OK, I listen to music through my phone while driving, walking/jogging, at work, and in the gym. Like most, the connection on the phone had become so lose, the "straw fix" was just a temporary fix until it became lose again. It would cut in an out in the car using the AUX jack, and constantly cut in and out with headphones.
First off, this will involve partial disassembly by removing the back of the phone. This is a great walk through: Installing Motorola Droid Motherboard - iFixit
Root Cause(as described by buymagicfish)
This issue is a mechanical one inherent in the design of the phone. The headphone unit sits on a board with copper legs. As time goes on, the legs bend, or otherwise run out of spring and no longer consistently keep a good connection to the board. Its really a design flaw.
The headphone jack is held to the phone using adhesive and the copper legs reach out and touch the connection points to create the connection.
Since these "pressure" contacts create the connection, I figured the best thing to do was increase the pressure.
1. Disassemble the phone and remove the back plate
2. Lift headphone jack off the adhesive holding it to the case
3. Place some kind of material behind the jack(on top of adhesive) and put it back in place
- I folded some electrical tape and cut it to size. You don't need much material, and it took a couple times to get it right
- The jack will not have anything holding it in place until the back plate is back on
4. Put the back plate back on, and screw down the case.
5. THATS IT!!!
Note: It only took about 10mins and I've tested it in both my cars and headphones. I get no static, fading, cutting in and out. Time will tell, but I doubt I will have any issues anymore.