I found a fix for this today!
I had noticed today, that after using webtop a system process "evbridge" was using 100% of one cpu core. Searching on this, I found this article: Known Issues - Android Development
He provides a fix through console (requires root) but I fixed this just by changing the time/date settings on my phone, as that will automatically rewrite /etc/localtime. What I did was uncheck the box to get time settings from network, then changed the timezone. Then I changed it back. Now webtop works properly and evbridge isn't thrashing my cpus. It does seem though, that I cannot turn on the network time settings or the problem will recur. Still this is a smaller thing to me.