So I got a Droid 1 when it came out. My mother put me on her plan and used her upgrade to get it for me, I had a Dare at that time. Recently I gave her my upgrade so she could get a Samsung Fascinate. All is well but I realize its about time to upgrade. Its no secret Ive been having problems with my Droid and despite how I like it, Im bordering on sick of it. Some problems?
1) The phone is slow as molasses. I hard reset it, I wiped it over the phone with Verizon way back in Nov and started from scratch, even without apps it was slow.
2) The phone takes forever to load. Say Im txting someone, right? I see Elvis running by, just an example. Anybody would break out a camera. I try to switch to my camera, itll freeze on the home screen thereby trapping me there for maybe 30 seconds to a minute. All this time Im stuck staring at a blank home screen cursing and waiting for my icons to load up. If that isnt bad enough when I try to take the picture it may or may not freeze. It has done that on a few occasions, snap the picture and freeze. So my screen is of a picture and despite hitting the back button nothing happens until it decides it wants to work again. This is one example but it does the same when I try to take down someones phone number. This got old very fast.
3) It began to enjoy freezing up on me. It would act stupid for awhile not taking any commands, then it would go to the screen and look as if I typed a phone number but look at that, no number. Thats when I knew it froze. Only way out of that screen was to reboot. Id battery pull but I have a case that makes that a pain.
4) The battery, this phone drains so fast its just annoying. It also charges up really fast. This is a minor gripe, I can just replace the battery but since I want to get a new phone thats just another problem. Why spend $50 on a battery for a phone that messes up often?
So as I said, I called Verizon, we wiped the phone back in Nov. This was my third wipe. I wanted a new one back then, a Droid R2D2. They said it wouldnt happen. I dont do Refurb. Ive been burned enough by them, Im not going through all that hassle and all of the phones they want to send until they think its okay to send me a new one. If they offered a new Droid 1 I might have considered it. They did not. A Droid 2, probably. They did not. The lady was very nice, however, and gave me her Email if I had any more problems. I knew there would be problems and kept said Email. Why, I dont know because it seemed that for the most part her hands were tied. Here we are now. Im sure its upgrade time and I look at the selection. Two things stick out at me that Im not happy with, Id call these 'the burn'.
1) They got rid of one year plans? What is that? When I got stuck with this two year on the Droid and started having all these problems I said I wouldnt go back to two years and would do one year from here on out. Now Im stuck with two years? Month to month is not an option, I dont have money like that.
2) Once upon a time the Droid 2 Global had terrible reviews. It was Droid 2 or Droid R2D2. Now they are both gone and only the Global remains with, look at that, good reviews. I dont want the Global yet its the only one with a slide out keyboard. Far as I know there arent any Droids with a slide out keyboard coming out anytime soon so Im looking at the iPhone 4.
Why are they 'the burn'? First off I couldnt get the phones I wanted or even a new version of my old phone a few months ago due to problems with not being eligible for an upgrade. Fair enough but now Im eligible and not only are the phones I want gone but they also got rid of the plan I want? I cant say that Im happy to see this. And getting an iPhone 4, I know, I know, Im a sell out. A friend of mine has already called me that but honestly, I dont care. The phone I wanted is no longer for sale, cant even find it on EBay and all of theirs dont have slide out keyboards. The iPhone doesnt either but I know of more than a few games I play on my iTouch thatll make up for this inconvenience. The customizability of the Droid is great, I admit, but when you have problems like you do with my phone, you begin to wonder if its worth it. Im pretty sure iPhone owners phones move way faster than mine, dont freeze up and they dont have near as many problems. I know some may say 'faulty app', cant be. As I said, it did this after it was wiped with no apps on it. And truthfully, Im sick of that whole 'faulty app' thing that could mess up a phone just like that. I doubt iPhone users have that problem. And that friend that called me a sell out? Funny thing, he cant find a Droid he likes either and hes also up for an upgrade. He spoke of just getting a new battery and waiting it out until they put out one worth getting. Im tired of my phone acting up.
I dont know if this is the right forum for this because theres a few things I wanted to say here. Now that everyone knows my story I have some questions.
1) Are there any Droids on the horizon with a slide out keyboard or is that over and done with? I want to know because my plan was to get the iPhone for one year then immediately switch back to Droid once they put out another good one.
2) Is Handcent anywhere near as good on iPhone as it is on Droid? I see the app is there but is it as customizable?
3) I would also use the iPhone as my iPod. Would that drastically affect my battery life? I know it would mess it up but Im hoping that by the fourth generation they figured out some way to have both work out without draining the phone. I dont want to get on a two hour train with a full battery, listen to my iPod and get off with a dead battery or the battery flashing red. Thats just ridiculous.
4) One of the main selling points for me, besides more than a few apps that Droid doesnt have, was that whole video phone thing. Does the Verizon version have that and the forward facing camera as well?
5) Is the camera any good?
6) Is the reception any good? I guess that all depends on where you are.
7) Is this phone a good buy? Why should I NOT get it?
Im sure Ill have more questions later on but thats all I can think of right now. Any opinions?