DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phone won't work unless I go to Speakerphone

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by eggwyt View Post
    Due to the same problem with calls I had to exchange one of our Droids; tried reset, BT, all of them but the mic wouldn't work. The tech support guy tried lots of things but none worked. The new phone has worked flawlessly since the exchange at VZN store. That's the path I should have taken right away, just take it back.
    Egg
    Yeah... im going to go back this coming weekend and see if i can exchange it.. the thing im worried about is that i can't reproduce the problem at will, so not sure if they will believe me... hopefully it's a well enough known problem that they will take my word for it...
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid:HK47
    This happens to me on occasion but only with outgoing calls and I fix it by just turning speaker on and then off again then it works fine.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

I have noticed a pattern with this issue

This happens to me very constantly after using the headphone jack. I normally use Bluetooth stereo headset but to listen to music in my truck I run an aux cable from the headphone jack to the aux port on the truck radio deck.

The phone with not react positively if I just plug the cord (headphones) in while it is playing music it will trip the phone into mute mode. So I plug the headphones in first then start up the phone music player.

Then I noticed when I remove the headphone's I have the problem described in the discussion. Bam cannot talk to anyone on call they can hear me but I can not hear them unless in speaker mode.

I have no clue how to fix this other than restart.

Extremely annoying and is beginning to be very consistent with use of the headphone jack.

Do I return the phone? I question if it will be the same problem with a new one.
    Last edited by Jackattack; 01-22-2010 at 07:21 AM.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackattack View Post
    This happens to me very constantly after using the headphone jack. I normally use Bluetooth stereo headset but to listen to music in my truck I run an aux cable from the headphone jack to the aux port on the truck radio deck.

The phone with not react positively if I just plug the cord (headphones) in while it is playing music it will trip the phone into mute mode. So I plug the headphones in first then start up the phone music player.

Then I noticed when I remove the headphone's I have the problem described in the discussion. Bam cannot talk to anyone on call they can hear me but I can not hear them unless in speaker mode.

I have no clue how to fix this other than restart.

Extremely annoying and is beginning to be very consistent with use of the headphone jack.

Do I return the phone? I question if it will be the same problem with a new one.
    Yup, very annoying indeed. I, for one, am going to take my phone back probably this Sunday when I have some time and talk to them about it... but I'm either going to exchange my phone, or return the thing alltogether... plus, there are awesome new Droid phones coming out... might as well get one of those haha...
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I spent about an hour on the phone with Motorola about this issue they state they are unaware of the problem. There is a level 2 representative from Motorola that is looking into my case and I will post the results. I was very surprised; the Verizon tech said he was well aware of the issue with no solution. I asked if they would replace the phone and I was told NO. I am unfortunately over the 30-day return policy by about 6 days. So I am stuck even if I wanted to have the phone replaced, the tech said a new droid would not fix the problem that all of them seem to have the same symptoms if used the way I described.

What to do now? I guess I could go to the store in person and complain but what will that achieve. The tech already told me they wont replace it.

I told the Motorola rep that it is a hot topic in the droid community and I have heard many complaints, I am hoping to find out more information. At least get to the bottom of whether or not it is a software bug or a mechanical issue with the phone itself.

I am extremely disappointed in the issue because I use the phone a lot for music and multimedia in the truck and in the gym. The reset solution in my opinion is unacceptable.

More of you should contact Motorola on this issue maybe it will push for a solution.

I love the droid but this is terrible. The only solution I have come up with is to use Bluetooth heads set for listening to music and I donít have an answer for the truck.
    I hate FM transmitters; I should be able to use the headphone jackÖ. BAH!!!
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Master Reset, Proposed Solution form Motorola

As promised here is the responds recieved from Motorola.

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I have reviewed your e-mail and I am ready to help.

The next step would be a master reset,Basically, what a master reset does it refreshes your whole phone settings and most likely have that issue resolved.However, you would need to back up all valuable information because the reset wipes all contents in phone.Your contacts and calendar should already be synched with gmail when you log back into your phone with your gmail email address.But, I would advise you to verify within your gmail account on a desktop.As for your applications and ringtones it's possible that you may lose them.After those trouble shooting steps if the issue still remains which I strongly doubt.You can warranty in your phone and give us a call at the number below

Thank you again for contacting Motorola Customer Care. We hope the information provided fulfilled your needs.

Best regards
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible
    I have this issue too, I don't want to do a hard reset.
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
    I purchased my Droid on January 1, 2010, so it is still very new. After 2 weeks of using it, I had an experience where I received a phone call and could hear the person on the other end of the line, but he could not hear me (as if I were muted). However, I found when I pressed the "speaker" button, I could communicate with him normally. When I turned the "speaker" off, it was as if I had muted myself again.

I had no issues with this again until today, when the problem seemed to get worse. My girlfriend called me and I couldn't hear her at all and she couldn't hear me. However, when I pressed the "speaker" on, we could communicate normally. When I turned "speaker" off, we could no longer hear each other. We hung up and I called her back and everything worked fine again.

Anyone else having issues like this? Should I take the phone back to the Verizon store to get it replaced?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitticeps View Post
    Not sure if it relates here but I've seen a couple of threads where this problem occurs after having used the headphone jack. I played with mine a little and couldn't duplicate it. Any chance you were using headphones shortly before the issue each time? Maybe some software glitch not properly diverting audio after headphones are removed?

I had the same problem and i'm pretty sure its the headphone jack. Every time I disconnect my headphones, I make sure that sound will come out of the speaker. If it does, then the phone will work correctly. If you get no audio from the speaker after removing headphones, plug them back in and then back out again. I had the same issue with a macbook pro. The headphone jack sucks on the droid.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Bionic
    Everyone that has this problem please call Motorola or post on the Motorola support board so it gets on their radar.
    --
    I like cats - especially with General Tso's sauce.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I just posted over at Motorola. Had a hard time finding a thread dealing with this issue, it is extremely annoying.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links