DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Understanding Battery Life...

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    There are a lot of misconceptions when it comes to batteries and extending their life, and a lot of it is hold overs for the old nicad days. I am not going to sit here and explain it all,but heres a link to a very informative site

Welcome to Battery University

Lithium Ion batteries in today's phones are very durable and dont require the care the old nicads do, if you didnt charge it for 24 hours you will be fine, I am one of those people who are much to impatient for that and I always get full expected battery life or longer (I have a 4 year old razor that lasts nearly as long as it did when it was new, and a 2 year old voyager that still gives excellent battery life)

One major difference I feel I should point out between nicads and lithium batteries( in case most of you dont feel like reading the site) is that while on older nicad batteries it was reccomended, and you really should have, completely drained the battery before charging them because they developed a "memory" and if you did constant partial charges you would recieve less and less battery life because of this "memory". However the exact opposite is true of lithium batteries, it is best to do constant partial charges and to keep the battery above 40% if at all possible as full and complete discharges of lithium ion batteries can actually shorten there life.

Hope that made sense, I been drinking a bit HAH.

P.S. LOVE MY DROID

P.P.S. the site is very useful I suggest you read it if you are a geek like me or want to better understand battery life
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid (v1)
    As Retribution pointed, out Lithium Ion Batteries aren't as crappy as NiCad Batteries. Just cause you used it without doing the initial conditioning charge does not mean the battery is no longer good.

Not only from the site he has linked by where I got the information I quoted, the intent of the conditioning charge is meant more for getting the battery a proper reading of how much of a charge it will have. The three initial cycles just helps get a better gauge overall. The real drawback with Lithium Ion is that you can't really do a full discharge too much with it, in fact, LIons prefer to be recharged before you get to the complete discharge level.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Great post. Loving my Droid.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Short Battery Life

I am sure I must be doing something wrong....but
    Yesterday I went through 2 battery's in only 1/2 day with maybe 40 mins of talk time.
    I ONLY had the bluetooth turned on.
    Is this normal ?
    Thanks
    Richard

ps .how do I kill gps app when I am not using it ?
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid (OG)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stanley View Post
    Yesterday I went through 2 battery's in only 1/2 day with maybe 40 mins of talk time.
    Is this normal ?
    Thanks
    Richard

You definitely have something going on there.

Good luck

Cya
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid (v1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stanley View Post
    Is this normal ?
    Thanks
    Richard

There is an app called Taskiller Free that you can get from the Market, there is also Auto Task Killer as well to tell it to kill apps you know you aren't running.

You might also want to use the Power Management Widget, which is part of the default widgets the Droid comes with. Turn off radios you don't need on like WiFi or GPS unless you need it to conserve battery power. That Widget is nice to turn on and off things quickly, which also includes the Background Sync and turning on the Auto-Dim Brightness so the light sensor will lower the brightness when you are in darker rooms.

Also, are you sure you aren't doing more than talking? The chances are, you may have your E-mail pinging for updates way too much and that will also do a bit of draw on your power.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr v3c
    Quote Originally Posted by keiichi25 View Post
    First off - Out of the Box Battery Life - I am sure many of you remember that the rep and even some manuals say you should 'charge your battery for 24 hours before using'. This is roughly 'conditioning the battery'.
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with the 24-hour general recommendation, and further press Retributions link to How to prolong lithium-based batteries

In the motorsports world there are similar ongoing debates on whether to break-in a new engine according to manufacturer recommendations, or whether a more load-intensive break-in better seals the piston rings.

That said, yes Verizon reps and manuals may recommend a 24-hour initial charge, but are they telling you that because they understand lithium-polymer chemistries, or just because someone told them to say that?

Referencing the above article:
    Li-Ion / Polymer cells are circuit protected and absolutely stop charging once a pre-determined voltage is reached, they also shut down via their host device once a low voltage threshold is reached. There is no trickle/float charge for the type of chargers most consumer electronics use, and the only conditioning is after maybe 30 usage cycles, run the battery down to its shutoff to recalibrate your device's power meter accuracy.

The cliffs notes of the article is:
    1. Charge up your battery, use it, don't try to run it down to zero each time.
    2. Don't worry about partially charging it.
    3. Do run it down to its power-off limit after 30 or so cycles (days, depending on your usage) to re-calibrate your devices power meter.
    4. Its less than optimal to always keep it fully charged - if you are going to leave your device for an extended period, don't leave it on the charger, but optimally at a 40% charge state for best storage.
    5. Cool temperatures, not freezing cold, nor hot like left in a car is best all around.
    This is all just regurgitated from batteryuniversity - what I still am not too clear about is, should I start charging my battery when its at 75%, 50%, 25%, etc - but I think so long as I avoid a total, or deep discharge everytime that should be well enough. Besides, after two or three years just get a new battery (or Droid 2).

New edit - battery university states that most manufacturers specify Li-Ion at an 80% depth-of-charge - so there we go.
    Last edited by sqchram; 12-25-2009 at 10:45 PM.
    Canon 5D II, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 50mm f/1.8 II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS. 2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000, BST Wheels, Brembo 19RCS. Motorola Razr V3c.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    My uncle works for Duracell and apparently, the 24 hour thing isn't 100% necessary but it is best to let the battery die completely or get to about 1% before charging it. Your suppose to charge it from 0% to 100% to get the best results.

Partial charges = BAD
    __________________________________________________ __
    on another note, I think people compare the Droid or any other Smart Phone's battery life to that of their old flip phone from 3 years ago... of coarse that got better battery life.. it had a 1" screen with like 96 colors and you never used it for anything other than txt/calls.

The Droid has average battery life. No complaints.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    After i have had my droid for a week now. to charge it do i need to wait for the battery to drain completely or can i just charge it whenever?
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr v3c
    Quote Originally Posted by Jvandyke13 View Post
    After i have had my droid for a week now. to charge it do i need to wait for the battery to drain completely or can i just charge it whenever?
    Read post #17
    Canon 5D II, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 50mm f/1.8 II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS. 2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000, BST Wheels, Brembo 19RCS. Motorola Razr V3c.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Links