DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unroot Help

1. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Twitter
    @wugfresh
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus (CDMA)
    DroidForums.net Developer
    @BodyBagz
    Thanks for correcting that misleading info.

@OP
    my bad for not checking back and for giving you a short non detailed answer. BodyBagz is correct, if you were to go the route of sbf'ing you would need to hunt down an sbf file specifically for your phone and bootloader version, you would need to download and install RSDlite, and download and install the latest drivers for your phone.

RSDlite_4.8
    RSDlite_4.9

I personally use 4.8 that's why I gave you both.

{{ WugFresh }}
    Unlocking, rooting, relocking and unrooting simplified! (and much more!):
    +Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.0

..:: Follow me on twitter @WugFresh::..
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S - Fascinate
    Quote Originally Posted by BodyBagz
    Nice of you to try and help...but you more than likely just confused the OP even more...

What you meant to say was, "You need RSD Lite in conjunction with a known good SBF file in order to get the phone back to stock using the SBF method."

Also, SBF`ing "back to stock" will surely "lose all his stuff", since a new stock phone wouldnt have any of "his stuff" on it...

You cant download z4root from the market anymore. He needs to do a Google search and go to the first link that pops up...should look a lot like XDA Forums...

Hope ya get fixed OP...

BTW, this forum knows a lot about rooting...what it doesnt obviously know, is how to root with Titanium Back-Up, since thats not what Titanium was designed to do. If I had to guess, and I do, you rooted with an older method and may have forgotten what it was...
    Yeah, I forgot how titanium backup was involved, I do remember it ran an executable though, which did the actual rooting, I remember because I was quite uncomfortable not knowing what it was doing but was too tired to care.

Just downloaded z4root now, I'll give it a shot, let you guys know what happens.

I'm guessing the SBF file is an image of a stock state?

What's the 'main method' people use now-a-days to root? I'm guessing z4root?

I'm not even sure what the root allows for, can't you load any apps you want already via developer mode? Only other thing I can think of is it gives you access to system config files.

Quote Originally Posted by WugFresh
    @BodyBagz
    Thanks for correcting that misleading info.

@OP
    my bad for not checking back and for giving you a short non detailed answer. BodyBagz is correct, if you were to go the route of sbf'ing you would need to hunt down an sbf file specifically for your phone and bootloader version, you would need to download and install RSDlite, and download and install the latest drivers for your phone.

RSDlite_4.8
    RSDlite_4.9

I personally use 4.8 that's why I gave you both.

{{ WugFresh }}
    So the SBF is the image of how it came from VZW, if I get the one for my phone & bootloader it can re-flash using the SBF...question:
    If RSDlite is an app for the phone, that means it's flashing internally, this is typically bad because it's dangerous. Or is there an external flash trick to fix a brick? Luckily BB's were all externally flashed so I never had the pleasure of bricking my old phone O.o.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S - Fascinate
    BTW:
    Is there any quick way to tell if the phone is rooted or not? Like trying to gain access to a particular file or folder? I'm j/w when I can check to determine whether it was unrooted or rooted successfully.

I put z4root 1.3.0 on there, and hit "unroot" - not sure what that did, if it was a different root technique it could have done nothing or screwed things up. Or it could have been the same root technique and it could have worked fine...not sure which.

The phone itself appears to work fine though...not sure if that means anything..
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    d2g
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndacate View Post
    BTW:
    Is there any quick way to tell if the phone is rooted or not? Like trying to gain access to a particular file or folder? I'm j/w when I can check to determine whether it was unrooted or rooted successfully.

I put z4root 1.3.0 on there, and hit "unroot" - not sure what that did, if it was a different root technique it could have done nothing or screwed things up. Or it could have been the same root technique and it could have worked fine...not sure which.

The phone itself appears to work fine though...not sure if that means anything..
    You could always check to see if the superuser icon is still there. Or try to run an app that requires superuser access
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S - Fascinate
    Quote Originally Posted by lieblax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndacate View Post
    BTW:

You could always check to see if the superuser icon is still there. Or try to run an app that requires superuser access
    The super user icon is still there, yes. I didn't do ANYTHING with the root, including installing any apps that would require SU privileges. Are there any that come on the phone that I can try navigating to and running?

I noticed that z4root has a "temporary" and "permanent" root...what's the difference in terms of what it does...because I'm thinking maybe the root I did before was a permanent root..which would mean I gotta SBF it...and I really don't want to do that..

So anybody have any other suggestions?
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    d2g
    If the superuser thing is still there then you are still rooted. The temporary root will root your phone until you reboot it, while permanent will permanently root it, unless of course you click unroot after you permanently root it
  7. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    Afaik sbf is ONLY Motorola phones. Not Samsung.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S - Fascinate
    Quote Originally Posted by lieblax View Post
    If the superuser thing is still there then you are still rooted. The temporary root will root your phone until you reboot it, while permanent will permanently root it, unless of course you click unroot after you permanently root it
    Oh, no, that's definitely not it, rebooted many times.

Quote Originally Posted by guidot View Post
    Afaik sbf is ONLY Motorola phones. Not Samsung.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).
    Ah, okay...****.

------------------

I can't believe I didn't think about this before, I still have all the original files I used to unroot..wow, what an idiot.

So...I needed the usb drivers for the GalaxyS, I'm guessing those were for windows, though. has 0-21 folders in it, Simmental, Siberian, Swallowtail, etc.

The other is called FascinateRoot_v02, it has a Superuser.apk application IN it, along with a bunch of scripts, rage.bin img, and a binary called adb.exe. If I had to guess I'd say the scripts threw that image on and the superuser app, and ran the exploit externally. It also has busybox in it. This kind of root make sense to anybody? I can give a full file list of that dir if you want.

I'm thinking that's why Superuser stayed..but I still don't know if i can just uninstall Superuser, then unroot the phone, and check to see if it's still rooted, now that Superuser is gone.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S - Fascinate
    *bumpitty bump?
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Twitter
    @Body_Bagz
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    All I can tell you, is that explains how you got rooted...and it wasnt through titanium Back-up....

I have forgotten..what is it you are trying to do again?

Bagz Droid Razr, Most Nearly Bone Stock
    ...Rooted...ROM`d too many times to list...and still kicking iPhones in the @$$ on a daily basis....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links