DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brick'd? Now what?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Brick'd? Now what?

I'm curious as to what to do now. My DROID was in my pocket on Friday, in the rain, and got a little bit of water in the battery compartment. I pulled it apart, and let it dry until Monday. The screen works, but will not light up at all. If I catch it at the right angle in good light I can almost function. The haptic buttons do light up, but have started to glow for hours after the phone has died(?!) The phone is doing so currently at 4+ hours posthumous. They only stop when the battery is pulled, but start again once it is replaced.

I've already run it in safe mode to see if that might give me any ideas. Water damage indicator on the battery is positive, but the phone one is negative. Is there a chance my battery is just fried and not sending enough power to the display?

Do I give it a few more days, replace the battery, or go crawling back to VZW with my tail between my legs? I've only had the thing a month
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    if it got wet stick is in a large bowl of rice for a few days.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by brock View Post
    if it got wet stick is in a large bowl of rice for a few days.
    ...and some teriyaki sauce.
    Bionic kicks ss

4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Rice actually works...sometimes. I had people do that to their phones (BlackBerry's submerged in the toilet) when I worked for AT&T and they came back to life.
    DVD Catalyst - Simply the best program around for encoding videos and DVDs to various types of devices.
    www.tools4movies.com

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/JTAC_Droid

HOW TO: Convert Videos for use with Droid:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...tml#post133774

Post questions about the "HOW TO" here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...use-droid.html
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Do you have insurance? If so you can go ahead and do that over the phone, if not you're options aren't so clear. I'm not sure if Verizon or Motorola do an out of warranty repair on Droid, so they might force you to pony up $550 non contract price, which is totally ridiculous because at least Apple gives you a $200 option to swap a broken with refurb.

If it was seriously just rain in your pocket the phone should be able to withstand that.

You might want to call, complain about it, just mention that it was rainy, you tried to protect it as much as you could (I mean we can't carry bags around for it) but some water got in your pocket. You might get denied but keep trying, somewhere down the line you'll get someone willing to work with you.

Best of luck, let us know how it works.

Edit- You might have more luck going to a Verizon store as well, since I feel like in my time of sitting there waiting they tend to work with customers more.
    Last edited by Appleanche; 02-10-2010 at 09:25 AM.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Search is your friend:
    How to Deal with a Droid thats Gotten Wet–THE RIGHT WAY
    That is the best method for dealing with a wet phone. It's a bit time consuming but it actually logical and scientific (unlike the rice bs).
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Wet is wet, if you have insurance, great, it will cost you $90 for the mistake. If you don't have insurance, they will give you 1 year pricing on a new Droid, and will reset your eligibility for your next upgrade. That's the bottom line.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    Search is your friend:
    How to Deal with a Droid thats Gotten Wet–THE RIGHT WAY
    That is the best method for dealing with a wet phone. It's a bit time consuming but it actually logical and scientific (unlike the rice bs).
    actually did search, and read that post. I couldn't find the flower dryer stuff (or enough of those little packets) and I'm not brave enough to swish my phone around in a bowl of alcohol.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Appleanche View Post
    Do you have insurance? If so you can go ahead and do that over the phone, if not you're options aren't so clear. I'm not sure if Verizon or Motorola do an out of warranty repair on Droid, so they might force you to pony up $550 non contract price, which is totally ridiculous because at least Apple gives you a $200 option to swap a broken with refurb.

If it was seriously just rain in your pocket the phone should be able to withstand that.

You might want to call, complain about it, just mention that it was rainy, you tried to protect it as much as you could (I mean we can't carry bags around for it) but some water got in your pocket. You might get denied but keep trying, somewhere down the line you'll get someone willing to work with you.

Best of luck, let us know how it works.

Edit- You might have more luck going to a Verizon store as well, since I feel like in my time of sitting there waiting they tend to work with customers more.
    I do have insurance, at least I'm pretty sure. They asked if I wanted it and I said yes, but in my search for information in the time since it got wet I found out that the deductible and monthly price they told me was for the extended warranty. Im just hoping it was a brain-fart on the agent's part.

It was truly rain in my pocket. Sad sad state of affairs. It hit it just right to go through the speaker into the battery compartment. I'm not going to lie about it, even if its $300 in stake. No way I'm getting caught up in any fraud risks

I'm not the kind of person to raise hell, even when I should. I can hope it goes well. I haven't gone to VZW yet because I don't have the $90 for the deductible. I hate being poor....
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3

Is the water senor tripped/active??

Quote Originally Posted by RayneC View Post
    I do have insurance, at least I'm pretty sure. They asked if I wanted it and I said yes, but in my search for information in the time since it got wet I found out that the deductible and monthly price they told me was for the extended warranty. Im just hoping it was a brain-fart on the agent's part.

It was truly rain in my pocket. Sad sad state of affairs. It hit it just right to go through the speaker into the battery compartment. I'm not going to lie about it, even if its $300 in stake. No way I'm getting caught up in any fraud risks

I'm not the kind of person to raise hell, even when I should. I can hope it goes well. I haven't gone to VZW yet because I don't have the $90 for the deductible. I hate being poor....
    Is the water sensor (seen above and to the left of the battery) tripped/activate?? If it's not you could likely get VZW to replace it as a warranty (i.e. "it just stopped working"). And this is NOT technically fraud because as long as that sensor is not active it's still possible that your incident may just be coincidental with something else that caused the phone to not work. It's at least worth a shot.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links