DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Droid dosn't like the cold?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Unhappy Droid dosn't like the cold?

So when this winter storm came rolling across the east coast, i had my droid in the pocket of my coat as i was doing the last bit of xmas shopping. There were a couple of times when i would take it out to use, and it would either be unresponsive, or incredibly slow.

When it was slow, i tried to kill the apps that were running (thinking i had bogged it down with them), but as the phone warmed up in my hand when i walked into a store, it returned to normal even before i got the task manager on screen. And then i saw there were no running apps besides meebo and weatherbug widget. So it seems the cold temperature (18*) slows the phone down to a crawl.

The other time it was unresponsive with black screen (just the home buttons lit up)....not even sliding the keyboard open did anything. Pressing and holding the power button did nothing either, but the phone reset it self, and again, after warming up, it seemed to return to normal.

Anyone else have these experiences??

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Most electronics have an operating temperature.

After it gets below a certain temperature a lot of them will stop working as a protective measure. I have seen both the too hot and too cold extremes on an old phone I used to have.

Nothing to be worried about as long as it works now.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Mine worked fine in 15 degree weather we had today..
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Mine worked fine in 15 degree weather we had today..
    Where were you keeping it?

The original poster kept his droid in his coat pocket. The radiant body heat would not of effected much there. If you were keeping it your pants pocket it would keep the temperature much higher since it's closer to your skin naturally. You would be able to pull it out and use it without the droid radiating it's heat and keep the core temperature warm enough to use.

You can probably find the operating temperatures in your owners manual.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Mine does it every time I am in the cold weather - exactly what you described, but as I return to warmer temps, everything's fine. Never resulted in any damages from it, so I'd say there's nothing to really be too concerned with from this.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Here's an article from popular mechanics.

Can Cold Weather Damage Cell Phones? - Frozen Gadget Test - Popular Mechanics

There is probably a shut off built into the firmware OS that will turn it off before hand. Also wind you take into effect that it was windy that could also take more of the radiant heat away.
  8. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Belt clip is where I had mine.... would have been pain to get out of pants...Also wind chill has no bearing on non-living objects.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Belt clip is where I had mine.... would have been pain to get out of pants...Also wind chill has no bearing on non-living objects.
    Actually it does. The non living things cannot "feel" the cold. However the wind will blow the heat away from things. Think overpasses freezing before the roads. Or hypothermia. It's the same theory.

It's not the wind chill. It's the wind itself sapping the heat energy away.

The wind chill will not neccesarily effect the device the same way the temperature does because wind chill is an arbitrary number we assign based on how things feel. But the more the wind blows against a device thats exposed the lower the radiant temperature.

EDIT: The owners manual also says to not expose the battery to temperatures below freezing. Granted you can but your battery preformance degrades signifcantly after that.
    Last edited by zudien; 12-20-2009 at 06:47 PM.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    I think I responded to this same question in another post but I did a photo shoot for 3 days in zero(F) temps and my Droid kept right on chugging. Humidity was relatively low but my phone only went above freezing (32F) at night when I got home and no adverse effects. It's funny because it was so cold that the lube in my Nikon lenses froze and stopped working. Droid withstood the cold temps on Mt Hood.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I dropped my phone in the snow today (yes I know, stupid) but it still worked fine.
    Motorola Droid - Cyanogenmod 6.0.0-Droid | apps2SD | bekit 1200

Sent from my computer through thousands of network nodes to the DroidForums web/mySQL server, then from the web/mySQL server through thousands more of network nodes to your viewing device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links