DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Saving apps to SD card-why cant we

1. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, HTC TB, and D1
    DroidForums.net Developer

Saving apps to SD card-why cant we

Ok so ive been thinking about this for a while but i just think its stupid that we cannot save apps to our 16 GB SD card it sucks we are limited to just 256 MB on a phone that cost $200 i don't know about you but there are a lot of apps that are coming to the market and i don't know if i will have space for them some apps are very large.

this is a real problem that Verizon should look into if the want to even come close to competing with iphone sales

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    Google is supposedly working on allowing this for Android...who knows when this will happen but it will be great when they do!! Thats the thing with iPhone, it can save apps or anything for that matter, to the whole 8, 16, or 32 gigabytes they come with, and we have 16 gb but can only use the 256 mb for apps!! makes no sense!!!

4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Not that it will not be welcome, but the difference is that on average, linux apps are not that large to begin with.

I have not less that 57 apps installed and that doesnt include the ported over 2.1 apps. Plenty of room left and free memory...

If you root, you can save to SD, but not yet run from it.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    yeah i have a ton of apps also and have had a lot more in the past and it has never acted like it was short on memory, everything still ran smooth no matter how many i packed in there!

6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    mOTOROLLA dROID
    ive gotten a memory low error a few times
  7. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, HTC TB, and D1
    DroidForums.net Developer
    I know I haven't yet but there are alot of apps coming to android and we will eventually need more space
  8. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Wow, I feel like I just walked into a Blackberry Storm forum.

This phone is fantastic at managing resources, regardless of whether or not they open up the SD card for apps you should always have plenty of memory. I don't even worry about it anymore.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INSANENEIVIESIS View Post
    Ok so ive been thinking about this for a while but i just think its stupid that we cannot save apps to our 16 GB SD card it sucks we are limited to just 256 MB on a phone that cost $200 i don't know about you but there are a lot of apps that are coming to the market and i don't know if i will have space for them some apps are very large.

this is a real problem that Verizon should look into if the want to even come close to competing with iphone sales
    Unfortunately what you think about it is not 100% true. We cannot put the whole application on the card no. But many of the apps that take up alot of room have start putting some of the program on the SD card, many games have started doing this, they allow for the small program to keep the data files on the SD card, which is the bulk of the program anyways. So yes we cannot save it fully to the SD card at the moment, but some apps are still allowing us to install the data files to the card.

Once they figure out everything they need to for security you will be able to see it on the SD card also.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X2
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by INSANENEIVIESIS View Post

Unfortunately what you think about it is not 100% true. We cannot put the whole application on the card no. But many of the apps that take up alot of room have start putting some of the program on the SD card, many games have started doing this, they allow for the small program to keep the data files on the SD card, which is the bulk of the program anyways. So yes we cannot save it fully to the SD card at the moment, but some apps are still allowing us to install the data files to the card.

Once they figure out everything they need to for security you will be able to see it on the SD card also.
    +1 This is a programmer issue. Some apps already do this.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    AOKP Rom - current build

Links