DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Understanding Battery Life...

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by keiichi25 View Post
    Okay, guys... For this Battery Issue, this is VERY important...

List all your apps on your phone. Don't tell me that 'but they aren't running'. Just list them.

Right now, the common denominator for many people reporting Bad Battery Life:

• Weatherbug
    • Meebo
    • Some sort of IM App
    • Some Beautiful Widgets

Please also take the time to get the battery usage state before you plug it in and list what it says.

Right now, the 2.0.1 update does not seem to be the 'only' reason. Because I have the 2.0.1 update and had the phone running for close to 3 days uptime before a charge. While I have Meebo on my phone, I do not leave it logged in. I do not have Weatherbug, or Beautiful Widgets running, which suggests to me that a lot of you are having 'chatty' apps/widgets that are causing your significant battery drain, more than before.
    I don't have any of those apps on my phone. Never have, probably never will. I don't stream pandora or anything either. I am also on day 3 today of uptime, and still have 70% battery left right now. I took the phone off the charger Friday morning.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I have disabled all my Widgets and have turned off all location and GPS settings and turned off Bluetooth and wifi as well as turned screen brightness too about 25% and backlight to 15 seconds. My battery is still going by way to fast. I am to 80% after about an hour of use. I take off charger at 530am and by 9 or ten im at 50% or less. .. I'm lost.
  3. tty
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    After a full charge, "spare parts" application shows that my battery has voltage 4158mV. A trained battery should have higher voltage. (Based on information from Motorola, the battery should be trained on page 8. http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...cks_EngVZW.pdf)

If you got a bad voltage number (< 4000mV), you may get a bad battery.
  4. tty
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Here are some approximate battery usage we may get for DROID phone for a full charge of the battery. All are assumed to be continuous usage.

The battery should last about 9 hours when screen brightness turns to high in standby mode (Use screen only).

Battery may last 7 hours for phone call or internet data only (continue access without turning screen on).

Battery may last 3hours GPS navigation (Use Screen + GPS satellite + Data + CPU).

Battery may last 40+ hours for playing MP3 from SD card.

Battery may last 4 hours for playing Youtube movie (Use Screen + Data + CPU).

Battery may last 4 -7.5 hours for browsing Internet (Use Screen + Data + CPU).

The order of the amount of battery consumption is: GPS > DATA > Screen > WiFi > CPU.

The above is just my estimation without too much strictly test.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I doubt Weatherbug is the issue. It only updates infrequently. You can set it to update whenever you want.

I would say having too many widgets is a big drain.

I find that talking on the phone of course is a top drain. Following that is usage of the screen. You can't possibly get three days using the screen often.

Quote Originally Posted by captclueless View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keiichi25 View Post
    Okay, guys... For this Battery Issue, this is VERY important...

List all your apps on your phone. Don't tell me that 'but they aren't running'. Just list them.

Right now, the common denominator for many people reporting Bad Battery Life:

• Weatherbug
    • Meebo
    • Some sort of IM App
    • Some Beautiful Widgets

Please also take the time to get the battery usage state before you plug it in and list what it says.

Right now, the 2.0.1 update does not seem to be the 'only' reason. Because I have the 2.0.1 update and had the phone running for close to 3 days uptime before a charge. While I have Meebo on my phone, I do not leave it logged in. I do not have Weatherbug, or Beautiful Widgets running, which suggests to me that a lot of you are having 'chatty' apps/widgets that are causing your significant battery drain, more than before.
    I don't have any of those apps on my phone. Never have, probably never will. I don't stream pandora or anything either. I am also on day 3 today of uptime, and still have 70% battery left right now. I took the phone off the charger Friday morning.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    GPS takes that much? This phone is nearly worthless without having it on - tons of applications use the gps. I think voice and then screen are the biggest drains.

Quote Originally Posted by tty View Post
    Here are some approximate battery usage we may get for DROID phone for a full charge of the battery. All are assumed to be continuous usage.

The battery should last about 9 hours when screen brightness turns to high in standby mode (Use screen only).

Battery may last 7 hours for phone call or internet data only (continue access without turning screen on).

Battery may last 3hours GPS navigation (Use Screen + GPS satellite + Data + CPU).

Battery may last 40+ hours for playing MP3 from SD card.

Battery may last 4 hours for playing Youtube movie (Use Screen + Data + CPU).

Battery may last 4 -7.5 hours for browsing Internet (Use Screen + Data + CPU).

The order of the amount of battery consumption is: GPS > DATA > Screen > WiFi > CPU.

The above is just my estimation without too much strictly test.
  7. tty
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I mean you can use GPS for continuous driving for 3 hours. If you just turn it on without continuous using it, it does not consume lots battery.

The screen used too much power because it is aways on and in use. Data and GPS is not always in use, though they consume more battery.

If you check this video, you can find GPS consume more battery power.

Last edited by tty; 12-13-2009 at 07:56 PM.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    just put the phone on the cradle/charger after a near 14 hrs of use (no game play) and 50% left on the battery. at first it seemed like the update made the battery life worse, now i'm not so sure.

overall, i'm pleased.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    For screen brightness, is it better to use auto adjustment or should I be manually dimming and brightening the screen? In order to save my daily battery.
  10. tty
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Manually dimming tends to save more battery, because it uses less CPU and sensor, and overall brighten is lower.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Links