DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Ringtones or lack thereof!?!

1. Junior Droid
    Member #

Ringtones or lack thereof!?!

I am new to this and yet n my tinkering, I have found out a few things and am yet to trash my phone. I have two issues (at the moment):

1) I am getting the hang of setting ringtones. The tones I have downloaded I have gotten into my ringtone folder and I have set several. Problem: When I go to set the tone for Text notification,only the pre-installed ringtones show up (and I don't really like any of them!)

2) I came over from an LG Envy2. Setting up text groups was a breeze. I grabbed Handcent but making groups is still not working. I am a hot dog guy and need to text menu's out to about 20 folks every morning starting Monday! Any help would be appreciated!

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    1) Create a folder called notifications on your SD card. Anything put in there will show up as a notification tone.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsABeach View Post
    1) Create a folder called notifications on your SD card. Anything put in there will show up as a notification tone.
    Bingo. OP, you've got the handle on this. The 'ringtone' folder you created works only for ringtones. You just need to create the 'notifications' folder on your SD card and the text notifications list will have the sounds/mp3s you've added!
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    Bingo. OP, you've got the handle on this. The 'ringtone' folder you created works only for ringtones. You just need to create the 'notifications' folder on your SD card and the text notifications list will have the sounds/mp3s you've added!
    Im a newbie to all this and dont even know how to find or create a folder. Ive figured out how to download some tones off of Zedge. And Ive downloaded some ringtones off of Mytinyphone.com and i cannot find my download screen and i dont have a clue how to make em my ringtone. PLZ HELP ME!!!!! ANYBODY?? PS ill need a complete walk through. Sorry bout the thread jack lol
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    No prob Squatch! Any newbie in need is a friend indeed. I've actually accidentally found out how to attach to contacts, then realized I hadn't actually paid much attention. Had to refigure it out. It's a whole new ballgame from phone to smartphone, but it is so cool, it just doesn't matter!
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatchs Droid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    Im a newbie to all this and dont even know how to find or create a folder. Ive figured out how to download some tones off of Zedge. And Ive downloaded some ringtones off of Mytinyphone.com and i cannot find my download screen and i dont have a clue how to make em my ringtone. PLZ HELP ME!!!!! ANYBODY?? PS ill need a complete walk through. Sorry bout the thread jack lol
    No problem boss.
    To access your SD card you're gonna need a file explorer. I recommend either Astro File Manager or EStrongs File Explorer. These both work the same way as file explorer on a PC.

Once you have your file manager installed, go to the SD card and create two folders... 1) "ringtones" (all lower case) for your ringtones you'd like to use and 2) "notifications" (all lower case) for the notifications you'd like to use. Add the mp3s/sounds that you wish to use for ringtones or notifications into the proper folder.

Now when you go to select a ringtone/notification for a contact or app, the files you put into the appropriate folder will be on the list of options!

Links