went surfing for new msgr app. and am sure I will follow your advice to download handsent.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links