DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Understanding Battery Life...

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID
    I guess my real concern is this: I am almost always somewhere I can charge a phone at night. During the day, not so much. A phone is a phone first. What if I'm traveling or something? I need to know my phone will work when I pull it out. With my blackberry, I know that's the case as long as I've charged it the night before. If the droid can't offer me similar security, its not for me.

Note I do not use my phone for music and such so that may save some battery comparatively. I also have only a single email account (gmail) so no POP pinging. Generally I will operate with wifi OFF, bluetooth OFF and GPS ON. I have no problem with a short screen dim timeout.

So maybe ill be okay. I will try it and report back!
    Last edited by Azmordean; 11-24-2009 at 09:45 AM.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid A855
    I use my phone for email, web browsing, messaging, and some simple games. I also have a Weather Bug running, use Bluetooth when driving, and have used the Droid's navigation feature. Given all that, I've never pushed the battery below 30%. I'm the kind of person who HATES it when their vehicle is below half a tank, so I'm the same way with my phone battery. I did spoil myself by having the extended battery on my Chocolate, which never got below 50%. I'm certain Motorola will hit the market with a better battery soon, given that battery life is a major point for peeps today. Still...my Droid is the best device of it's type that I have ever owned, bar none.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
    Ok.. So I am planning to pick up a droid this evening. The battery life issue concerns me. I have no problem charging a phone every night but honestly I cannot be bothered with charging a phone mid-day.
    Personally, I use the DROID all the time, on Wifi and 3G, and so far have had zero problems with battery life.

Of course, I have owned smart phones before... I know the agreement. You get a phone that can do anything, but in the process, it does use more power. I had a dumb phone that I charged once a week... this isn't that. The more useful this device becomes, I rekon the more often I'll need to recharge it. Same can be said my laptop computer... I'd be lucky to get 3 hours on a charge.. but it's way more useful than my old dumb phone.

The big win with the DROID (and probably any new smart phone that's not an iPhone) is that, if you do need a charge, that's easy... USB is literally everywhere. I already had TWO USB adapters for my car, I didn't need anything more special than $6.00 or so worth of extra USB cables, just in case (this was before I usually found myself at 25% by 3AM or so)... I bought four cables, you see.

I currently have a BB Tour. I use it heavily. I have Google Talk and AIM running all day during the week (they are blocked at work, so yeah). I use the web a lot. I use the phone occasionally but not all that much.
    It's hard to say, because the situation is very variable. The main power draw is the screen... if you use it all the time, you'll get less mileage than if you don't. Technically, network can be a big draw, if you have a bad signal... Wifi or 3G. But the phone scales on power, so if you have a good signal, it'll last. I have a good signal here, and I'm seeing about 6% of my power going to Wifi, another 4% for cellular standby.

Maybe there are some BB owners here to comment. Compared to my Treo, it's better, doing the same things. Though I didn't have the Wifi option on the Treo.. that's probably saving power at house, at least (boondocks == weaker cellular, more power from the phone to push the signal up to the cell).
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    DROID
    I guess my real concern is this: I am almost always somewhere I can charge a phone at night. During the day, not so much. A phone is a phone first.
    That's a personal usage pattern, not a hard definition. My DROID is specifically and entirely NOT a phone first, it's a replacement for PDA, that happens to have a full-time network and, within that context, a live voice option. Since I got it, I have used it for IM and email EACH 20x more than voice.

If I was really after a phone as the once device I carry, if that was a critical primary function... well, I had this cheap-ass LG flip-phone with extended battery. It lasted me a good week or more without charging. But I have far more use for things other than voice comms.

With that said, the amount of power you're using for voice or network is largely a function of the quality of service you're getting. If the phone has to run at full power, probably somewhere between 1/2W and 1W (most handsets limit it to 1W, the legal limit on cell client power is 3W... your cell tower actually tells the phone what power level to set, based on its RSSI), you'll eat that battery quickly. I totally LOVE the power history function in Android (Settings/About phone/Battery use)... if I know where the power goes, at least I have the option of making use changes.

