DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Two items of concern....

  1. Droid
    jscotti's Avatar
    Member #
    617
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    39
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #1

    Two items of concern....

    First, I love my new Droid and it has many great features. But after 4 days with my beastie, I have two items which I think need some improvement.

    #1: Battery usage. My problem with the battery usage is perhaps mostly my fault, but it is hard to understand what the current rate of battery consumption is and what specifically is draining the battery. For example, last night, I put the unit on the nightstand next to bed after playing some Sudoku for maybe 20 minutes. I had fully charged it before this and it was already reading about 80% charge when I pressed the power button to put it into standby. When I woke up about 7 hours later, I turned the unit on and it read only 20% battery charge! Apparently, my Twitter app (Swift) had been running all night according to the battery usage app. What I would like is to be able to quickly and easily put the unit into a well understood config, say for example: Phone only mode or Phone and e-mail only mode. I'd hate to be far from my charger and discover that my unit had eaten up all the battery charge by accidently being left in the wrong state. I'd also like to learn more about what features in the Droid uses how much charge.

    #2: I'm in a somewhat remote location (ok, at an Observatory on a mountain about 50 miles from town). We have poor cell coverage up here and spotty slow data network coverage. I've been able to get 1X coverage occasionally enough to refresh twitter pages or facebook pages or the occasional webpage or app download. My cell coverage runs anywhere from 0 to 3 bars. However, even with 2 or 3 bars, when I try to make a call, it appears to do little after saying "dialing" until after a short period, it times out and says "call has been lost". It's a bit frustrating to see what appears to be enough bars to make a call, but failure anyway. I'm probably expecting too much to get coverage here, but it seems like the Droid is teasing me with a few bars when it really should say that it has none.

    Anyway, like I said, I really like my Droid, I'd just like to understand these two questions a bit better.

    Jim.
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Junior Droid
    seaman's Avatar
    Member #
    2445
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #2
    I haven't had any issues with my battery, but I can offer some suggestions.

    First, did u let your battery completely die after getting the phone, then charging it to 100%? I've heard that that helps to prolong the battery life. Next, I would recommend that you download a 'task killer' application from the Market. This allows you to close all applications that are running in the background, some of which you probably don't realize are running. I have 'killed' as many as twenty-something applications before. Try to get in the habit of running the task killer anytime that you wont be using your phone for a while. Also, keeping wiring, Bluetooth, and location off help. These can easily be controlled with the Power Control widget. And something that I always do is change my display settings to light the screen for a minimal amount of time, and put the brightness at a lower level.

    Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for you regarding your coverage.

    I hope this helps!
  4. Droid
    jscotti's Avatar
    Member #
    617
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    39
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #3
    Yep, the first day, I ran the battery charge down all the way. The Droid has 2 levels of "empty", the first is a kindly warning at 15% and I ran it past there until it shut itself down. I've had it down to 15% once or twice since then too. I've also installed Advanced Task Killer, and that has helped some, but I'm really searching for a way to control the power consumption a little more.... I've also been running with GPS Bluetooth and wifi off since I don't need them at the moment.

    Thanks.
  5. Master Droid
    medicTHREE's Avatar
    Member #
    516
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    463
    Liked
    1 times
    #4
    Won't help you on data, but if you really are that remote(with digital technology, that is wayyyy remote) then a network extender plugged into your network at work would save your phone coverage. It won't do squat for data though. Verizon sells these devices through their website.

    Make sure you have the latest prl too, *228, option 2.

    Quote Originally Posted by seaman View Post
    I haven't had any issues with my battery, but I can offer some suggestions.

    First, did u let your battery completely die after getting the phone, then charging it to 100%? I've heard that that helps to prolong the battery life. Next, I would recommend that you download a 'task killer' application from the Market. This allows you to close all applications that are running in the background, some of which you probably don't realize are running. I have 'killed' as many as twenty-something applications before. Try to get in the habit of running the task killer anytime that you wont be using your phone for a while. Also, keeping wiring, Bluetooth, and location off help. These can easily be controlled with the Power Control widget. And something that I always do is change my display settings to light the screen for a minimal amount of time, and put the brightness at a lower level.

    Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for you regarding your coverage.

    I hope this helps!
    Full discharge is not necessary with modern batteries. These batteries like to be charged, and charged often. They do not get a memory and are better being topped off frequently.
  6. Super Moderator
    New2u's Avatar
    Member #
    21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Posts
    3,628
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    #5
    One thing I can suggest if you really, after all the testing and making sure things are turned off, really think there is something wrong with your battery, just take it in, or call them up. There are defective batteries out there, it happens, If mine held a charge like what your saying, i would be in the store the next day demanding a new battery.
    Resistance is futile.

    On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  7. Premium Member
    mth04's Avatar
    Member #
    133
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,082
    Liked
    6 times
    Premium Member
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    One thing I can suggest if you really, after all the testing and making sure things are turned off, really think there is something wrong with your battery, just take it in, or call them up. There are defective batteries out there, it happens, If mine held a charge like what your saying, i would be in the store the next day demanding a new battery.

    Agreed hee. I cahrged last night. I turned off WIFi and shut down completely. When I woke up I had 100% charge still. I did bring my harger to work (just in case) but i'm hoping I dont need to use (ala my Storm)
    Sometimes , It is what it is !
  8. Super Moderator
    New2u's Avatar
    Member #
    21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Posts
    3,628
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami1683 View Post
    Agreed hee. I cahrged last night. I turned off WIFi and shut down completely. When I woke up I had 100% charge still. I did bring my harger to work (just in case) but i'm hoping I dont need to use (ala my Storm)
    I just went ahead and bought 2 6-foot USB cables so i can have one at work. and just buy one of those car chargers that has a usb on the end that you can plug into, so then ill have one for everywhere i'm at. But with 6-programs running, 4 email accounts checking email all night, i still had about 85% battery in the morning.
    Resistance is futile.

    On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  9. Droid
    jscotti's Avatar
    Member #
    617
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    39
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #8
    I'm shutting everything off before going to sleep today and I'll see if it holds a charge properly. It was probably just the apps running and I just need to learn what needs closing down to preserve the charge.....
  10. Junior Droid
    khojem's Avatar
    Member #
    43
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    19
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #9
    jscotti, the two might be related. when you have poor signal strength most phones will use up battery searching for a signal. i've spent summers in Canada, near the 'fringe' of Verizon's coverage. my old phones would burnup the battery quickly because they go into a 'search for signal' mode for a few minutes repeatedly. only recourse while there was to turn-off the phone to conserve battery life or recharge constantly.
  11. Premium Member
    mth04's Avatar
    Member #
    133
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,082
    Liked
    6 times
    Premium Member
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami1683 View Post
    Agreed hee. I cahrged last night. I turned off WIFi and shut down completely. When I woke up I had 100% charge still. I did bring my harger to work (just in case) but i'm hoping I dont need to use (ala my Storm)
    I just went ahead and bought 2 6-foot USB cables so i can have one at work. and just buy one of those car chargers that has a usb on the end that you can plug into, so then ill have one for everywhere i'm at. But with 6-programs running, 4 email accounts checking email all night, i still had about 85% battery in the morning.

    Yea i'm gona buy another charger today. I like to use my PC at home for charging.
    Sometimes , It is what it is !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Sent Items folder in Exchange - issue
    By diginet in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 11:57 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 02:42 PM
  3. How do I use the different items on my homescreen?
    By JimMariner in forum Droid FAQ
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 03:09 PM

Search tags for this page

how do i close items on my android?
,

items of concern

,
itmes of concern
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+