DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Understanding Battery Life...

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Do I have a defective battery?

I get 45-55 minutes of browsing before one bar(20%) goes off.

I keep every possible setting to save as much battery.
    Wifi off.
    4bars average.
    Screen as dim as possible...
    Etc. Etc.

Please help. Gonna look over some of the response in this thread to see the average..
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I assume you've done a battery pull already. Download Advanced Task Manager and use it to kill all the applications running on your Droid.

If that doesn't help then you most likely have a defective battery.

Download BatteryLife and put it up as a widget - charge it completely and see if it says "good".

Quote Originally Posted by Galindo62 View Post
    Do I have a defective battery?

I get 45-55 minutes of browsing before one bar(20%) goes off.

I keep every possible setting to save as much battery.
    Wifi off.
    4bars average.
    Screen as dim as possible...
    Etc. Etc.

Please help. Gonna look over some of the response in this thread to see the average..
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    [quote=bergdev;68869]
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
    Ok, so I got the Droid, and I really like it. Most days, even with pretty heavy use, the battery lasts through MOST of the day. Wi-fi and GPS off, and brightness kept at minimum of course .

I do think battery life is a weakness though. I am hopeful some 3rd party extended batteries may come out that will relieve the problem somewhat.

I do have one question though. I've heard vibrate sucks battery. That being the case, does haptic feedback have any appreciable effect on battery life? I like the feedback, but if turning it off will net an increase in battery life, it's well worth the sacrifice.
    I did 3 test and turning off the haptic feedback had little to no effect on battery life

Quote Originally Posted by RLJSlick View Post
    Not sure about you guys but my battery life does seem much better, but I'm still testing that theory. Anyone noticed a much longer battery life?
    Yep. Did a couple of tests and definite increase. Before was 35-45 minutes and with update its 45-55 minutes of constant browsing until 20% went down.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Yeah I've done like 3 since I've had the droid just for experimenting reasons.
    And yes I kill apps as soon as I'm done with them. Or every half hour...

Ill try out the widget app.
    Thhanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSHGuru View Post
    I assume you've done a battery pull already. Download Advanced Task Manager and use it to kill all the applications running on your Droid.

If that doesn't help then you most likely have a defective battery.

Download BatteryLife and put it up as a widget - charge it completely and see if it says "good".
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by tty View Post
    After a full charge, "spare parts" application shows that my battery has voltage 4158mV. A trained battery should have higher voltage. (Based on information from Motorola, the battery should be trained on page 8. http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...cks_EngVZW.pdf)

If you got a bad voltage number (< 4000mV), you may get a bad battery.
    I haven't trained my battery but I'm at 4100, usually....
  6. tty
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    After a full charge, "spare parts" application shows that my battery has voltage 4158mV. A trained battery should have higher voltage. (Based on information from Motorola, the battery should be trained on page 8. http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...cks_EngVZW.pdf)

That means your battery is OK. You may try to check where your battery power is going using "spare parts" (under partial wake usage). I believe a full charge can let you browse internet for more than 4 hours.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID

I had no idea you were supposed to train these batteries. The initial word was they no longer need training. I guess it pays to read the documentation on the phone!
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    Quote Originally Posted by SSHGuru View Post
    There is no way to get ANY battery to last that long unless you use a cell phone as a paper weight.
    I wouldn't say that. I have gone eight hours with a few phone calls, say a half hour to an hour surfing and two or three hours on Pandora. When I checked the battery I was still 70-80%.

On the other hand, I can spend just an hour from a full charge surfing at home and use that much. It all depends on what you're doing and how much the phone has to work to accomplish your tasks. I don't know what the issues are at home. I can sit in the LR, and go from 4 bars of 3G to barely no signal, plus everything in between. Is it the phone, is it the network? I've read posts from others on the subject.

The bottom line here is that most people concerned with their batteries don't have a physical problem with their batteries. Read the posts on the iphone forum. The batteries available are not strong enough for the application. At least with the Droid, we can carry a spare, the iphonies don't have that option.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    404-895-2374
    OK, I unplugged my Droid yesterday morning around 7 AM and headed out. It's now 8:25 PM and during that time, I've had my Bluetooth enabled for probably around 8 hours, browsed the web for a few sites, taken and made or received a dozen or so calls, enabled Wi-Fi while at home for about 8 hours, ran Advanced Task Killer to "End All" only about 5 or 6 times (that's another story), changed my wallpaper, browsed pictures, took a few pictures, read some AP news, looked at Facebook, and perhaps other minor activities.

After just over 36 hours my battery is at 30%. During that time, the users are documented as follows:
    34% Display
    23% Phone Idle
    18% Cell Standby
    12% Voice Calls
    05% Android System
    03% Bluetooth
    02% Android OS
    02% Browser
    02% Android Core Apps
    02% Google (what is that, a smart phone tax?)
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I think YOU are the one with the defective battery - how much will you sell it for?

Quote Originally Posted by bergdev View Post
    OK, I unplugged my Droid yesterday morning around 7 AM and headed out. It's now 8:25 PM and during that time, I've had my Bluetooth enabled for probably around 8 hours, browsed the web for a few sites, taken and made or received a dozen or so calls, enabled Wi-Fi while at home for about 8 hours, ran Advanced Task Killer to "End All" only about 5 or 6 times (that's another story), changed my wallpaper, browsed pictures, took a few pictures, read some AP news, looked at Facebook, and perhaps other minor activities.

After just over 36 hours my battery is at 30%. During that time, the users are documented as follows:
    34% Display
    23% Phone Idle
    18% Cell Standby
    12% Voice Calls
    05% Android System
    03% Bluetooth
    02% Android OS
    02% Browser
    02% Android Core Apps
    02% Google (what is that, a smart phone tax?)
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Links