DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navagation seems off...

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid

Navagation seems off...

My location is never right with the Droid phone. My LG Dare navigation was much better pinpointing my exact location. Droid <Maps> is 99% of the time way off.

BTW...doesn't matter where I am, city or burbs it's always way off.

3. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    do you have the GPS on?

if you're going by 3g then it'll be off and it draws from the closest cell tower.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola A855 Droid
    Yeah, mine's not too hot either. I've got the Ford GPS in my car and it's always good, but the A855 droid is lame. It simply needs work.

If I enter a building I expect it to loose GPS contact, but it should STAY at the point of last contact (and indicate that condition), not start showing other locations miles away.

Have you or anyone found any app out there that shows signal strength and location data for both the GPS and cell network location? Getting a feel for the present signal conditions would definitely be helpful at times.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid v.2.0.1
    That's strange because my Droid is accurate to the point that it actually shows what part of my property I'm standing on. Maybe you just got a dud?
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by Itamar View Post
    That's strange because my Droid is accurate to the point that it actually shows what part of my property I'm standing on. Maybe you just got a dud?
    Same here, mine is dead accurate. Have even compared the coordinates to my WM phone running TomTom and the are identical (okay, maybe a few degrees difference).

Now it VERY WELL may be the maps that's wrong. Ever since Google ended their contract with TelNav (or whoever it was) their maps have SUCKED!!!!!! The have regressed at least two years in my location(s).
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Itamar View Post
    Same here, mine is dead accurate. Have even compared the coordinates to my WM phone running TomTom and the are identical (okay, maybe a few degrees difference).

Now it VERY WELL may be the maps that's wrong. Ever since Google ended their contract with TelNav (or whoever it was) their maps have SUCKED!!!!!! The have regressed at least two years in my location(s).
    Same here, I its accurate to at least 10 ft for me.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I was about to post this same thing. Worked find and was very accurate when I first got it, but now its off more often then not.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    I read up on the GPS.

It seems that if you don't have a clear site to the sky the Droid will go right to the cell tower GPS & we all know that it's not extremely accurate like satellites. I popped my Droid up on the dash today & BAM...dead accurate.

BTW...

Check both settings in your location/settings : USE GPS SATELLITES & USE WIRELESS NETWORKS.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola A855 Droid
    So, should I return this thing, exchange it? It may be that lots of people that have little or no prior experience with GPS are simply still in awe of the whole concept, but I have some moderate expectations. My car's system works fine. It accurately shows my position within a hundred feet max. (OK, maybe 50m). My droid frequently shows me a mile or more off my actual location. I do NOT leave my GPS turned on, and when I turn it on it's miles off, and if I go outdoors, in a clear location, it doesn't correct accurately or within 10 minutes time. Since I bought a phone/PDA, I don't automatically expect a good GPS, but what's the threshold between "what'd ya expect from a phone" and "defective"?
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid v.2.0.1
    It sounds like you have a defective unit. My Droid locks on in under 30 seconds and is regularly accurate to within 20 feet or less. I'm also a GPS veteran (I'm a trucker) having used my laptop with a Delome USB setup for many years. I've found the Droid to be just as accurate if not more so. Get it exchanged.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links