DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Locked Out Of Your Droid? Here's How I Fixed Mine

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Exclamation Locked Out Of Your Droid? Here's How I Fixed Mine

So you (or your kids) tried your secret swipe code one too many times and your phone is locked and it will not accept your gmail username and password. Welcome to the club! This has been discussed on this forum before as well as other forums for phones using Android. Most of the solutions I found involved performing a "hard reset" which would have caused some loss of information. I found another solution that worked great without loss of information. Credit given to the folks over at the crackberry forum for posting this. I'm posting it here in hopes that it helps you.
    1) create a new gmail account on the computer.
    2) call your cell phone with a different phone.
    3) answer your cell phone then hit the back button and it will take you to the home
    screen.
    4) turn on wifi so it can do data and voice at the same time (remember that the phone
    is still connected)
    5) go to Settings -> Location & Security and disable lock pattern (you'll need to
    enter to correct pattern previously set)
    6) go to Settings -> Accounts & Sync and click "Add Account" and add your newly
    created Gmail account.
    7) hang up the phone.
    8) turn the phone back on, at the lockout screen, enter your new Gmail account info
    and it should let you back in
    9) once the phone is unlocked, you can go in setting and remove the newly added Gmail
    account and keep the old one.

i am not taking credit for this it was found here Issue 4784 - android - Google credentials don't unlock phone after failing too many pattern attempts - Project Hosting on Google Code

read post #35
    I unlocked my phone with no problem.

NOTE!!... I consider this a security issue. I mean, all I have to do is get the phone number of any Motorola Droid user and perform the above steps to get into his phone. I can cause all types of mischief once in...not to mention steal personal information. Google / Motorola...are you hearing me? Protect your numbers boys!

Good luck.

MM
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    i called my phone answered it, i pushed the back button and it went to the lock screen and then back and forth from lock screen to the call.. im lost!!! the info does not work
    Last edited by Shelbyg; 02-21-2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: detail the post more
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbyg View Post
    i called my phone and it went to the lock screen and then back and forth from lock screen to the call.. im lost!!!
    Make sure you answer the phone when it rings. Once answered, select the soft touch key in the bottom left-hand corner (looping arrow) which is the "back key". You can now navigate through your phone as though it was not locked. Go into your settings and begin following the directions linked in the above thread.

Remember, you're doing this without hanging up on the call.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    i have the HTC droid eris... would it be any different from the droid? I stayed on the call the whole time.. i could only go up to my notifications and check my text messages and missed calls.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    im soo happy. i just kept putting my password and user name in and it worked!!!
  6. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    with regard to locking the phone ... is there an app or does the droid do this natively :

a lock feature that nukes the device if xx amount of tries fail to unlock it ? what i'm looking for is just a clean out of all data and apps. or if there is an app exisiting that could brick the phone ?

i use mobile defense, but not certain of the package as a whole as i have not tested it yet....
    GS4

Links