DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Droid update killed battery life & gets too hot

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    This is (I think) really simple. It is an application you installed, something that is constantly polling for a location. Those calls to "get location" is what is making your "System" seem so high.

Find the rouge app, and you will find you battery drain.
    I second this, one badly managed app can wreak havoc on the battery drain/temperature.

It is normal for the back to get somewhat hot if you are charging it and using it at the same time. For instance, one night I had it plugged in while in my bed and using Google Maps and it got a little hot. Probably because my hand was across the back of it.
    Last edited by IcyDroid; 01-31-2010 at 08:30 PM.
    Ryan
    Verizon
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Motorola Droid (owned two of them )
    Motorola Q
    Motorola Razr
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Updates for you all. I managed to get the problem to go away by pulling out the battery for a few minutes. When re-inserted I found the battery level would quickly change. So it seemed like the phone was not reading the proper battery level so it would not allow the phone to charge above about 60%. Now it's working fine. I found that a few apps do cause major battery problems.

Another bit of info. I found an awesome app that will set a schedule to turn off your data and change settings at night. This is a huge battery saver. I will be posting a thread about this because it really does save battery. APNdroid will allow you to switch on and off your 3G/edge/gprs or just turn off mms and notifications. Timerific is a great program that allows you to set schedules for data, wifi, and other features of your phone. So you can basically turn off every feature of your phone from midnight to morning.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Same problem, narrowed to gmail sync

I have experienced this same problem with shortened battery life and phone heating up. I was not able to pinpoint to that update, but sounds about right. I have narrowed it down to sync'ing. If I disable sync, the phone behaves as before (similar battery life as reported in the first post). When I enable sync and look at the gmail sync settings, I can see it sync'ing over and over again. It never stops (the little sync icon never goes away) unless I just disable sync altogether. Facebook seems to be sync'ing ok.

Not sure how to zap the gmail settings back to initial to start over.

Mike
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Mine has started to get hot lately and it seems like the battery charge doesn't last as long. The major change has been the additon of the original Moto Dock which I use every night. How do I tell if it's app(s) that are misbehaving?

Also, if I need to do a hard reset, how do I go about it and will I lose my vids/music/pics on my microSD card? One more Q, will it automatically reload all my aps? If it does then it'll probably go back to heating up.

As always,
    TIA
    Last edited by DessoThumbs; 02-08-2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: a little more info
    DessoThumbs
    ........Stock S4.........
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DessoThumbs View Post
    Mine has started to get hot lately. How do I tell which app(s) are misbehaving?
    Also, if I need to do a hard reset, how do I go about it and will I lose my vids/music/pics on my microSD card? One more Q, will it automatically reload all my aps? If it does then it'll probably go back to heating up.

As always,
    TIA
    I think you really shouldn't worry about the heat. My battery got to 118 the other day and while that is high, Motorola states that 113 degrees is OK.

However if you insist on doing a hard reset:

1. Turn the Droid off. If it won’t turn off, take the battery out then place it back in.

2. Open the keyboard and press the X key while pressing and holding Power. The device will power on. Keep holding the buttons down until a yellow triangle appers.

3. Press the Camera and Volume Up buttons at the same time to get to the menu. (I had to press them several times).

4. Use the direction pad to the right of the keyboard to select the Format option.

You will have to reinstall your apps. Your paid apps will be in the downloads and you won't get charged again. All data will get wiped. I'm not sure what happens with your SD card.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    All the Data on the SD Card remains.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mfvargo View Post
    I have narrowed it down to sync'ing. If I disable sync, the phone behaves as before (similar battery life as reported in the first post). When I enable sync and look at the gmail sync settings, I can see it sync'ing over and over again. It never stops (the little sync icon never goes away) unless I just disable sync altogether.
    i have my sync on at all times as well, just because i like getting G-mails even when i am out and about.

i'm 19 and in college, so i am not home and near a PC as much as most. my phone has gotten noticeably warm before, but nothing i worried about. i am concerned greatly about battery life though.

i got the update out-of-box because i only got my DROID two weeks ago. i only have 1 of the 3 home screens fully devoted to apps, and the other has google search, power control, music player shortcut, and a digital clock widget. the third screen is still blank. i only have a handful of 3rd-party apps on it.

my question is, will leaving sync off really improve my battery that significantly?

(i enjoy receiving e-mails on-the-go, but i could do without most of the time if it gave me more battery!)
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kbur316 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mfvargo View Post
    I have narrowed it down to sync'ing. If I disable sync, the phone behaves as before (similar battery life as reported in the first post). When I enable sync and look at the gmail sync settings, I can see it sync'ing over and over again. It never stops (the little sync icon never goes away) unless I just disable sync altogether.
    i have my sync on at all times as well, just because i like getting G-mails even when i am out and about.

i'm 19 and in college, so i am not home and near a PC as much as most. my phone has gotten noticeably warm before, but nothing i worried about. i am concerned greatly about battery life though.

i got the update out-of-box because i only got my DROID two weeks ago. i only have 1 of the 3 home screens fully devoted to apps, and the other has google search, power control, music player shortcut, and a digital clock widget. the third screen is still blank. i only have a handful of 3rd-party apps on it.

my question is, will leaving sync off really improve my battery that significantly?

(i enjoy receiving e-mails on-the-go, but i could do without most of the time if it gave me more battery!)
    Gmail is pushed and I don't think it is much of a drain. The main drain is screen brightness. Don't use the auto screen control setting and set brightness as low as you can tolerate.

I have my phone overclocked to 1.25Ghz and screen down to min unless I'm in bright sun and I get through an entire day (off charge at 5:30 and back on charge at 10:30/11:00PM). I'll usually have 30-40% charge left by then. And I use it a lot during each day.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links