What if I'm traveling or something? I need to know my phone will work when I pull it out. With my blackberry, I know that's the case as long as I've charged it the night before. If the droid can't offer me similar security, its not for me.
    If you use any phone enough, the battery will run out. That's just as true of the Blackberry as the DROID or the iPhone or my cheap-ass LG yard-sale phone. You didn't necessarily know your BB would last the day... I'll wager you're either just lucky (it always did) or you adapted your use patterns so that it would (eg, I won't play an hour of "Tetris" at lunchtime, I need my phone this afternoon).

I have the DROID at least as good as other smart phones and PDAs I have used, within reason. Sure, I got a week or two of use out of my Palm V, but then again, it was far less useful, not on a network, and only had a monochrome screen.

Try it... it's just dandy for me.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    There is a HUGE problem with some droids. I charge to 100% at night and shut off the phone. True shut down,not "sleep". Battery is at 60-70 % upon startup in the AM. Tried new battery...same results repeatedly. Last night I removed battery after 100% charge. Reinserted it at startup,,,charge was at 100%. Must be some kind of current leakage if it remains in overnight. Major problem for what supposed to be newest and best.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    mOTOROLLA dROID
    Motorolla is sending me a new battery, think they will let me keep the old one too? Hope so

My battery seems inconsisent. Some days it will die in 6 hours without superheavy use (maybe 1 hr web and some texts and 15 mins calls). Other days it seems to last long if i dont use the web much
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid

i never had an issue with my BB Pearl battery!

Quote Originally Posted by hazydave View Post
    I guess my real concern is this: I am almost always somewhere I can charge a phone at night. During the day, not so much. A phone is a phone first.
    That's a personal usage pattern, not a hard definition. My DROID is specifically and entirely NOT a phone first, it's a replacement for PDA, that happens to have a full-time network and, within that context, a live voice option. Since I got it, I have used it for IM and email EACH 20x more than voice.

If I was really after a phone as the once device I carry, if that was a critical primary function... well, I had this cheap-ass LG flip-phone with extended battery. It lasted me a good week or more without charging. But I have far more use for things other than voice comms.

With that said, the amount of power you're using for voice or network is largely a function of the quality of service you're getting. If the phone has to run at full power, probably somewhere between 1/2W and 1W (most handsets limit it to 1W, the legal limit on cell client power is 3W... your cell tower actually tells the phone what power level to set, based on its RSSI), you'll eat that battery quickly. I totally LOVE the power history function in Android (Settings/About phone/Battery use)... if I know where the power goes, at least I have the option of making use changes.

What if I'm traveling or something? I need to know my phone will work when I pull it out. With my blackberry, I know that's the case as long as I've charged it the night before. If the droid can't offer me similar security, its not for me.
    If you use any phone enough, the battery will run out. That's just as true of the Blackberry as the DROID or the iPhone or my cheap-ass LG yard-sale phone. You didn't necessarily know your BB would last the day... I'll wager you're either just lucky (it always did) or you adapted your use patterns so that it would (eg, I won't play an hour of "Tetris" at lunchtime, I need my phone this afternoon).

I have the DROID at least as good as other smart phones and PDAs I have used, within reason. Sure, I got a week or two of use out of my Palm V, but then again, it was far less useful, not on a network, and only had a monochrome screen.

Try it... it's just dandy for me.
    Of course, I didn't have music (let alone music of my choosing), a GPS always at hand, amazing resolution and a screen I could see in daylight, browsing at the speed I get on the Droid, actually the ability to get a signal at home, TV and video, etc, etc, etc. This is a computer in the palm of my hand. The Pearl was a phone the wasn't completely dumb.

I'll eventually buy redundancy, but for now I just keep an eye on the charge and top it up when convenient. I've sat here browsing away for hours at night. Right now it's plugged in, recharging.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    One more thing that I tried today. My two email accounts- gmail and netscape mail, were set at checking every 5 or 10 minutes. I changed it to an hour and I was still at 90% four hours later. I have noticed that if I search a lot the battery tends to drain faster.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I have found that the battery gets drained excessively when automatic brightness is turned on for the display brightness. I found that over 50% of my battery usage was for the display.

I went from auto brightness to havinng it set manually at around 30 -36 % brightness manually battery usage from the display has now dropped to 37-40 % on average.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    very helpful post/thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Links