DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Adfree and Words with Friends

  1. Senior Droid
    keithsmith22's Avatar
    Member #
    39895
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    165
    Twitter
    @keithsmith22
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #1

    Adfree and Words with Friends

    OK. I decided to give adfree a try. While it has worked perfectly on all the other games, it messes up Words with Friends. To the point you can't play it. A large website link shows up and covers the whole screen. I uninstalled adfree but its effects seem to be permanent. Is there a way to reverse it?

    TIA
    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction and persistent in prayer"
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Droid Sensei
    BayouFlyFisher's Avatar
    Member #
    14195
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    4,969
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    #2
    Have you tried a reboot?

    Can you go to manage applications/all/words with friends and clear the cache?

    Good luck.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  4. Senior Droid
    keithsmith22's Avatar
    Member #
    39895
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    165
    Twitter
    @keithsmith22
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #3
    I tried all those things. I even uninstalled and re-installed the app from the Market. Still nothing. It's a pain because I play that game a lot.
    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction and persistent in prayer"
  5. Droid Newbie
    Bob The Great's Avatar
    Member #
    174707
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #4
    Uninstalling adfree won't reset your hosts file, which is what is actually doing the ad blocking (or redirecting, more correctly).

    Reinstall adfree and do a "revert" to clear your hosts file, then reboot to clear your DNS cache, and try WWF again. Alternatively, you can use something like root explorer to just delete the hosts file and then reboot, and it will recreate itself without all of the blocked URL's.
  6. Droid
    sirdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    90460
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    60
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by keithsmith22 View Post
    OK. I decided to give adfree a try. While it has worked perfectly on all the other games, it messes up Words with Friends. To the point you can't play it. A large website link shows up and covers the whole screen. I uninstalled adfree but its effects seem to be permanent. Is there a way to reverse it?

    TIA
    I am having the same problem playing words with friends. I am attaching a screenshot of the error. Any help to clear this error would be highly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adfree and Words with Friends-cap201102281913.jpg  
  7. Droid
    sirdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    90460
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    60
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Uninstalling adfree won't reset your hosts file, which is what is actually doing the ad blocking (or redirecting, more correctly).

    Reinstall adfree and do a "revert" to clear your hosts file, then reboot to clear your DNS cache, and try WWF again. Alternatively, you can use something like root explorer to just delete the hosts file and then reboot, and it will recreate itself without all of the blocked URL's.
    Thanks Bob The Great, your suggestion worked. You are the man!
  8. Droid Newbie
    Bob The Great's Avatar
    Member #
    174707
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #7
    No problem.
  9. Droid Newbie
    blakzer0's Avatar
    Member #
    175931
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    #8

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by sirdroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keithsmith22 View Post
    OK. I decided to give adfree a try. While it has worked perfectly on all the other games, it messes up Words with Friends. To the point you can't play it. A large website link shows up and covers the whole screen. I uninstalled adfree but its effects seem to be permanent. Is there a way to reverse it?

    TIA
    I am having the same problem playing words with friends. I am attaching a screenshot of the error. Any help to clear this error would be highly appreciated.
    I had the same problem. but I didn't want to get rid of AdFree. I found this post: Words With Friends Free & AdFree Android FIX Lambert on Tech . This will still give you Ads on Words With Friends but keep the rest of your apps ad free.

    If you are familiar with the Android Terminal Emulator application you can run the following commands:
    Code:
    su root
    mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    vi /system/etc/hosts
    ?androidsdk.ads
    dd
    ?mydas.mobi
    dd
    :wq
  10. Droid Newbie
    Cpipkins's Avatar
    Member #
    128760
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    Posts
    4
    Phone
    Droid X
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Uninstalling adfree won't reset your hosts file, which is what is actually doing the ad blocking (or redirecting, more correctly).

    Reinstall adfree and do a "revert" to clear your hosts file, then reboot to clear your DNS cache, and try WWF again. Alternatively, you can use something like root explorer to just delete the hosts file and then reboot, and it will recreate itself without all of the blocked URL's.

    This fixed the issue for me, after several days of wondering what happened to my game. It also affected my TMZ app with the same type of long link after clicking on a story. Thank you so much for the input and help! This fixed that issue as well.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Words with friends???
    By jrl9851 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 12:54 PM
  2. Words with friends
    By nygrich in forum Android Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2011, 07:40 AM
  3. Words with Friends
    By nannysdroid in forum New Member Introductions & Site Assistance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 03:13 PM
  4. Words with friends
    By magikmarkur in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 08:51 PM
  5. words with friends
    By arsenutsjr in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 01:10 PM

Search tags for this page

block ads on words with friends

,

block ads words with friends

,

block words with friends ads

,
blocking ads on words with friends
,
free ad block from android words with friends
,

how to block ads on words with friends

,
how to get rid of ads on words with friends
,

how to stop ads on words with friends

,
stop words with friends ads
,

words with friends block ads

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+