DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Understanding Battery Life...

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    724 971 1372
    Hello, I am a "Newbie", will this affect anything else on the phone? I have an Eris. Can you please tell me how to get to this setting?

Thank You,
    Michael
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Understanding Battery Life

Great Topic buddy, also to add to that WIFI is a major killer as well. I notice when I shut off my wifi and GPS location my phone is a complete power house and it lasts all day. Wifi is a major battery killer no need to have it on if your just chilling with the family or running errands. But great suggestions. ALSO DROID IS THE BEST PHONE IN THE WHOLE WORLD.............UNTIL DROID 2 COMES OUT LOL
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by NickName View Post
    Great Topic buddy, also to add to that WIFI is a major killer as well. I notice when I shut off my wifi and GPS location my phone is a complete power house and it lasts all day. Wifi is a major battery killer no need to have it on if your just chilling with the family or running errands. But great suggestions. ALSO DROID IS THE BEST PHONE IN THE WHOLE WORLD.............UNTIL DROID 2 COMES OUT LOL
    I believe using WIFI will actually conserve more energy as opposed to just running it off 3G.

EDIT: Maybe this is just when browsing, and keeping it off otherwise?
    Last edited by iDroided; 01-07-2010 at 01:03 AM.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Leave em all on. I think anyone who tries to micro manage these settings is wasting time....

The GPS only gets used when an app needs it.

Wi-Fi takes WAY less energy than your phone attempting a constant connection to a far tower.

Bluetooth only activates when you are near your car.

Etc...

I leave them all on.

Quote Originally Posted by iDroided View Post
    I believe using WIFI will actually conserve more energy as opposed to just running it off 3G.

5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SSHGuru View Post
    Leave em all on. I think anyone who tries to micro manage these settings is wasting time....

The GPS only gets used when an app needs it.

Wi-Fi takes WAY less energy than your phone attempting a constant connection to a far tower.

Bluetooth only activates when you are near your car.

Etc...

I leave them all on.

Quote Originally Posted by iDroided View Post

I would add one caveat to this with security in mind...for battery usage this works. But if you are on your company's wifi most likely they are logging usage so if there is anything you don't want them to see where you are going to like careerbuilder, personal email,...yada yada you want to leave your wifi off .

And I am very leary of connecting to any public access points where I don't know the owner of that AP it leaves you open for a man in the middle type attack unless you are using an encrypted tunnel to a proxy.

But then again my wife says that I am just paranoid about these types of things.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    About wifi vs. 3G WHAT TRULY DRAINS BATTERY QUICKER?????? I always wondered that.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by TuBitMittens View Post
    About wifi vs. 3G WHAT TRULY DRAINS BATTERY QUICKER?????? I always wondered that.
    I'll say this...if you have a constant wifi connection then wifi is better for battery life than letting the phone hunt for a 3G signal. However, if you are travelling then you are better off leaving wifi off because the phone will use power to find a wifi signal for you to connect to.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Simple - Whichever is using the phone most.

Complicated - 3G can use more than WIFI even if your wifi is using the phone most if you are in an area where you can't get a signal.

Quote Originally Posted by TuBitMittens View Post
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    cell

Question Same here on the initial 24hr charge

Quote Originally Posted by metsnfins View Post
    if i didnt do that 24 hour charge thing, is my battery shot now?
    our sales person did not tell us that we were to charge the phone fully before using it. we set them up at the store (new droid and eris) and used them (when home) until the batteries died (the same night) , then charged them overnight (a good 16hrs).

the batteries when "new" , taking home from the store were at around 50% btw.

does this mean that we should have our batteries replaced since they didn't inform us to charge them fully immediately?

the batt's seems to last about the same as my work iphone 3gs except that when my Droid gets down to 20%, it drains very quickly.

thanks
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Since you're a newb to the forum I'll be nice and suggest next time please read the prior 12 pages before you ask a question like this.

The answer you would have found about 12 times would be that you cannot hurt a li-ion battery by not charging it, undercharging it, overcharging it, or pooping on it.

Don't worry about it. Your battery is fine. By the way I suggest a dry poop otherwise you may get some electrical problems...
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Links