DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moto Droid/Android.....Are We Beta Testers?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Droid Charge

Unhappy Moto Droid/Android.....Are We Beta Testers?

I've had my Moto Droid since November and it has worked ok but had numerous quirks requiring power off resets or the occasional battery pull to get an app or two working again. Just this week my browsers (both Dolphin and OEM browser) no longer work. A reboot doesn't help. I've had problems with the mp3 player, Pandora, and Droid Live that would require me to restart the phone in order for them to initially play but die after I opened another app.

I feel like Moto and Google have been using me as a beta tester for their service, but worse because I'm having to pay for this service! At least with a software beta in most cases, it FREE! I'm taking the phone back to Verizon and asking for a replacement Moto Droid. If the replacement continues to work the same way, then my days with Android may be limited. Don't get me wrong I like the phone and it's potential, but right now it's not what I think I should be shelling out the $$$ for. I've patiently awaited this reported Jan bug fix, but nothing and not sure when we will see 2.1 without rooting the phone and having to fix it (possibly) myself. Should I really be the one having to do this?? Shouldn't Moto/Verizon do this for it's customers??

Anyway, I sit here a semi-functioning phone with loads of potential but can't even browse the web or play a song on it.

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlandon View Post
    Anyway, I sit here a semi-functioning phone with loads of potential but can't even browse the web or play a song on it.
    Mine did that OOTB.... What have you done with yours?
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    install app list and then post a full list of your installed apps here most driod problems like your having come from bad apps from the market (remember you could put almost anything there which has its advantages and disadvantages). maybe one of the members here has had the same experience and you can narrow it down to one of them and get fixed up. i have less problems with my droid than i did with my samsung omnia for sure
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2.0
    Some apps are certainly bad news.....Just be careful what you load onto the device. I just downloaded Chomp SMS to the Droid hearing great reviews....NOW 2000+ contacts have dissappeared.....Nowhere to be found. Removed APP and will NEVER load that one again....
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    In a word, yes.

But that's how it works with 1st generation hardware and some software, especially when it's trying to do something new. Personally, I expected it and while some stuff can be annoying, I just figure no pain, no gain.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Droid a la floyd
    I also feel we are beta testers. But for whom? Motorola? Verizon? Google? There is no single point of contact to get support or report bugs. And rah rah cheerleading sites like this are not particulary useful. The fragmentation of the Android platforrm is becoming increasingly worrisome, especially after google came out with a clearly superior phone with the N1.

We are geting sodomized, by all three companies, as usual.

There is no way to diagnose problems on this phone without knowing what has been installed. No app for that? What a surprise.

I think Aplle, as much as I despise them, may be the way to go.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    I don't have those problems. The only times Ive ever did a battery pull was because it was running kinda slow and thought I might need to give it a fresh start so to speak. And that's only been maybe 3 or 4 times tops...I think people come from BB or windows mobile being used to having to do these things and then are over doing it with their android phones with battery pulls and things like virus/security apps, whenever android doesn't need it

9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    I also feel we are beta testers. But for whom? Motorola? Verizon? Google? There is no single point of contact to get support or report bugs. And rah rah cheerleading sites like this are not particulary useful. The fragmentation of the Android platforrm is becoming increasingly worrisome, especially after google came out with a clearly superior phone with the N1.

There is no way to diagnose problems on this phone without knowing what has been installed. No app for that? What a surprise.

Hey now, I wouldn't go that far. Apple continues to have its problems too. They want a sterile environment that they can control...hence they have no flash. That's not exactly ideal either. Moreover, they keep pushing products out the door and in a way, that leaves their other products behind. My friend has a 3G iPhone which is slow as molasses because of the firmware update for 3Gs iPhones. We just have to be patient is all.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post

You've got to be kidding...hows this site not useful? I have been able to get my already awesome performing Droid, to perform beyond what I ever thought it was capable of doing, just solely by reading this site! And that is a fact. This is the best piece of technology ive ever owned in my life, and for people like you to put a luxury like the droid down just tells me that you are never satisfied with anything in life and dont appreciate things you have. The only other technology that compares to the droid is the iphone, and that says a lot in itself. That something was even invented that competes with iphone amazes me, and then to know that I own it! Just makes me feel super lucky to have that privilege...
    Last edited by natediddy1120; 01-28-2010 at 11:18 PM.

11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Droid Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rlandon View Post
    Mine did that OOTB.... What have you done with yours?
    No rooting, just normal program installs which for the most part have worked ok. Two weeks ago the sync between the droid and the MyGig car radio quit and had to completely re-pair the two (never had that happen with any my other phones), the mp3 player and streaming audio has not worked properly since day one (took it to local VZ store and they had no answer or clue), now the browsers wont load a page. My call quality is very poor on this phone (it is really a phone, right?) and lastly I have to perform a reset at least daily to get apps to work properly (mail pulls, fb, weather, streaming audio and video).

It's frustrating to know that I'm paying over $100 a month for this (family plan). I'm ready to fire up my Samsung WinMo phone that ran perfectly and streamed live TV/radio with no problems.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links