DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Browser eating battery

  1. Junior Droid
    joef78's Avatar
    Member #
    9389
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #1

    Browser eating battery

    A friend of mine came to me last night asking why his GPS icon is always showing in his status bar because it's been killing his battery. I took a look at his battery usage and it was actually his browser that had been killing his battery (76%). I took a look at my battery usage and the browser didn't even show up. My GPS icon only appears when navigating through MAPS or initially starting the browser. And I have a weather app constantly running....never see the battery issues that he is seeing.

    What would cause his browser to be eating up so much of his battery and why would the GPS icon be regularly appearing in the status bar?

    Thank you
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Premium Member
    hookbill's Avatar
    Member #
    10332
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    19,575
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by joef78 View Post
    A friend of mine came to me last night asking why his GPS icon is always showing in his status bar because it's been killing his battery. I took a look at his battery usage and it was actually his browser that had been killing his battery (76%). I took a look at my battery usage and the browser didn't even show up. My GPS icon only appears when navigating through MAPS or initially starting the browser. And I have a weather app constantly running....never see the battery issues that he is seeing.

    What would cause his browser to be eating up so much of his battery and why would the GPS icon be regularly appearing in the status bar?

    Thank you
    I'll bet he's got an app thats using that browser constantly. Don't have a clue as to what it is.

    First thing I would try is simply kill the browser (you don't need an app killer to do this). If that didn't work and it continued then a factory reset may be in order to figure out what app he has that's constantly using the browser.

    Definitely something strange going on there.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Junior Droid
    joef78's Avatar
    Member #
    9389
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #3
    Thanks for the quick response hookbill. How does one go about killing the browser w/o a task killer? I've looked around on my droid and haven't found anything.

    Thank you
  5. Master Droid
    jimnutt's Avatar
    Member #
    20685
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Morrisville, NY
    Posts
    300
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #4
    From the home screen: Settings|Applications|Manage applications
    You may have to hit the menu button and select "Filter|All" to show the browser.
    Select the browser, then "Force Stop" to kill it.
    This works for all applications, a separate task killer isn't needed.
  6. Junior Droid
    joef78's Avatar
    Member #
    9389
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #5
    Ahh....fantastic! Thanks for the help. The filter was why I wasn't seeing it. Hopefully this will help him out. He's been getting a little cranky about the whole battery usage.
  7. Droid
    krazykarl's Avatar
    Member #
    8858
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    58
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #6
    My wife and I have both experienced this (though I'm not entirely sure that it's gps usage that kills the battery, it might be data usage as well)

    It only happens if I open the browser myself and don't kill it with taskiller when I'm done, so I'm reasonably sure that it's a flaw in the browser itself, not some app that is constantly calling it, since I've never seen the browser show up in taskiller without me opening it. It's very annoying though, and about the only reason I actually have taskiller still.
  8. Master Droid
    myriad46's Avatar
    Member #
    8076
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Upstate, NY
    Posts
    473
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X2
    #7
    It's the location feature. I have my homepage as Google. It wants to find my location. So, when I return to the home screen before exiting the browser, if I back out before it acquires a location, it will just keep searching. The GPS icon stays there flashing until I force close, or go back in and wait for it to acquire a signal.

    Some applications use information from stock apps. Ever wonder why your alarm clock is always running, even though you don't use it? If another program wants to know your location, such as a weather app, it could be using your browser's location feature to find you.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    AOKP Rom - current build
  9. Droid Ninja
    LifeIsABeach's Avatar
    Member #
    359
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,290
    Liked
    2 times
    #8
    I agree with myriad46. We had a similar discussion and came to the same conclusion.

    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...y-dolphin.html
  10. Junior Droid
    joef78's Avatar
    Member #
    9389
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by myriad46 View Post
    It's the location feature. I have my homepage as Google. It wants to find my location. So, when I return to the home screen before exiting the browser, if I back out before it acquires a location, it will just keep searching. The GPS icon stays there flashing until I force close, or go back in and wait for it to acquire a signal.

    Some applications use information from stock apps. Ever wonder why your alarm clock is always running, even though you don't use it? If another program wants to know your location, such as a weather app, it could be using your browser's location feature to find you.
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsABeach View Post
    I agree with myriad46. We had a similar discussion and came to the same conclusion.

    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...y-dolphin.html
    This is what I had originally thought. I added the Power Control Widget to his home screen and had him turn the GPS off. His battery usage of the browser since has dropped considerably. It was 76% last night, was about 7% an hour or so ago and he just informed me that it was down to 4%.

    That leads me to agree with these two posts. Perhaps a different home page is in order or disabling location. Probably not the best solutions as this is not happening on my Droid.
  11. Senior Droid
    bigthinker's Avatar
    Member #
    9414
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    212
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2.0
    #10
    I have the Advanced Task Manager and whenever I don't want or need any of the apps running, I use it.....Probably 7 to 10 times a day and it saves my battery Big Time!!!

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Extended battery or cheap replacement battery
    By nka in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 01:29 AM
  2. Browser Lag Fix
    By beer4meyayy in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 07:07 AM
  3. how to charge a phone w/battery and an extra battery??
    By remted in forum Android Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 08:22 AM
  4. Best battery management app or battery status app?
    By mrdorunjr in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 07:44 PM
  5. Browser
    By birdieboy in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 07:49 AM

Search tags for this page

android browser eating battery
,
android browser eats a lot of battery
,
android browser eats battery
,
android browser eats the battery
,
android browser killing battery
,

android browsers eating battery

,
browser eating battery android
,
dolphin broswer eats up my battery
,

dolphin browser eats battery

,
droid razr wants to know your location
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+