DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Phone doesn't know it's plugged into computer

  1. Senior Droid
    82DMC12's Avatar
    Member #
    49877
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    141
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    #1

    Phone doesn't know it's plugged into computer

    Hi,

    Up until yesterday, I had no problem connecting my Droid to my work computer. I would do this so that I could charge it during the afternoon.

    Now today, when I plug in, the computer does its chime, then a balloon comes up saying,

    "USB device not recognized.
    One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it"

    I've tried doing a battery pull and unmount/remount the SD card. USB debugging is on.

    It doesn't work on either computer in my office all of a sudden - a Windows 7 64 bit desktop or a Dell server running Win Server 2003 R2.

    The Droid doesn't do anything at all when I plug it in, it won't charge or ask me to mount the SD card.

    Any ideas? This may have started with the latest OTA which I received on Sat night. I'm not positive it has worked since then.

    Andy
  2. Super Moderator
    furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Member #
    78594
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Posts
    10,371
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    #2
    Reboot the computer; that solves 99% of the problems. The other 1% will require a driver reinstall. If there's still an issue let me know.
  3. Senior Droid
    82DMC12's Avatar
    Member #
    49877
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    141
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    Reboot the computer; that solves 99% of the problems. The other 1% will require a driver reinstall. If there's still an issue let me know.
    Hi, Should have said I did reboot the computer as well. Can you provide me any assistance?

    Andy
  4. Super Moderator
    furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Member #
    78594
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Posts
    10,371
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    #4
    If you have administrator access then get into the device manager and uninstall the Droid. Once you've done that, plug the phone back in. You may need to install the latest Motorola drivers. Heck, if you have admin access, just install this, use it to clean out the old drivers and install the new ones.

    http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/..._bit_4.7.1.zip

    Unzip it, install it, then clean out the old drivers, reboot the PC in question, then install new ones, reboot (one of these reboots is unneeded, but this should help make sure it works the first time), then plug the phone in. See if that helps.
  5. Senior Droid
    82DMC12's Avatar
    Member #
    49877
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    141
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    #5
    Hey Fur,

    Thanks for the help so far. I downloaded and ran the program you linked me to. I rebooted but still no dice. Same balloon pop-up...

    When you say, uninstall and reinstall the drivers, I assume the file you sent me was doing that automatically? If so, the computer is still not recognizing the device - it called it "unknown device" and the droid won't charge and ignored the USB connection.

    Any other ideas?

    Andy

    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    If you have administrator access then get into the device manager and uninstall the Droid. Once you've done that, plug the phone back in. You may need to install the latest Motorola drivers. Heck, if you have admin access, just install this, use it to clean out the old drivers and install the new ones.

    http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/..._bit_4.7.1.zip

    Unzip it, install it, then clean out the old drivers, reboot the PC in question, then install new ones, reboot (one of these reboots is unneeded, but this should help make sure it works the first time), then plug the phone in. See if that helps.
  6. Senior Droid
    82DMC12's Avatar
    Member #
    49877
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    141
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    #6
    Well I ran home to get my spare motorola 120V - USB charger and the phone wouldn't charge on that either. So now I was thinking it's either the phone or the USB cord.... Went out to my car and plugged the phone in - charging fine now.

    I'm guessing it's actually this cheap USB cord I have. I bought it off amazon super-cheap, in fact I bought like 4 of them. It's been plugged into my desktop at work since I unwrapped it but it must be so poorly-made it's already broken just laying on my desk.

    I'll bring a Moto-brand cord tomorrow and see if that helps.

    Andy
  7. Super Moderator
    furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Member #
    78594
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Posts
    10,371
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    #7
    A cheap USB cable could do that. Shoddy insulation causes wire cross-talk and confuses the device.

    The program I sent you the link to has to be run and then you pick "clean" at the bottom, etc.

    If the good cable doesn't work we probably still need to install and run that program.
  8. Senior Droid
    Card's Avatar
    Member #
    80919
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    167
    Twitter
    sk0tfoto
    Phone
    Incredible 2
    #8
    I'll add another vote to bad USB cable. I had a cheapo cable that I found among my drawer of assorted wiring, and it did the same thing when I plugged my Droid into my laptop. Went back to the cable that came with the phone and it worked fine.
    -Card.
    Rooted D1, ChevyNo1 1.1ghz mdV kernel, MIUI 1.6.10 ROM. Google voice/Groove IP home phone.
    Droid Incredible 2, Tiamat 1.1.5 kernel, Liquid 3.1 ROM. So far, so good!
  9. Senior Droid
    82DMC12's Avatar
    Member #
    49877
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    141
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    #9
    Today I brought an Ecomoto cord to work, plugged my phone in, and it's working like normal again. Must have been a crappy cord! Thanks for the help guys... maybe someone else with the same problem will see this and swap cords before messing with drivers!

    Andy

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. USB device not recognized when plugged into computer
    By cowpow in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 04:23 AM
  2. Droid X: Issue when plugged into computer
    By R.a.F. in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 11:56 AM
  3. when plugged into computer, nothing happens
    By dtrachtman in forum Droid Incredible Tech Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 03:01 PM
  4. Touch screen supersensitive when plugged in to the computer??
    By marcusdavidhall in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-18-2010, 09:07 PM
  5. Touchscreen goes wonky when plugged into computer via USB?
    By Oohyeah in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 10:32 AM

Search tags for this page

computer doesn't recognize lg revolution
,
computer doesnt pick up droid x
,
htc one of the usb devices attached to this computer has mal
,
i plug phone into computer but it doesnt see it
,
lg revolution won't connect to computer
,
my droid doesn't recognize that it's plugged in to my comput
,
my phone is not recognizing when its plugged into a usb
,

one of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunc

,

one of the usb devices has malfunctioned android

,
why won't my computer recognize my lg revolution
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+