So recently I decided to upgrade to Windows 7 64 Premium from my stock Vista. Why fix what wasn't broke? I really don't know....the disk was just lying around and I had some free time. But it was a horrible mistake (as of now). So every time I tried to mount my Droid, it flat out wouldn't work. It would work on everyone else's computers though (Vistas).
After searching and searching this forum and reading up on all the fixes and workarounds that you guys suggested, I tried assigning it a different drive letter, installing a number of different drivers, installing MotoMediaLink, using USBDeview and uninstalling my device, tried running virtual Vista/XP PC settings, etc, etc, etc. Nothing ever worked for me....ever.
But my brother just recently emailed me this link and it works like a charm. I'm expecting the effect to wear off sooner or later with a couple shutdowns, but it's easy enough to go ahead and do it again, so I'm satisfied.
Get rid of old device drivers hidden in Vista | Microsoft Windows | TechRepublic.com